Skip to content

Match day thread: Cardiff

Comments

• @Wendoverman said:
    Aah the dream is over! Its been a wild ride. Season tickets on sale Monday? ?

And able to secure the same seat at the same price.

Bargain.

• Brilliant performance today.

I’m just sorry we couldn’t be there to clap them off.

• oh well the dream is over but how awesome has this season been and to have got to 44 games before we were relegated speaks volumes about the squad and the staff; just so fucking proud of them all and what they have achieved

• “All but relegated” ? Come on Three Counties man. What planet are you on?

• Great effort from the team. Just didn't quite have the energy today.

Disappointed, but certainly not despondent. We've given it a real go, which is what we all wanted. We'll be going down with a much stronger squad and a lot more financially secure.

• We've taken it to game 45 at least then. Albeit on needing a massive goal difference swing.
    And that's probably about 15 games further than it looked after our start.

• Come on fellas.... Derby lose last 2 games by 6 or 7 goals, we win last 2 games by 6 or 7... keep dreaming

• Heroic efforts over the last few weeks. Very proud of the lot of them.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Come on fellas.... Derby lose last 2 games by 6 or 7 goals, we win last 2 games by 6 or 7... keep dreaming

It's easier than that.. just need to be 3 or 4!

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Come on fellas.... Derby lose last 2 games by 6 or 7 goals, we win last 2 games by 6 or 7... keep dreaming

It might be going full Graham Taylor but if Derby lose heavily and we win...

• Tickets go on sale Monday

• Imagine if could have had this squad at the start of the season. Yet again we go toe to toe with a team that cost multi millions and take them to the line.

• Taking it to the 45th game of the season, even if only on a technicality, is a huge achievement. I think if Wycombe Wanderers April 2021 played Wycombe Wanderers August 2020 it wouldn't be a close game.

Bit sad right now, but proud nonetheless. We'll be back.

• Start planning to come straight back up now.

• Amazing performance this season. Let’s win the last two games and get over 40 points. Totally confident we can be competitive next season and have a real go at getting back up.

• Just wish we'd been able to be there this afternoon to give them the support they deserve and show how proud we are of them.

Love this club.

• We've been great all season but magnificent over the last few weeks especially. Never looked like we'd almost take it to the end during the depths of winter, but we have to be proud of everyone's efforts. Gareth's post-match interview was filled with positivity, and next season with the fans in should be special. Now let's get off the bottom and pass 40 points.

• I just tweeted a video of me clapping to @wwfcofficial. Too shy to put it on here. Only regret is that we all couldn't do it in person.

• Yes, we have 2 games to play and our aim must be to win both and finish off the bottom of the table.
    Sure it would be almost to much to bear to only be relegated on goal difference, but that's the challenge for Dobbo and Gareth - win these next 2 games.

• edited April 2021

Given the circumstances of the season, I've enjoyed it much more than I thought I would and I'm dead proud of the team for the way they've battled and grown into the season. If you'd offered me the chance, during that difficult start in September and October, to be in with a shout of survival until today, I'd have been delighted.

Great to hear Gaz say he wants to win these last two games and not finish bottom. That's the spirit.

• @Twizz said:
    Yes, we have 2 games to play and our aim must be to win both and finish off the bottom of the table.
    Sure it would be almost to much to bear to only be relegated on goal difference, but that's the challenge for Dobbo and Gareth - win these next 2 games.

Could you imagine if we went down and Rotherham stayed up, and that first day of the season would have switched us round?
    Now that would be a difficult one!

• What a whirlwind this season has been. What a squad and management team. Let's win the last 2 games and then be league one champions next year!

• Yep that would be bad. I was just thinking how are GA and Dobbo going to motivate the players in the next 2 games.

• After the start to the season and the way we were playing I was resigned to relegation by February if I’m honest. We have gone done swinging for sure and it’s been a journey.
    Some bits of luck, some bits of quality, less key injuries we would have been fine. Keeping the mentality going into next season is the challenge. Hit the ground running.
    Be interesting to see what GA intends to do with the squad as we need a second striker for sure.

• A tremendous effort from everyone at the club. I have to say I almost switched off after that Sheffield Wednesday game, which along with the Birmingham one, were two of the most soul destroying games I’ve ever watched.

To have got to 37 points and more importantly competed so well in every game since makes me feel immensely proud. Cannot wait to get back next season (fingers crossed and all that).

Be lovely to get 40 points.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    After the start to the season and the way we were playing I was resigned to relegation by February if I’m honest. We have gone done swinging for sure and it’s been a journey.
    Some bits of luck, some bits of quality, less key injuries we would have been fine. Keeping the mentality going into next season is the challenge. Hit the ground running.
    Be interesting to see what GA intends to do with the squad as we need a second striker for sure.

Will certainly be an interesting summer to see how the squad evolves.

How many of the loanees, if any can we keep?
    Which old boys retire/leave?
    Do Samuel, Kashket, even Freeman come back into more regular use thoughts as we're slipping down a division?
    Will Horgan be moved on? Or will he become the player we were expecting?

• @Malone said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    After the start to the season and the way we were playing I was resigned to relegation by February if I’m honest. We have gone done swinging for sure and it’s been a journey.

Do Samuel, Kashket, even Freeman come back into more regular use thoughts as we're slipping down a division?

I’d love to keep all three, but I think we’ve got the best chance with Ade, and no chance of keeping Knight.
    I think Blooms is done, I hope Bayo plays his last year with us. I can’t see why he wouldn’t.
    I don’t think Horgan or Freeman will be here next season, Kashket and Samuel should feature pretty heavily.

• edited April 2021

@floyd said:

@Malone said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

I’d love to keep all three, but I think we’ve got the best chance with Ade, and no chance of keeping Knight.
    I think Blooms is done, I hope Bayo plays his last year with us. I can’t see why he wouldn’t.
    I don’t think Horgan or Freeman will be here next season, Kashket and Samuel should feature pretty heavily.

Will be interesting what happens with Charles.
    Would be a huge surprise if he stays on after featuring so little, but maybe he can still do it in league one?

At 33, he's surely too young to retire though. But will he find a club as sensitive and willing to rest him midweek and suchlike?

I wonder if Bloomfield can be retained as an emergency player. A bit like when Gareth was on the bench a bit one season after retiring properly. Not sure how that'd fit in with the squad limits these days.

Think you're right on the rest.

• Great, if galling season. Love this team, this manager, this club!

• Another great shame not to be able to show appreciation to the team today. Got undone by Cardiff’s best player twice to show just how well we’ve done to be competitive this season. The way he took both goals was top class and something we don’t have.

Two more games to try to win. I’m not ready for next season chat until then