Skip to content

Championship clubs unhappy with standard of refereeing

12346»

Comments

• I suspect if that Thompson tackle had been against us and that penalty shout for us we might have been hearing a lot about them this morning

• See that tomorrow we have the Australian ref featured in this video

Not sure that he'll have the same quality of assistants to work with though!

• Good watch that. They should do this every game, I don't see why they don't.

• Maybe we should sign their captain. He wants to play in the Championship one day, after all...

• See that tomorrow we have the Australian ref featured in this video

Hope I’m not putting a curse on him, but Gillett is the best EFL ref I have seen this season.

• That was a top class piece watch that. Reminded me a bit of Pierluigi Collina in the way he constantly kept communicating with the players giving his reasons for the decisions. Mind you, he doesn't have the "death stare" that Pierluigi had!

• He treats players as adults, not naughty school children, and he reads the game well.

• @Croider said:
    See that tomorrow we have the Australian ref featured in this video

Great clip showing quality decision making with consultation (including letting play flow when appropriate), explanation, warnings and discipline. High hopes for Bruce to have as balanced a performance tomorrow.

Last ref did let the game flow more than others, not falling for most play acting and perhaps electing not to give a penalty either way; balanced on the whole.. Of course it is easier not to be too critical of an official's performance with three points in the bag. Would I still think that chap was better than average if we had been red carded and ended up drawing or worse, probably not.

I live in hope that tomorrow's officiating will be balanced, because I believe that we have the skills and systems to get a result all things being equal. And good reffing goes a long way towards levelling the playing field imo.

COYB!!!!

• He also won’t stand for any of Mr.Warnock’s notorious antics on the touch line!

• Goodness we might have a competent ref on our hands. A rarity

• Great clip, and exactly how to use VAR for goals and to be able to then explain to the captain why it’s been given.
    It can be done in football but maybe the Aussies have been able to get it right and respect the ref as football is fairly new over there with little money Involved compared to Europe.

• Excellent refereeing

• Really excited about the referee tomorrow.
    Should be clearly audible with no crowd although you know who will no doubt keep the volume at a decent level !!

• @micra said:
    Really excited about the referee tomorrow.
    Should be clearly audible with no crowd although you know who will no doubt keep the volume at a decent level !!

Ridiculous comment. What on earth made me think he would be as audible as he was on the video!

• He was about as average as most wasn’t he? No big decision to make, but certainly blew up for lots of midfield contact.

• @micra said:

@micra said:
    Really excited about the referee tomorrow.

Ridiculous comment. What on earth made me think he would be as audible as he was on the video!

Did you think we'd be hearing stuff like "i've gotta give that as a foul mate fair dunkum eh" like on the vid clip?

• I wish we had. Might have cheered me up a bit. That was hard to take after Tuesday’s impressive performance and after telling a friend yesterday that I wasn’t feeling at all down about our situation after she’d said she guessed I must’ve been pretty fed up.

• I am just a little bit fed up, to be honest.

• Yeah that has massively taken the massive surge of optimism that win and starts for Tafa and Uche had given us.
    At least Uche showed he can score and it has been a while since we deserved to lose a game to a better team. Rather than it being our own mistakes/dreadful finishing or hard luck moans being the story after.

• Let’s be realistic. Boro are one of the best teams in this league. Let’s see how this team get on against our next two league opponents. That will really tell us what we can achieve.

• Totally agree @JohnBoy although I suppose I’m contradicting myself a little when I say I’d like to see Mehmeti playing further forward in front of two defensive midfielders.

• Think we’ve swapped threads starting with @Malones talking about today’s game in the wake of my comment about being able to hear the referee’s comments.

• Let’s get back to the matchday thread!