Skip to content

Match day thread: Sheffield Wednesday

Comments

• I heard Matt read out a comment from (obviously a regular) fan who said This team are the worst ever to wear a Wycombe shirt. Overkill or what?

• It's kind of hilarious, as in reality this is the best side to ever wear the shirt! We are just swimming with sharks instead of minnows.

• I think Matt did it for comic effect, as man for man this is probably the best squad the club have ever had, they are struggling but other then the last 20 minutes against Brentford have hustled and harried and given their all to the final whistle.

Like @Shev I am so proud of the achievement of getting into the Championship and all that means in terms of the club's future sustainability whilst also recognising that we are odds to go down.

• I thought that was one of the least professional moments of what was a very unprofessional commentary. I can understand that Matt Cecil must get wound up by some of the club's regular critics on Twitter but singling that comment out came across as petulant and passive aggressive.

The second weakest moment was his brown-nosing of his boss for joining him in the commentary box rather than the director's box. To his credit even Pete Couhig seemed embarrassed by that.

Matt did redeem himself though by trying to change the subject whenever Pete banged on about timewasting towards the end. It would have been easy to have just agreed with him, though anyone who has watched more than half a season of our lower-league play under Gareth will know that pots don't call kettles black on that one.

• Rather harsh assessment of someone stepping in with borrowed equipment because of Covid restrictions to provide commentary for ifollow @aloysius

• If people are prepared to give it large on Twitter or any other form of social media, they can’t complain when their comments are broadcast, especially when those comments are so ridiculously over the top. I applaud Matt for having a dig at this guy.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Rather harsh assessment of someone stepping in with borrowed equipment because of Covid restrictions to provide commentary for ifollow @aloysius

@Wendoverman it would have been harsh if I was critiquing any of the volunteers that give their time to the commentary team. Matt Cecil is paid to run it. And the equipment was not malfunctioning, it was just badly set up.

• would 100% agree 5hay this is the best squad we have ever had and the future looks good if we keep hold of the majority of the current crop and the management team

• Should have called out whoever made that idiotic comment by name.
    Unless they started watching us this season.

• edited February 2021

Sorry, I did not realise the club was paid by ifollow to supply commentary...or that Matt had to organise it. I thought it utilised largely local BBC reporters.

• I did smile when he said '...for those who are still watching...' at some point late in the game.

• @Malone said:
    Should have called out whoever made that idiotic comment by name.
    Unless they started watching us this season.

I believe he did?

• Agree with @glasshalffull on this. Far too many members of the public think they can be chippy and obnoxious online, under a mistaken belief that the customer is always right (a phrase that chills me to the bone).

The customer is not always right. And when they are being as ludicrous as the chap called out, they deserve ridicule.

• Surely it's easier to ignore and not publicise those comments you seem as ridiculous.
    But then some people like to be the 'Bully with the Mic'.

• Who was it?
    One of the well known drones?

• @ChasHarps said:
    Surely it's easier to ignore and not publicise those comments you seem as ridiculous.

That is a very dangerous path to tread when you consider the online abuse issues in the public eye at the moment, admittedly on more serious matters than this.
    Yes, I am all for naming and shaming rather than ignoring and if that definition means that I’m a ‘bully with the mic’ then so be it.

• @arnos_grove said:
    I don’t think we’ve waved a white flag. I would’ve done if we’d not signed players in the transfer window.

I just think the enormity of the task has finally dawned on a team that’s really tried its best for months and hasn’t managed to win enough games. Mentally, it must be truly draining to turn up to work knowing virtually everyone you come across is better equipped than you are.

We’re always a bit scruffy to watch, even when playing exciting stuff, but I’m convinced that it’s damaged confidence that is turning scruffy into completely unwatchable right now.

I’ve managed to avoid reading this thread for the best part of 24 hours for the good of my mental health. But this perfectly sums up how I feel about it at the moment.

