Skip to content

Match day thread: Barnsley

14567810»

Comments

• But beyond the clumsy mocking (apologies) I am sure a number of us on here remember the Rothmans Isthmian League.

Disregarding the implied encouragement to smoke (not that Bodger needed any) it was the first league to introduce 3 points for a win and, in the context of the debate, a fair play system. As a young(ish) fan back then it really seemed to matter and not getting bookings was a great source of pride (if memory serves we had 2 in 2 seasons) and financially (probably not greatly) rewarding.

Did I dream it but wasn’t there some scheme a year or two ago where clubs with good records got a Europa league place or something?

The current state of affairs is pretty embarrassing at every level - including as supporters.

My solution would be to make the manager responsible for the behaviour of the players on the pitch and hit them with fines. That would change things...

• @glasshalffull said:

@eric_plant said:

"I said that if we obeyed the laws and acted in a sportsmanlike manner it would be to our detriment"

I don't have to twist anything. Those are your own words and you've already said that you argued this at a board meeting.

I'm not having a go, believe it or not, I just think it's sad if that's the case (is if you're right in what you're saying).

Personally, I would like to see us set the best example of behaviour even if it does cost us.

We're all different though and I'll bet loads of fans agree with what you said.

You have conveniently left out the last part of my sentence ‘unless every other team did exactly the same thing.’

But they don't do they, so therefore you don't want us to.

That's right isn't it?

• Retrospective punishment is the way forward for me. A three match ban for the Norwich fella who stamped on Fred and threw himself to the floor would make him think twice about doing it again. Barnsley would quickly be reduced to playing youth teamers to make up a full 11.

• @eric_plant said:
    It's a sad situation when someone wanting their team to act in a respectful and sportsmanlike manner is something to be mocked

Cheating at sport to get a unfair advantage! never would happen in my day. Bally scoundrels the lot of them.

• Absolute shower.

• @eric_plant said:

You have conveniently left out the last part of my sentence ‘unless every other team did exactly the same thing.’

But they don't do they, so therefore you don't want us to.

That's right isn't it?

I

I wanted a level playing field when it comes to sportsmanship and I didn’t want us to be the mugs who would be taken advantage of by every other team. If you think that Corinthian spirit can overcome the hard nosed professionalism of football at this level you are living in a dream world.

• The right thing is the right thing

Sad that you think doing it makes us mugs. I'll agree to disagree

• Associates of mine from other clubs have cottoned on to the fact that the EFL have bribed refs to ensure we go down. It is important that we stay classy in the face of this injustice. Life is unfair. Stay true to your morals.

• @eric_plant said:
    The right thing is the right thing

Sad that you think doing it makes us mugs. I'll agree to disagree

Cheating has been integrated into the game to such a degree that it would be almost impossible to remove it.
    Games are full of diving, shirt pulling, elbowing and feigning injury, stealing a couple of yards on a free kick or throw in, and time wasting. And referees are part of the process, they not only allow it but reward those proficient at it.
    Any manager that attempted to remove it from his teams play would struggle because professional players are taught to do it since from childhood and God forbid if he actually succeeded would be out of a job after a string of cricket score losses.
    If you want a sport with teams that play up play up and play the game professional football is about a million miles from where you want to be.
    Our problem this year is that someone somewhere has decided we should go down and thus a team that would still struggle in the championship is refereed to the very bottom.
    I sound cynical but there’s still a lot of good stuff in football and financially this season has been a lifesaver, believe it or not I’m actually incredibly excited about next season.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Absolute shower.

Those words appeared in my head (though with shower pronounced more like "shaaar") the second I saw that picture of Terry Thomas. I haven't seen that film in 40 years.

• You’re older than I thought @drcongo !

• Mention of Terry-Thomas for some reason made me think of Leslie Phillips and the Navy Lark. A few years ago we saw him once or twice, ‘wearing’ a monocle, in TK Max in Aylesbury. I was surprised then that he was still alive, if not exactly kicking, but I’m even more surprised now to discover that he got married (I think for the third time) seven years ago and to read that he “is, not “was” an actor etc etc. He is 96.

