Skip to content

Match day thread: Sheffield Wednesday

Comments

• @Stewie63 said:
    We’re just not good enough, it’s like watching a boxer on the ropes being battered and willing the referee to stop the fight.

This particular referee loves watching us being pummelled - he won’t stop anything that might remotely go in our favour!
    I am interested to know if we have actually ever picked up
    any points with a certain Mr Ward in charge!

• Maybe we should be spending what money we have on improving our scouting network. We certainly need some new blood in for next season.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Maybe we should be spending what money we have on improving our scouting network. We certainly need some new blood in for next season.

What we've got will be a superb squad for league 1.

It's just not enough for this division. Simple as that.

• I never expected us to stay up this season, always thought it would be a hard ask. My only remaining hope is that we beat the lowest ever points total, to shut a lot of opposition fans up, who all said we wouldnt do it. 8 points, that's all we need to officially not be the worst championship team ever... only 8 points, that's all, but after this last week I'm even worried about that now

• @drcongo said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@drcongo said:

Anyone else think that didn't go entirely to plan?

But you said that is the plan, and wanting us playing any other way is asking for the manager to be sacked. You actually said that.

I think you are deliberately making up what I said. I could explain why but you’ll twist that.

Go back back to your horrible ‘will we ever score a goal’ games and do me a favour and ignore my posts. You offer nothing but abuse

Blimey. Thought you’d be over the moon after that performance.

Just do one. You are totally ignoring what I actually said. Maybe you didn’t follow it? Our style of play is a totally different debate to just playing without confidence. You know that really but that’s not really why you do it.

Why can’t I see an ignore option on your user name?

• @Malone said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    Maybe we should be spending what money we have on improving our scouting network. We certainly need some new blood in for next season.

We lack the quality and experience to be competitive against superior teams, but no one is throwing in the towel. I said we need a miracle, I didn’t say I’d given up.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@drcongo said:

@drcongo said:

Anyone else think that didn't go entirely to plan?

But you said that is the plan, and wanting us playing any other way is asking for the manager to be sacked. You actually said that.

I think you are deliberately making up what I said. I could explain why but you’ll twist that.

Go back back to your horrible ‘will we ever score a goal’ games and do me a favour and ignore my posts. You offer nothing but abuse

Blimey. Thought you’d be over the moon after that performance.

Just do one. You are totally ignoring what I actually said. Maybe you didn’t follow it? Our style of play is a totally different debate to just playing without confidence. You know that really but that’s not really why you do it.

Why can’t I see an ignore option on your user name?

Actually, I can't see one on yours either. Maybe because I'm using my mobile phone rather than a pc?

• @Malone. As I said earlier. Being a top Div 1 team next season is not a given.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    @Malone. As I said earlier. Being a top Div 1 team next season is not a given.

Yep, only have to look at the three relegated this year to see it's a real lotto.

One near the top, one midtable and one going down again!

• @EwanHoosaami said:

Actually, I can't see one on yours either. Maybe because I'm using my mobile phone rather than a pc?

I can see an ignore option next to your name but I haven’t used it. I only have one user ignored.

• edited February 2021

@glasshalffull said:

@Malone said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:

We lack the quality and experience to be competitive against superior teams, but no one is throwing in the towel. I said we need a miracle, I didn’t say I’d given up.

Thank goodness for that.
    I thought we were down to the drummer and Pete Couhig in the unreasonably positive camp!

• I’m just waiting for someone to mention Nick Freeman ....

• Hang on...we've not been relegated from league one already have we?

• Huddersfield, Derby, Millwall and Reading are our next 4 games.
    12 points from those 4 and we will smiling again. ??

• @Wendoverman said:
    Hang on...we've not been relegated from league one already have we?

Do keep up.

If we don't give Freeman a free role we'll be lucky to boss the Wycombe Combination in 5 years.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Huddersfield, Derby, Millwall and Reading are our next 4 games.
    12 points from those 4 and we will smiling again. ??

Will settle for scoring a couple of goals, and the fanbase not eating each other up.

• Dennis Adeniran is the best midfielder at the club.... Composure on the ball, good range of passing and looks to drive forward with the ball at his feet. We miss him!

• I know you are only joking Malone and I think you are one of the more reasonable posters in the Gasroom, but it puzzles me why people frown up positivity and optimism. It may be gallows humour, I guess.

• @glasshalffull said:
    That was depressing. Awful game, poor display by a team bereft of confidence and a typical Gavin Ward display of refereeing. I am the greatest optimist, but I have to admit that we need a miraculous upturn in form to dig ourselves out of this hole. The Championship is proving to be a step too far and it’s painful to see us going through this every week.

Hmm I distinctly remember you telling me at the start of the season that I didn't understand how Wycombe works because under Gareth Ainsworth they never give up the fight.

