Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• @Malone said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@bluenotes said:
    I had to smile at reading Derby fans calling Wycombe a tin-pot club. At least Wycombe have a pot! Derby don't even have the Pi$$ Pot Stadium.

Wycombe Wanderers don't own Adams Park.

Pick your battles

Yes technically the club don't own the stadium, the trust do.
    But the trust will surely always be linked to "a" Wycombe Wanderers, and thus the club are even more safe guarded.

To be pedantic, FAL own the Stadium.

• edited February 2022

@mooneyman said:

@Malone said:

@bluenotes said:
    I had to smile at reading Derby fans calling Wycombe a tin-pot club. At least Wycombe have a pot! Derby don't even have the Pi$$ Pot Stadium.

Pick your battles

But the trust will surely always be linked to "a" Wycombe Wanderers, and thus the club are even more safe guarded.

To be pedantic, FAL own the Stadium.

Either way, it's an extra safe guard when the Couhig project reaches its end point.

• To be really pedantic FALL own the stadium.

Although, wasn't there a charge against the stadium at one point? Suspect it was cleared by the Couhigs takeover but not absolutely certain of that.

• @Malone said:

@bluenotes said:

Pick your battles

That's one way to look at it!

• edited February 2022

@floyd said:

@Malone said:

@bluenotes said:

Pick your battles

I'm trying to look at it another way.
    The club is sold to someone unscrupulous who asset strips us, leading to us going bust, but the "trust" (or FAL) own a stadium. Then what?
    Surely the aim is to restart "a" Wycombe Wanderers to play there?

• I’m being thick. I don’t understand that last sentence @Malone.

• @micra said:
    I’m being thick. I don’t understand that last sentence @Malone.

You often see a "Phoenix" club emerge when the original club goes bust.
    So "a" Wycombe Wanderers existing would always be the aim...

Like Hereford United went bust but now operate as Hereford FC

• @Malone said:

@floyd said:

@Malone said:

@bluenotes said:

Pick your battles

The club is sold to someone unscrupulous who asset strips us, leading to us going bust, but the "trust" (or FAL) own a stadium. Then what?

It's definitely a reassuring safe guard, although obviously we all hope it won't come to that. What is not reassuring is wondering if part of the Couhigs long term plan is for Wycombe Wanderers to no longer play at AP.

• @floyd said:

@Malone said:

@floyd said:

@Malone said:

@bluenotes said:

Pick your battles

It's definitely a reassuring safe guard, although obviously we all hope it won't come to that. What is not reassuring is wondering if part of the Couhigs long term plan is for Wycombe Wanderers to no longer play at AP.

It won’t be in my lifetime (which isn’t saying much!) but I think it’s inevitable that a move will have to be made at some point, unless of course all except 5-6,000 fans move to Vipienne.

• @floyd said:

@Malone said:

@floyd said:

@Malone said:

@bluenotes said:

Pick your battles

Time will tell on that.
    Not sure how it'd work as we'd surely need to sell the ground to finance somewhere else.
    And in that case would the trust/FAL maintain ownership of the new ground? No idea.

If we did go up, and stayed up, a move would surely be talked about.
    Crowds over 7,000 feel a bit frenetic outside the ground. Twice a year is no problem, but 20 times a season could be too much.

• @micra said:

@floyd said:

@Malone said:

@floyd said:

@Malone said:

@bluenotes said:

Pick your battles

It won’t be in my lifetime (which isn’t saying much!) but I think it’s inevitable that a move will have to be made at some point, unless of course all except 5-6,000 fans move to Vipienne.

I've lost track on it, but do they still do a block for "social distancing".

Is that any sort of option for you to get back into games? Or still not worth the risk?

• @Malone I'm sure you're right, but there's all sorts of ways to fund a football ground without actually paying a penny. These are the things i worry about at 2am!

• @Malone said:

@micra said:

@floyd said:

@Malone said:

@floyd said:

@Malone said:

@bluenotes said:

Pick your battles

I've lost track on it, but do they still do a block for "social distancing".

Is that any sort of option for you to get back into games? Or still not worth the risk?

I’m not really that worried about Covid. The ticker and reduced mobility (through sheer laziness plus anxiety about “episodes” if I go out walking - so virtually no exercise - for two years) are the main factors but I’m working on it and, when the weather warms up, who knows.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

Pick your battles

It wasn't intended as any form of battle. I just found it ironic that fans of a club drowning in debt, with no assets, and may not even exist in the very near future, could refer to any club as being tin-pot.

• Interesting timing as well if true

• Interesting but IMHO a diversion. Our 'claim' was based on the deliberate withholding of accounts that would (likely) have resulted in further points deduction within the 20/21 season. It would seem that Derby now have a beef with the actual disciplinary process of the EFL. Good luck!!

• If nothing else the EFL needs to be sorted out once and for all. Our beef with Derby would not exist if they had acted promptly instead of sabre rattling and then giving extensions. The whole 2 sets of fixtures thing was total bullsh1t and we all knew it. No way would they swap teams around after the season had started as each team would have respective squads by then. Whilst it’s nice to have representatives from clubs on EFL board it’s nonsense that these are the key decision makers as there is no way they will not vote for self interest and bias.
    About the only thing I agree with the derby fans is that our dispute should be with the EFL but the rules prevent that.

• This will never happen - Derby fans insist this is parasitic behaviour and would never allow it!

• I hope the EFL tell Derby to piss off and start their own league for cheats.

• edited February 2022

From The Athletic: 'Wycombe Wanderers have received no fresh contact from Derby County’s administrators or Derby owner Mel Morris and the club do not feel a resolution of their legal claim is imminent.'

Sounds like this could rumble on for a little while yet...

• edited February 2022

Interesting, though, to see one of the administrators pretty much saying our claim is so negligible that prospective buyers don't even need to take it into account.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Interesting, though, to see one of the administrators pretty much saying our claim is so negligible that prospective buyers don't even need to take it into account.

Derbys administrators are rumoured to have the funds after someone mysteriously bought a balti pie for £8.6 million more than the advertised price

• Profits from the Rooney docco starting to flow?

• No, WWFC catering are supplying the Balti Pies.

• If they continue their current form, you can probably add a 41st to that... A new manager.

• A really doubt that Rob would have bothered if the claim was under £100k