Skip to content

Signature moments/games for each player

Comments

• Steve Brown's headbutt on Martin Butler at The Madejski is his iconic moment

• Michael O'Halloran against Chelsea, Stefan Oakes v Doncaster and Jermaine Easter at the Valley, think you can all guess the theme.

What was the game Batista was sent off. Wrexham away?

• @floyd said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    Dannie Bulman scoring off his derriere v Bristol City?

Bristol Rovers I think. A great moment nonetheless!

@NewburyWanderer said:
    Matt Crossley's brace at Sutton in the Trophy semi-final 2nd leg in 1993.

I was there, remember it well, and “Matt Crossley’s brace (of goals)” still seems a ridiculous thing to read

• Stephen O'Halloran wasn't it @DJWYC14

• Stuart Roberts at Northampton.

• Who was the player who scored the goal that meant the players were all off on holiday to Spain?

Mark Cooper?

• @eric_plant said:
    Steve Brown's headbutt on Martin Butler at The Madejski is his iconic moment

Takes me to Jason Cousins, who I reckon has 3: the tackle against the Doncaster player. His goal in the second leg against Coventry (even when we do beat them we still lose) and his clambering up the fence after the first(?) Wembley Trophy win

• @eric_plant said:
    Steve Brown's headbutt on Martin Butler at The Madejski is his iconic moment

How have i got no recollection of this? Couldn't stand Butler...

• Paul Kerr's winner at Blackpool !!

• edited December 2020

@DJWYC14 said:
    Michael O'Halloran against Chelsea, Stefan Oakes v Doncaster and Jermaine Easter at the Valley, think you can all guess the theme.

Was this the one where he kicked the ball full pelt into the stand or something? I have vague memories. My iconic memory of him is smashing Wayne Bridge into next week when Bridge scored the opener in the semi-final. But, that's partly probably because I've watched that match more than any other.

2 that stand out for me:
    Russell Martin's thunderbolt in the 5-4 defeat v Macclesfield
    Tommy Mooney, late on against Swindon, nicking a draw with a back post header after getting abuse from the Town fans all night.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Michael O'Halloran against Chelsea, Stefan Oakes v Doncaster and Jermaine Easter at the Valley, think you can all guess the theme.

Stephen O'Halloran?
    Michael is your other team's lad :)

• @Commoner said:
    The FA Cup run produced a few:

Rammell in the snow versus Wolves.

McCarthy equaliser versus Wimbledon (away) and Martin Taylor fists clenched after the final penalty.

Essandoh getting hauled to the ground by Jason Cousins after that goal.

Browny getting sent off was gut wrenching and one that really sticks with me.

Bloomfield goal away at Rushden, not even he could believe that strike and I was right behind it.

Can I have an 'off-field' moment from that era - seeing Jamie Bates with a few very iffy looking characters in a back street around Villa Park about 45 minutes after the final whistle of the Semi Final

• Two iconic moments from that day for me were Brownie taking to the pitch holding Maxwell, and at the end, Simmo gazing into the sea of Wycombe fans behind the goal, seemingly overwhelmed by it all and maybe knowing he'd never be part of anything this great again. Both get me a bit teary even now.

• On that note, Blooms for me was after the final whistle in the playoff final v Oxford. He ran over to a group and Stocks went to give him a hug and he just collapsed on the floor - his face looked like he was full on weeping with joy.

• Anyone got one for Aaron Pierre?

• @eric_plant said:
    Anyone got one for Aaron Pierre?

First loan period penultimate game against Bristol Rovers when he had to have half a mile of cellotape applied to his bloodied noggin after a clash with the mighty Matt Harrold just outside Tesco Express...

• @JohnBoy said:
    On that note, Blooms for me was after the final whistle in the playoff final v Oxford. He ran over to a group and Stocks went to give him a hug and he just collapsed on the floor - his face looked like he was full on weeping with joy.

Or his Torquay jumping celebrations fists raised when the Rovers result came through and we still had a few mins to play.

• Bloomfield for me is when he scored a late equaliser at York, breaking his arm in the process and playing on for the rest of the match clearly in agony.

• As an aside, it is crazy that we were playing York as recently as 2016 and they are now four tiers below us.

• A lot of this thread contains things that aren't moments.

The pedant in me is appalled

• @Wendoverman said:

@eric_plant said:

First loan period penultimate game against Bristol Rovers when he had to have half a mile of cellotape applied to his bloodied noggin after a clash with the mighty Matt Harrold just outside Tesco Express...

It was Pierre who body slammed Diving Danny Hylton wasn't it? A signature moment if ever there was one

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Wendoverman said:

@eric_plant said:

It was Pierre who body slammed Diving Danny Hylton wasn't it? A signature moment if ever there was one

I can still hear the crunch and scream like it was yesterday.

• I watched that Pierre v DDH "event" from near the dug outs leaning on the advertising hoardings. The huge whack by Pierre on DDH was really a thing of beauty.

• edited December 2020

Paul Hayes and Gary Thompson at Spurs were both pretty special moments

Both the quality of the goals and the opposition, in the last season at WHL

• edited December 2020

It feels like almost every player gets a massive "hero moment" at one point or another. Nick Freeman is one who never seems to (a couple of amazing passes aside). Perhaps he will score the goal which keeps us in the Championship.

• Freeman individual goal against Barnet with Saunders clapping him during the celebration. Wasn't a crucial goal, but killed the game off and would probably be his highlight to date.

• @Chris said:
    Bloomfield for me is when he scored a late equaliser at York, breaking his arm in the process and playing on for the rest of the match clearly in agony.

I was on a Stag weekend in York for that game, I'd asked Matt if he could present a shirt to the groom after the game on the terrace.

Before Matt went down the tunnel for treatment at the end of the game he called Paul Hayes over and made some gestures towards the terrace and ensured Paul Hayes came over and presented the shirt to our Stag.

He is an absolute gent, to actually stop and think whilst having a broken arm about someone else's day was incredible!

Paul came over presented the shirt it was a fantastic gesture by both Matt and Paul.

I love this club and it's ethos!

• Sam Wood's 40-yard screamer at York on the first day of the 2012-13 season.

• @Commoner said:

@Chris said:
    Bloomfield for me is when he scored a late equaliser at York, breaking his arm in the process and playing on for the rest of the match clearly in agony.

I was on a Stag weekend in York for that game, I'd asked Matt if he could present a shirt to the groom after the game on the terrace.

Before Matt went down the tunnel for treatment at the end of the game he called Paul Hayes over and made some gestures towards the terrace and ensured Paul Hayes came over and presented the shirt to our Stag.

He is an absolute gent, to actually stop and think whilst having a broken arm about someone else's day was incredible!

Paul came over presented the shirt it was a fantastic gesture by both Matt and Paul.

That is incredible.
    Imagine being a pro footballer and still thinking of your duty to a single fan throughout the game! And then after a traumatic injury too. Incredible scenes

• @Commoner said:

@Chris said:

Best bit of that is that it isn't surprising at all from him.