Skip to content

Match day thread: Preston

12346»

Comments

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    He was offside, and kicked the keeper in the face, as shown on the Quest highlights.

If he was offside (which he wasn’t) and had kicked the keeper in the face (which he didn’t), it would go nowhere near making up for the decisions that have gone against us this season.

• @glasshalffull said:

@Doob said:
    Can't believe no one's making the usual complaints about the officials for allowing a goal when it was clearly offside.

Why be negative after such a positive result? I assume you mean Ickpeazu in which case you are wrong as he was not ‘clearly offside’ as even the majority of Preston fans admitted on their forum.

? if that had gone against is you'd be absolutely fuming

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    He was offside, and kicked the keeper in the face, as shown on the Quest highlights.

Good. That's one of the several dozen 'even outs,' we've got to look forward to.

• @Wendoverman said:

@MorrisItal_ said:
    We may not be able to stay up this season but we can gatecrash a few championship end of season parties and piss in the punch

Even after a win there are a few on here determined to piss in OUR punch!

I always wondered if Party pooper was a literal term

• > @glasshalffull said:

@Lloyd2084 said:

If he was offside (which he wasn’t) and had kicked the keeper in the face (which he didn’t), it would go nowhere near making up for the decisions that have gone against us this season.

I agree that it’s doesn’t make up for the other errors, and that was exactly the comment by Colin Murray on Quest when they showed a still of him offside.

I’m looking at it right now, it’s offside by a hand or whatever nonsense they use now, but it is offside. I’ve taken a picture on my phone, but can only seem to link to URLs to share, sorry.

• I had read the Preston fan's chat and my word can't they swear? Could do with a wider vocabulary though.

• And he did make contact with the keepers face, albeit accidentally.

• @Lloyd2084 said:

I’m looking at it right now, it’s offside by a hand or whatever nonsense they use now, but it is offside.

It’s only offside if it’s a part of your body you can legally score with. So a hand or arm below the sleeve line doesn’t count as offside.

From the still I’ve seen it’s too close to be definitive either way so it’s not clearly offside. Personally I’m pleased VAR is not used outside of the Premier League as it’s destroying the game as it’s not used for clear and obvious errors but for microscopic forensic analysis of too many decisions - and still seems wrong to many of a vast number of these judgements.

• I thought he was offside at the time, both by position and being in the line of sight of the keeper, and when I first looked at this I thought he was onside on both counts. But add the grid and leave these lines visible and it does appear his heel is offside.

I'd have been gutted if it had been given but this looks to be one of the few moments of good fortune we've had this season.

• Looked offside on the replay yesterday - without frame-freezing - but was a tight decision. Wouldn’t really have complained it if had been disallowed and would - dissecting it later, have been aggrieved if it went against us. Wasn’t a howler of a decision though.

• There was another angle on Quest where it was more obvious, albeit still tight.

@drcongo - can I share a pic from an iPhone straight to the site without having to faff with a url?

• Sadly not @Lloyd2084 - we don't allow uploads.

• Looks level to me! Thankfully no VAR for us to check these ultra marginal decisions and as there's no technology that shows the exact moment the ball leaves a players foot/head I doubt the accuracy of those lines anyway.

The Premier league plays by different rules and to my mind, the lower divisions are much more watchable without VAR

• O'Nien playing centreback?!

• @drcongo said:
    O'Nien playing centreback?!

I saw that - Sunderland fans saying he is a fantastic CB, too!

• I did the Portsmouth v Sunderland game last week where Luke played CB and he was man of the match, won everything in the air. He’s also played RB and midfield for them this season.

• Good to see him doing well, and if he ends up staying at CB, it shows truth is often stranger than fiction!

• @glasshalffull said:
    I did the Portsmouth v Sunderland game last week where Luke played CB and he was man of the match, won everything in the air. He’s also played RB and midfield for them this season.

Got to say he's looking very comfortable there today too.

• O Nien had quite a strange niche of a position with us so I'm not surprised another team have struggled to find his best position.

A strange mix of attacking midfielder who isn't at his best when on the ball, but good at harrying, heading and working hard, without being unduly defensive.

• @Doob said:
    Can't believe no one's making the usual complaints about the officials for allowing a goal when it was clearly offside.

We've all decided to follow @eric_plant and not complain about poor decisions by the officials.

• If only that were true. Some of the whinging we've seen this season has been dismal

• @eric_plant said:
    If only that were true. Some of the whinging we've seen this season has been dismal.

Moaning about decisions that go against your team is part and parcel of being a football fan and no matter how much you complain about it, that will never change.

• Yeah, you're right, and in normal years you'd do it over a pint or two in the bar after the game. I'm sure we can all agree that we can't wait to be able to do that.

I think a couple of things happened this season though. We got a couple of absolute howlers go against us, but managed to sort of collectively develop this complex where the world was against us and people were coming up with all sorts of outlandish points totals we would otherwise have and writing emails to the FA about it.

This ended up with people becoming certain that decisions had gone massively against when it really wasn't clear either way. Like the Fred offside against Luton. It might have been it might not have been but it was so so close that you couldn't really argue either way. But within about an hour of the final whistle it was being discussed as though it was on a par with the Lampard goal against Germany that wasn't given (or Indeed the Ainsworth one against Shrewsbury that was).

It's all down to the individual of course, people can write what they want and moan about what they want. I just thought it made us look like really sore losers

• Posting on a football forum has certainly lost it's neutrality and nuanced argument in recent years. Not like the old days when a loss meant a firm handshake, a cheery 'well done' and polite applause for the trumphant opposition and the officials. :smile:

• @glasshalffull said:

@eric_plant said:
    If only that were true. Some of the whinging we've seen this season has been dismal.

Moaning about decisions that go against your team is part and parcel of being a football fan and no matter how much you complain about it, that will never change.

And so is moaning about players , that you seem to have a problem with!!

• There are plenty of people who moan about our players on social media without me adding to the gripes.

• @eric_plant said:
    Yeah, you're right, and in normal years you'd do it over a pint or two in the bar after the game. I'm sure we can all agree that we can't wait to be able to do that.

I think a couple of things happened this season though. We got a couple of absolute howlers go against us, but managed to sort of collectively develop this complex where the world was against us and people were coming up with all sorts of outlandish points totals we would otherwise have and writing emails to the FA about it.

This ended up with people becoming certain that decisions had gone massively against when it really wasn't clear either way. Like the Fred offside against Luton. It might have been it might not have been but it was so so close that you couldn't really argue either way. But within about an hour of the final whistle it was being discussed as though it was on a par with the Lampard goal against Germany that wasn't given (or Indeed the Ainsworth one against Shrewsbury that was).

It's all down to the individual of course, people can write what they want and moan about what they want. I just thought it made us look like really sore losers

Previously we'd have our own angles and move on, quick look on the replay and it'll probably be completely different. Now everyone is watching every game and think they're analysts , Think we can all agree a return to terraces and pubs will be very welcome.

• Just noticed they even gave @bluntphil a shoutout on the PNE forum:

Wycombe IFollow commentary: ‘unbelievable they are setting up to defend corners like this’