Skip to content

Match day thread: Preston

Comments

• He’s had some criticism this season but that’s what Dominic Gape brings. Great performance from the whole side though.

• Great defensive display for second half...and some nice football. We're not likely to see such a disinterested first half from the Opposition again but let's upset Barnsley!

• Excellent game from Tafazolli I thought. Really dominant in the air all over the pitch.

Preston were poor. Didn’t really turn up.

• Next 5 fixtures look decent on paper. Certainly need to win Wednesday then we have the smallest of sniffs

• Great result and other results went our way

The dream of the great escape lives on

• Felt strangely relaxed throughout, never thought we looked like conceding to be honest.

A few breakaways and a better ball could have seen us see that out a lot more comfortably too.

10 to go, probably need 8 wins minimum, but one game at a time!

Birmingham don't look in great shape, 9 points ahead, and lashed 3-0 at home today.

Rotherham have 4 games in hand, so they'll have a mad run in.

• Really solid win - well done to all concerned. It’s the hope that kills you!
    @Malone re @Haytor06 - no further posts after my observation I notice. ?

• Gape and Thompson, the whole back four without Stewart and Grimmer, and mehmeti were excellent today. McLeary and Horgan looked as dangerous as we hoped they would be. Uche definitely needs it to feet as he's no Bayo in the air. I know Preston were poor and that may have been a factor, but you can only play the team in front of you. Stockdale made a few excellent interventions and his time-wasting was obviously of a higher former Premier League, former England International standard. JJ looked alarmingly defensively sound as well considering he is not up to Championship standard. Dobbo and RobC did good today. Considering Preston had Everton and LIverpool loanees that were quite anonymous...Mehmeti appears more and more to be an excellent find!

• Wonderful scenes at Morecambe will Ellison sealing the win then taunting Derek Adams. Some great footage on twitter

• @TheOldMan said:
    Really solid win - well done to all concerned. It’s the hope that kills you!
    @Malone re @Haytor06 - no further posts after my observation I notice. ?

Not everyone sits on the net all day in fairness.

But we only scraped it 1-0 with a defender scoring, not like we scored loads :)

You've got me arguing for a view I don't actually go along with now!

• @aloysius said:

Two defensive midfielders getting the ball up to one attacking midfielder, spreading the ball to two genuine wingers, crossing the ball into the one central striker.

1-0 Wycombe.

It's not rocket science.

Well done @aloysius. You called it right.
    You might even be gracious enough to concede that I wasn’t exactly being outrageous when I said that I thought you were seriously underestimating Anis Mehmessi.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Wonderful scenes at Morecambe will Ellison sealing the win then taunting Derek Adams. Some great footage on twitter

Put the link up!!

• Could watch today as I had a meeting in the same place I did when we beat PNE in the cup. I guess I know where I’ll be spending my Saturdays from now on.

• @bigred87 said:

@DJWYC14 said:
    Wonderful scenes at Morecambe will Ellison sealing the win then taunting Derek Adams. Some great footage on twitter

Put the link up!!

• Great win, I was a nervous wreck last 15 minutes tbh !

Totally forgot where I was at the end when Stockdale came and caught that cross in the last minute, I stood and applauded as if I was at the game.

We seriously need to get Mehmeti tied down to a new deal if we already havnt, surely he'll show some loyalty for giving him a 2nd chance ?

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Next 5 fixtures look decent on paper. Certainly need to win Wednesday then we have the smallest of sniffs

Have you seen Barnsley’s form in the last 10?!

• @micra said:

@aloysius said:

Two defensive midfielders getting the ball up to one attacking midfielder, spreading the ball to two genuine wingers, crossing the ball into the one central striker.

1-0 Wycombe.

It's not rocket science.

You might even be gracious enough to concede that I wasn’t exactly being outrageous when I said that I thought you were seriously underestimating Anis Mehmessi.

Mehmeti was excellent first half and last ten. I've said before he can be too selfish and if he wants to rise to the truly exceptional he needs to learn when to release others, by the sound of it Horgan made a similar point to him late on! For all his brilliant trickery I don't think any of his work today led to a shot on goal, either by himself or his teammates - which shows what he needs to work on. But the mazy runs were lovely to see, the turns, the jinks, the dribbles; all delightful. Still think we might get more return on goal in the short term from playing Wheeler in that role but I do accept that for pure entertainment value, no one in the squad provides it consistently as much as Mehmeti does.

• @aloysius said:

@micra said:

@aloysius said:

1-0 Wycombe.

It's not rocket science.

Mehmeti was excellent first half and last ten. I've said before he can be too selfish and if he wants to rise to the truly exceptional he needs to learn when to release others, by the sound of it Horgan made a similar point to him late on! For all his brilliant trickery I don't think any of his work today led to a shot on goal, either by himself or his teammates - which shows what he needs to work on. But the mazy runs were lovely to see, the turns, the jinks, the dribbles; all delightful. Still think we might get more return on goal in the short term from playing Wheeler in that role but I do accept that for pure entertainment value, no one in the squad provides it consistently as much as Mehmeti does.

Don’t think that was a concede @micra .

• @aloysius said:

@micra said:

@aloysius said:

1-0 Wycombe.

It's not rocket science.

Sorry did you watch the game? He had at least two maybe three shots on goal. But he was too selfish with Horgan in a better position late on. Followed by Horgan not being selfish enough and trying to pass it to Mehmeti when he should have shot a few minutes later.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@aloysius said:

@micra said:

@aloysius said:

1-0 Wycombe.

It's not rocket science.

Shock horror... no mention of the game, just a snipe at fellow gasroomer

• Are you sure they were shots on goal, @bookertease? I remember a couple going over the crossbar and one going wide.

• Despite his efforts almost every pass , cross or flick on Horgan made today went to a Preston player, If Anis thought a shot was on and that it was a better option than the pass he isn't suddenly wrong just because he didn't score. After set pieces he's our driving force and gets to be a bit greedy in my opinion.

• You know it's been a good day when it is so hard to pick MOTM! I'd probably go Taffs, but there is barely a wrong answer.

• @HolmerBlue said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

I thought my post was supporting another fellow gasroomer but based on your view I guess we are one all on snipes at fellow gasroomers.

Oh and I haven’t mentioned the game YET.

• @HolmerBlue said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@aloysius said:

@micra said:

@aloysius said:

1-0 Wycombe.

It's not rocket science.

A snipe? On the gasroom.
    I can't believe it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Shev said:
    You know it's been a good day when it is so hard to pick MOTM! I'd probably go Taffs, but there is barely a wrong answer.

He was like early days Terry Evans today, in that no-one could deal with his height and power at set pieces.
    Amazed Preston didn't clock that we have one guy who is going to head it, and put their best defender on him, like any sunday league team would have realised after header number 1 was easily won.

• @Malone - fair enough and fair play. ? The whole Kashket thing is a bit of an enigma at the moment tbh.

• I can’t speak high enough of Mehmeti. So many teams struggle to sign a player that can do something different. Something probably not even they predict. His run followed by pirouette turn / step over was nuts, this is his first season as a pro. Sure he has to learn. Sure his end product needs to be polished but a certain QPR loanee had to learn those lessons too when he was with us.
    Any team at any level would want a player like him in their squad and the fans will love him even more when we can see him in the flesh.