• Did you shout 'Ding Dong!' @micra ?

• Damn. I only listened a couple of times to the Navy Lark so the catch phrase didn’t spring to mind. He might have heard it once or twice since 1977.

• I still believe that the best referee ever was Pierluigi Colina. The way he managed a game should be the template in all training for referees. Apart from being as fit as the butchers dog, he had a death stare & was in constant communication with the players. He rarely had to give out two warnings, wasn’t afraid to use a yellow card & didn’t mind if he had to use a red. The players knew it and as such, exercised caution before engaging mouths. The game was a lot better for it!

• Leslie Phillips wearing a monocle in TK Maxx in Aylesbury is the greatest mental image ever conjured up on the gasroom. Thanks @micra

• @micra said:
    Damn. I only listened a couple of times to the Navy Lark so the catch phrase didn’t spring to mind. He might have heard it once or twice since 1977.

It is sad I know this but I think 'ding dong' came from a Carry On film...I believe his catchphrase from the Navy Lark was - when guiding the man steering the ship...'Now left hand down a bit...'

I'm not as old as I seem...but they played them a lot on the radio during the power cuts of the 1970s when you just had candles and a battery powered transistor radio!

The fact he is still alive is excellent...allied to visiting TK Maxx is a delight. Mrs W is convinced she saw Bernie Clifton (without ostrich legs) in Wilkinson's yesterday. It;s all go in Aylesbury.

• On Terry Thomas and how he died of Parkinson’s in poverty . If he was at his peak today he would probably be a multi millionaire.

• @drcongo said:
    Retrospective punishment is the way forward for me. A three match ban for the Norwich fella who stamped on Fred and threw himself to the floor would make him think twice about doing it again. Barnsley would quickly be reduced to playing youth teamers to make up a full 11.

As would we, I have to say. And we don't have a youth team.

• I thought we looked positively genteel compared with Barnsley. We just don’t have the players (with the odd exception) to compete with them when it comes to such outright physical aggression. I’m glad we don’t. The majority of our squad are around average height and weight and depend more on ball playing skills than the kind of physical domination and sustained intensity that seems to be the essence of Barnsley’s approach.

On recent evidence, Barnsley have a realistic chance of being in the playoffs and, as someone else has commented, none of the other contenders would relish playing against them. Watching them playing against Premier League royalty could make interesting viewing.

• Anyone know what the goal celebration from their penalty taker was at the time I thought it was just the usual playground nonsense . He’s accused on Facebook of miming something pretty unacceptable.

• @MorrisItal_ He mimed taking a crap by the corner flag then flushing the loo.

• You forget a lot of these players are basically kids. Until you hear about that sort of goal celebration! (I didn't see it at the time)

• @Uncle_T said:
    @MorrisItal_ He mimed taking a crap by the corner flag then flushing the loo.

If that had been in front of a full terrace God knows what the reaction would have been. The club ought to contact FA so they can instruct the simpleton on appropriate celebrations, imagine what would happen if he did it again at Millwall.

• Pretty sure that, with a crowd present, the cowardly depraved simpleton perpetrator would have had just enough basic instinct to prevent him going ahead with his vile mime. He should certainly be appropriately disciplined.

• @micra said:
    Pretty sure that, with a crowd present, the cowardly depraved simpleton perpetrator would have had just enough basic instinct to prevent him going ahead with his vile mime. He should certainly be appropriately disciplined.

Agreed. He wouldn't have done that with a crowd present. Even before that moronic goal 'celebration' (??) I've always see Cauley Woodrow as a world leading simpleton and have often wondered how our centre backs haven't just punched him. He's found a club that supports that behaviour so I guess it's up to crowds to hold them to account.
    Any coincidence that Barnsley have picked up form since crowds were banned from stadiums?

• According to FIFA a caution is appropriate if “A player makes gestures which are provocative, derisory or inflammatory when celebrating a goal”

Hopefully the club has put that in the referees report that way the idiot will be watched in future.