Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry

Comments

• Nor does guessing make it offside.

Look, I am sure being a lino is hard. With someone shaping up to volley from outside the area, it only takes getting distracted by that to miss who was where when the ball was kicked once the rebound is tucked in. If that happens, there is as much fear of getting a blatant offside wrong. I think that is what happened.

• @Shev said:

@eric_plant said:

@Shev said:
    Does someone have an angle for Saturday that shows him offside? I could only see him offside for someone with diagonal eyesight, from what I have seen so far.

The linesman had a great angle

Which begs the question why he did not flag rightaway with that great angle?

The lino may suffer from Dystonia!

• Seems like you're doing a fair bit of guessing yourself

It's the linesman's job, he is in the best position in the entire stadium to make the decision, and I suspect he got it correct

This whole "he guessed" narrative is being peddled about now as cast iron fact

It's cringey, and makes us look like bad losers

• edited December 2020

We need to do what they do in the Eredivisie over here (but we'd need VAR).

• Which wouldn't change anything on Saturday

I'd rather just leave it to the linesman

• The fact is right or wrong the decision was made and unless they start changing things retrospectively we just have to suck it up. Oh and score more goals...

• For the first time I was a bit concerned by Gaz's post match comments on the excellent Ringing the Blues podcast.

He talked about the chances we created, and also went down the road of blaming the officials a bit, claiming that Kashket wasn't offside

• We did create enough to get something out of the game.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    We did create enough to get something out of the game.

Sadly a lot of the time we don't seem to start creating until we have no choice...

• He said something like if you look at the chances both sides created we deserved to win

That's not exactly how I saw it to be honest

Anyway, can't do anything about it now. We'll all feel much better when we beat Bournemouth tomorrow

• @chairboyscentral said:
    If the flag hasn't gone up within one second of the receiving player touching the ball, that should be that, but for some reason they're allowed to take their sweet time over it.

I timed it, exactly 2 seconds from the ball crossing the line to starting to raise his arm. I don't think that's too long. I took a video from behind the linesman, annoyingly started too late, so didn't capture the offside moment. He steps back to where the offside was, before raising the flag, so I don't think he delayed raising it.

• Still ... if we thought we had it hard, at least we didn't have to sit next to Steve Baker, like Pete Couhig.

• The fact people are willing to believe this was offside just shows how much VAR has penetrated in to fans minds.
    Before that this was too close to call and no-one would have minded.

Kasket still looks onside to me in all the angles I've seen but maybe it's that damned hand that stroked the keepers glove the other week that has caused the problem.

• Poor Steve. He’s a loud un that Pete!

• @eric_plant said:
    Seems like you're doing a fair bit of guessing yourself

It's the linesman's job, he is in the best position in the entire stadium to make the decision, and I suspect he got it correct

This whole "he guessed" narrative is being peddled about now as cast iron fact

It's cringey, and makes us look like bad losers

I'm not guessing - I watched the game and he did not look offside. Hence all of the annoyance.

Even Coventry fans are saying they got away with one. I agree with you that it does not change the result, but it does not make me want to heel click and swing around a lamppost singing, either.

• @eric_plant said:
    He said something like if you look at the chances both sides created we deserved to win

That's not exactly how I saw it to be honest

Anyway, can't do anything about it now. We'll all feel much better when we beat Bournemouth tomorrow

That sounds like he's had the analyst in his ear - and he's technially right, although it was very close and a draw would have been fair.

But yes, let's go and cause the upset of the season!

• I> @Wendoverman said:

@micra said:
    Don’t think I’ve ever heard your preferred option @Wendoverman. “Who’s your father?” perhaps?

Are you confusing me with someone else @micra ?

I certainly am! Bit under the weather today but pretty sure not Covid unless there is a nearly asymptomatic version. No excuse for confusing you with @StrongestTeam. I have you down as very much favouring the first of his two options.

@StrongestTeam said:

@Manboobs said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    In fact, the players were booed off at half-time against Coventry last season. Never sits right with me.

I’d assumed on this occasion all boos were for the officials. We either need boos that can be differentiated or just go with “You’re not fit to referee/wear the shirt/form a sociopolitical and economic worldview” as required.

