Skip to content

Farewell Away Kit.

13»

Comments

• Players No6 my first pack of fags. 62p for a pack of 10 from Archies in Terriers (aged 14). Of course, in those glory days, Archies had a cigarette vending machine outside which was even less bothered about your age than Mr Archie himself.

Favoured these on a match day for superstitious reasons https://images.app.goo.gl/B842FTHEpg8ZfAcJ6

Even though impractical, I loved an American soft pack. Always wondered about the reason they went for them and we sold ours in boxes?

• Silk Cut were my first

Like breathing fresh air

• Started on whatever wa sin the vending machine outside the local shop (No6 or No10) then moved onto Embassy Regal, followed by Gold Leaf, then Marlboro, then Camel non-tipped (when I lived in Brussels), now I smoke roll ups. I also occasionally bought Park Drive rather than Camel.

• edited April 2021

@arnos_grove said:
    Players No6 my first pack of fags. 62p for a pack of 10 from Archies in Terriers (aged 14). Of course, in those glory days, Archies had a cigarette vending machine outside which was even less bothered about your age than Mr Archie himself.

Favoured these on a match day for superstitious reasons https://images.app.goo.gl/B842FTHEpg8ZfAcJ6

Even though impractical, I loved an American soft pack. Always wondered about the reason they went for them and we sold ours in boxes?

The best place in town to buy fags and booze while wearing a school uniform.

I think the first pack I bought there was Lambert and Butler because they were cheaper than a Freddo and a packet of Space Rangers. Of course, that’s a lesson you only need to learn once.

• edited April 2021

Ha ha....I remember vividly a night as a student when Lambert & Butler was all that was left in the vending machine

Like you say, you don't do that again

• In a southern pub, the cigarette vending machine always had about 5 out of 12 slots taken up by B&H. First time I saw Wycombe in Hull, I remember a pub that had 8 slots filled with Embassy Regal - the most northern of fags.

Lambert & Butler were atrocious. Can't believe @micra was on the Senior Service - the crack cocaine of cigarettes!

• Let's not forget about Capston Full Strength & Players Senior Service that my dad used to drag on. Anyone remember when it used to be cool to smoke them long black ones that Kojak used to smoke onscreen? Didn't the "soft packs" become popular in the late 70's early 80's? Brands like Winchester & Camel.

• Talk about thread drift; that's the Away Kit chat gone up in smoke!?

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Talk about thread drift; that's the Away Kit chat gone up in smoke!?

I only had a brief flirtation with nicotine infusion (silk cut and cadged roll-ups) at college but it's even made me feel like a trip down to the papershop for a Mirror and 20 Embassy Regals.

• Such a drag.

• @drcongo said:
    Such a drag.

Wendoverwoman?

• @LX1 said:

@drcongo said:
    Such a drag.

Wendoverwoman?

DC are not going to run with that one I hear.

• edited April 2021

@Wendoverman said:

@Forest_Blue said:
    Or the record shop!

Selectadisc? Or the famous 'Never Mind the Bollocks' Virgin branch?

Bit of both luckily. Cleaner at Virgin (met Johnny Rotten when he came up for the court case). Shop assistant at Selectadisc...Bridlesmith Gate branch downstairs - albums...owned by the great Brian Selby (an ex- miner)

• I never had the latin to get in there. One of the friends i had at sixth form worked at selectadisc on kings street for years...tall bloke called Neil who looked like the lead singer from Blancmange! We were always very jealous as he was always on the guest list at Rock City!!