My one big takeaway from this match was that Kadeem Harris is far too good to get relegated. If Sheffield Wednesday go down I hope they let him go to another Championship club, it would be a travesty to see him in League One again next season.

As for us, Ofoborh showed some nice touches but no one else really impressed. Obita is not really looking like an inspired signing, sadly, and Horgan was so anonymous. He should be grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck, fighting for balls rather than waiting patiently in space for a killer pass which, under this system, will never come. Mehmeti looks too lightweight for the Championship, I've thought that all season and nothing has yet made me change my mind. On paper I liked the back four today but it didn't quite click. I'd stick with the Stewart Tafazolli combo on Saturday though and play a midfield three of Thompson, Ofoborh and Knight. Hopefully JJ will be back by then. Up front it's time to try Ikpeazu and Muskwe or Onyedima in a two. Maybe with Wheeler behind in a midfield diamond.

• If ever a team needed two weeks in the sun it’s ours. I credit them with keeping going so long with results going against them, but the wheels are well and truly off.

Sadly, the schedule is relentless. There are signs in his comments tonight that Gareth has pivoted to thinking about next season - with a bit of luck that may take the pressure off and let the team play a bit more freely again.

We are better than the last few games and I hope we’ll recapture some semblance of form again at some point soon. It can’t get much worse than the last three games, which have been awful in terms of results and spectacle.

• Where did I say that we have given up the fight? Losing confidence results from losing so many games against superior opponents, it is not a sign that we have given up.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I know you are only joking Malone and I think you are one of the more reasonable posters in the Gasroom, but it puzzles me why people frown up positivity and optimism. It may be gallows humour, I guess.

A few things ring true forever in football.

Fans are fickle, and hope springs eternal.

I'll be firing up the laptop on Saturday hoping and seeing no reason we can't win the next game.
    That might only last 10-15mins, but the hope will be there for sure.

• @glasshalffull has gone. Our great optimist. We could see scenes similar to Jones Town at Adams Park

• @aloysius said:

@glasshalffull said:
    That was depressing. Awful game, poor display by a team bereft of confidence and a typical Gavin Ward display of refereeing. I am the greatest optimist, but I have to admit that we need a miraculous upturn in form to dig ourselves out of this hole. The Championship is proving to be a step too far and it’s painful to see us going through this every week.

Hmm I distinctly remember you telling me at the start of the season that I didn't understand how Wycombe works because under Gareth Ainsworth they never give up the fight.

My one big takeaway from this match was that Kadeem Harris is far too good to get relegated. If Sheffield Wednesday go down I hope they let him go to another Championship club, it would be a travesty to see him in League One again next season.

As for us, Ofoborh showed some nice touches but no one else really impressed. Obita is not really looking like an inspired signing, sadly, and Horgan was so anonymous. He should be grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck, fighting for balls rather than waiting patiently in space for a killer pass which, under this system, will never come. Mehmeti looks too lightweight for the Championship, I've thought that all season and nothing has yet made me change my mind. On paper I liked the back four today but it didn't quite click. I'd stick with the Stewart Tafazolli combo on Saturday though and play a midfield three of Thompson, Ofoborh and Knight. Hopefully JJ will be back by then. Up front it's time to try Ikpeazu and Muskwe or Onyedima in a two. Maybe with Wheeler behind in a midfield diamond.

It is very early days for Obita, and it can't be easy coming into a losing team with confidence reducing by the week.

However, I think we can certainly say talk of JJ being finished here was very premature indeed.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I know you are only joking Malone and I think you are one of the more reasonable posters in the Gasroom, but it puzzles me why people frown up positivity and optimism. It may be gallows humour, I guess.

I hear what you are saying, but relentless positivity can be as draining as relentless negativity.

• Great post @Malone. That sums up most of us on here. As true supporters, we will always have hope.
    The roll of the ball and a bit of luck and our confidence will come flowing back. COYB!!!!!!

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    @glasshalffull has gone. Our great optimist. We could see scenes similar to Jones Town at Adams Park

There’s no poisoned punch in my drinks cabinet, in fact thanks to lockdown there are no drinks left at all!

• I think emphasis has to be on performances now rather than results. We just need to get back to the form we were starting to show before the Covid break. At that point we were starting to show some real promise, but we've fallen apart since the return.

For now we just need to stop worrying about results and start slowly rebuilding confidence. Once we take that pressure off the players I'm sure we'll pick up a few wins again

• TBH, my son retired to his bedroom at half time and never reappeared. My wife went for a shower when the 2nd went in. I braved it until the end, but all the time asking if I was a masochist.
    I'm not minded to spend £10 on Saturday to watch it as it's pure torture. Will listen on IFollow for free, then I don't mind walking away when we go behind.

• This is as close to "season's over chaps" as you could get without saying it.