Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• @Wendoverman said:
    They got nothing on me...except being uneducated and narcissistic

A birthday suit by the sounds

• Right, the starting 12 players thing, we doing that right?

• Poor Derby. No sooner do they get one rule relaxed than another one pops up which needs relaxing. Busy times for them!

• Next May: "Derby ask the EFL to relax rules around the bottom club being relegated. There were mitigating circumstances, in that they were crap."

• In for a penny...

• @Wendoverman said:
    In for a penny...

Yeah, that'd probably buy them

• 'Wycombe ask EFL to supply a 30 goal a season striker to ensure promotion from League One as presently they do not have the money to buy one which obviously puts them in an unfairly difficult situation when playing other clubs...'

• @Wendoverman said:
    'Wycombe ask EFL to supply a 30 goal a season striker to ensure promotion from League One as presently they do not have the money to buy one which obviously puts them in an unfairly difficult situation when playing other clubs...'

I see a striking similarity between the Government and the EFL. Make it up as you go along!

• edited July 2021

I am sure all decisions by both of those august bodies are reached after a long process of intelligence gathering and assessment... :smile:

• They are a shower of sh1te the EFL. What’s the point of embargo?
    They are now set to sign Ravel Morrison. This is not Bolton of 2 seasons ago that we’re playing with kids because of a similar circumstance. Why were they double punished but Wayne Rooney’s Derby County ™️ Not?

• edited July 2021

Derby: "I look down on Bolton".
    Bolton: "I look up at Derby, but down on Bury."
    Bury: "I know my place."

• Derby are very quickly becoming an annoying bastad of a club aren't they.

• Surely there’s no way Derby will stay up this season!

• Reading the excuse makes it even more maddening. They can’t play under 23s cos of player safety and under 23s don’t come by unless they’ve made a first team appearance. Even though most of theirs have.

Bolton should take action.

• Yes but the only reason most of the u-21s had is because they were made to play an FA cup tie when their first team squad was riddled with Covid. It's a fair ruling.

We really need to stop all this, it's worthy of the likes of Alan Swann.

• @eric_plant said:
    Yes but the only reason most of the u-21s had is because they were made to play an FA cup tie when their first team squad was riddled with Covid. It's a fair ruling.

We really need to stop all this, it's worthy of the likes of Alan Swann.

My two issues with this are that Bolton had to play kids 2 seasons ago. Tough sh1t from the EFL there. And they have to sign players on wage restrictions. The latter statement is so vague that they are now on the verge of signing Jagielka and Morrison. Two players who I’m sure won’t be interested in restricted wages immediately making a mockery of the ruling.

Derby are existing their next 4 weeks with the sword of Damocles hanging over them and all these little things feel like a death by a thousand cuts to me.

• edited July 2021

If I were the EFL, I'd try a bit harder not to look like I was changing the rules for bigger clubs - because that's how it comes across.

• edited July 2021

Wigan are another club who can feel aggrieved by this. Reeks of double standards - not that I've been remotely surprised by anything the EFL does for a long time.

• I'm not convinced that Derby are a bigger club than Bolton.

• @Chris said:
    I'm not convinced that Derby are a bigger club than Bolton.

Nah, you're probably right generally speaking, but I guess I mean in terms of current status.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Chris said:

Nah, you're probably right generally speaking, but I guess I mean in terms of current status.

Give it a year

• @StrongestTeam said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Chris said:

Give it a year

You mean when we're bigger than both of them?

• The reason they are short of players is only in part due to covid, it's mostly due to them consistently not paying them and having to release them. These sort of dispensations should be based on goodwill and not handed out to basket case clubs that already have a variety of suspended sentences hanging over them

• Might be a sneaky ploy by the EFL to get them, saying yes you can go sign all these players, knowing full well that that can't afford them, then as soon as they don't pay the wages the EFL can hit them with a points deduction

• "That they"

• Really sad to see a club so obviously floundering being allowed to carry on gorging themselves towards another inevitable problem when the real help is to say stop.

Bolton were told to stop and arguably are in a better place now than if they'd been allowed the same scope as Derby. I am certain the Wayne Rooney element of 'Wayne Rooney's Derby County' is the key driver in the for a spineless Football League.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Really sad to see a club so obviously floundering being allowed to carry on gorging themselves towards another inevitable problem when the real help is to say stop.

Bolton were told to stop and arguably are in a better place now than if they'd been allowed the same scope as Derby. I am certain the Wayne Rooney element of 'Wayne Rooney's Derby County' is the key driver in the for a spineless Football League.

Another driver is that the EFL have already spent £££ and time trying and failing to hold them accountable and probably don't fancy another defeat based on their wholly useless regulatory framework.

• What I find really odd is the accounts. They have to file by the latest on the 18th of August and pretty much everyone who comments say they will demonstrate a failure of FFP. So once again they will be charged and once again they will face penalties. It like giving a drunk some car keys and saying make your way home and then waiting to arrest them.
    And if they are signing 'stars' on 'decent' wages as they are allowed to now (free or not) then surely they are simply getting into more of a financial pickle.