The lack of "the referees a w@nker" or my preferred option "How's your father referee" was a real shame. Need to get more fans back in ?.

• @Steve_Peart if that was two seconds that was a heck of a long two seconds. We'd celebrated and it felt like a great deal longer.

You don't have the footage yet can quote two seconds. Were you timing it? Rather than celebrating?

• @Malone, I have the footage on my phone, not good enough to upload to Twitter. I timed it with a stop watch. He takes one of those two seconds skipping back to the offside point and setting himself, so no real delay.

• @eric_plant said:
    He fouled the keeper and he was offside

We haven't been robbed of anything

You dismiss other people’s opinions as though yours is the only one that matters. I take it you didn’t see the games against Norwich, Luton and Millwall, and while you say Kashket was offside v Coventry, others say he was onside. You say Kashket fouled Foster against Watford, others say he didn’t.

• I saw them all Alan

It was Samuel who was penalised against Watford, not Kashket, and I don't think it was a foul as it goes

As for the offside in Saturday, the linesman was in the best position to judge it, it's his actual job so he's better qualified than any of us, so on the balance of probability I'd say he was offside. Oh, and there's the small matter of him actually being given offside as well

You complain as awful lot about referees at Wycombe games, you have done for decades. Perhaps you're always right and referees always make the wrong decision?

• Why bother arguing with @glasshalffull Eric, you know you will never win!

• @our_frank said:
    Still ... if we thought we had it hard, at least we didn't have to sit next to Steve Baker, like Pete Couhig.

Is the chinless patriot a Wycombe season ticket holder?

• @glasshalffull said:

@eric_plant said:

You dismiss other people’s opinions as though yours is the only one that matters. I take it you didn’t see the games against Norwich, Luton and Millwall, and while you say Kashket was offside v Coventry, others say he was onside. You say Kashket fouled Foster against Watford, others say he didn’t

Incredible @glasshalffull that you can write the first sentence bearing in mind you’re track record on this forum of dismissing almost everyone else’s opinions.

• @davecz said:

@glasshalffull said:

@eric_plant said:

You dismiss other people’s opinions as though yours is the only one that matters. I take it you didn’t see the games against Norwich, Luton and Millwall, and while you say Kashket was offside v Coventry, others say he was onside. You say Kashket fouled Foster against Watford, others say he didn’t

Incredible @glasshalffull that you can write the first sentence bearing in mind you’re track record on this forum of dismissing almost everyone else’s opinions.

Incredible how many assumptions you make, but I can live without your approval.

• The guideline is that lino’s only flag once the ‘offside’ player becomes active ie kicks the ball. Was that when he put the flag up?

• The referees assistant, (no longer a lino), must have been certain. I thought that if there was doubt, the benefit of doubt would have been given in the forwards favour? At least I thought that was the guidelines. ? maybe I'm out of touch as since VAR was introduced to the Premier league the rules appear to change almost weekly.

• It looked like he shuffled back to flag where the offside was - which they're not meant to do anymore.

• @glasshalffull said:

@davecz said:

@glasshalffull said:

@eric_plant said:

Incredible how many assumptions you make, but I can live without your approval.

Not made any assumptions, just commenting on your sentence in your reply to @eric_plant

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    The referees assistant, (no longer a lino), must have been certain. I thought that if there was doubt, the benefit of doubt would have been given in the forwards favour? At least I thought that was the guidelines. ? maybe I'm out of touch as since VAR was introduced to the Premier league the rules appear to change almost weekly.

Match officials should be reasonably certain of every decision they make at every stage of the game, but it is even more important when a big decision is needed in stoppage time and with the game evenly poised.
    Many posters have looked at the footage of Kashket’s disallowed goal from every available angle and in slow motion, and they still can’t decide whether he was onside or not (with the exception of one poster, anyway). It is therefore reasonable to assume that the assistant, seeing the incident once in real time and with a considerable distance between Knight’s last touch and Kashket’s shot, cannot have been 100 per cent certain, in which case he should not have flagged.