But somehow my tortured psyche will talk me into watching the unwatchable again on Saturday. Onwards and downwards...

• @glasshalffull said:

@ChasHarps said:
    Surely it's easier to ignore and not publicise those comments you seem as ridiculous.

That is a very dangerous path to tread when you consider the online abuse issues in the public eye at the moment, admittedly on more serious matters than this.
    Yes, I am all for naming and shaming rather than ignoring and if that definition means that I’m a ‘bully with the mic’ then so be it.

Was the tweet abusive that he read out? I missed This

• "This is the worst Wycombe side in history", or words to that effect.

• @bookertease said:

@arnos_grove said:
    I don’t think we’ve waved a white flag. I would’ve done if we’d not signed players in the transfer window.

I just think the enormity of the task has finally dawned on a team that’s really tried its best for months and hasn’t managed to win enough games. Mentally, it must be truly draining to turn up to work knowing virtually everyone you come across is better equipped than you are.

We’re always a bit scruffy to watch, even when playing exciting stuff, but I’m convinced that it’s damaged confidence that is turning scruffy into completely unwatchable right now.

I’ve managed to avoid reading this thread for the best part of 24 hours for the good of my mental health. But this perfectly sums up how I feel about it at the moment.

But somehow my tortured psyche will talk me into watching the unwatchable again on Saturday. Onwards and downwards...

You'll be there. I'll be there.

We'll all be there.

• @Malone said:

@bookertease said:

@arnos_grove said:

You'll be there. I'll be there.

We'll all be there.

It’s great being a Wycombe supporter isn’t it...
    ?

• @glasshalffull said:

@ChasHarps said:

But this wasnt online abuse, it was someone who had an opinion on the present teams capabilities.
    Not one I agreed with, but all the same a million miles from online abuse.

• @peterparrotface said:

@glasshalffull said:

@ChasHarps said:

Let me clarify, I was not saying that the guy was abusive as such, just that if you let comments like his go unchallenged then you don’t know where it could lead. He had the right to express his opinion, Matt had the right to broadcast and challenge it.

• He had the right to do it but it came across like he was trying to settle a personal score with a troll who's been on his back for a while and to me, it cheapened the commentary.

• If the guy who tweeted that didn’t want his thoughts to be in the public domain then he probably shouldn’t have put them in the public domain.

It was a ridiculous comment.

• @glasshalffull said:

@peterparrotface said:

@glasshalffull said:

@ChasHarps said:

Let me clarify, I was not saying that the guy was abusive as such, just that if you let comments like his go unchallenged then you don’t know where it could lead. He had the right to express his opinion, Matt had the right to broadcast and challenge it.

Understood, cheers

• Listened to the iFollow audio for about 5 minutes then muted the sound and switched on 3CR for the incomparable @bluntphil 's excellent commentary. It was nicely in sync with iFollow and as has often been the case this season, the commentary was more entertaining than the footy.

• @Wisdom_Of_Harry said:
    Listened to the iFollow audio for about 5 minutes then muted the sound and switched on 3CR for the incomparable @bluntphil 's excellent commentary. It was nicely in sync with iFollow and as has often been the case this season, the commentary was more entertaining than the footy.

Damn, never even thought of that ! Wish I had of done. I know it wont be popular, but I didnt enjoy last night's commentary at all

• @HolmerBlue said:

Damn, never even thought of that ! Wish I had of done. I know it wont be popular, but I didnt enjoy last night's commentary at all

Being outside the 3CR transmission range that’s not an option. The commentary these days on iFollow seems to assume that it’s to support the video and not to be listened to as a stand-alone audio feed.

Blunt Phil is head and shoulders above most for audio commentary, even when he is supporting video feeds.

• I thought Matt did a cracking job as always. I like the fact he is willing to talk straight. Too many miserable bastards belittling the club and players at the moment then trying to take some sort of moral high ground when challenged. Yes - both the results and quality of football are disappointing but some of the guff spouted on here and other networks has been embarrassing.