Skip to content

Signature moments/games for each player

edited December 2020 in Football

I was thinking about the current squad, and pondering what would be each player's signature moment or game. What would be the first thing which comes to mind for each one? I am thinking in-game moments (rather than anything to do with lifting the playoff trophy, etc.) Here is my take on most of the squad (leaving out mostly loanees and new arrivals), and I'd be interested to hear not only your opinions on this bunch, but of past players too.

Ryan Allsop: The crazy pinball finale to preserve the 3-3 draw with Peterborough. Honorable mention: The save from Rob Dickey in the Playoff Final.

Jack Grimmer: Despite being a fantastic player, he is very difficult, as he has not scored yet, nor are there standout moments I can think of offhand. Any ideas?

Anthony Stewart: The entire Playoff Final.

Darius Charles: The "This is our house" goal.

JJ: Difficult one, but the moment of scoring the goal which took us to the second tier has to win over the Lincoln hattrick which took us to the top of League One, though the latter was more impressive.

Jason McCarthy: Free kick in the 1-0 over Walsall.

Gape: Chesterfield. Enough said.

Thompson: With only one goal for us, and an exciting, well-taken one at that, I am going for the late equalizer in the eventual 3-2 win over Doncaster at AP in 2018-19.

Bloomfield: Keeping it within a match makes it more difficult, but I would go with the goal in the Party in the Park game against Stevenage. Despite not affecting the table, it was a poignant moment on a tremendous day in the club's history.

Nick Freeman: Toss up between starting the move which led to the first goal against Southend away in 2018-19, or the sublime pass setting up Kashket for the winner against the same opposition at AP last season. I'd probably go with the latter, just because that pass was filthy.

Fred: The last gasp equalizer in the second leg against Fleetwood in the playoff semi, 2nd leg. It was a little academic at that point, but a wonderful way to cap off the tie, and a beautiful goal. Winning the penalty in the final, though vital, cannot be as iconic.

Wheeler: The winner against MK Dons.

Scottie: The winner against Southend in the 4-3, closely followed by our first ever second tier goal, with the latter suffering from being a bit of a goalie howler too.

Bayo: Tougher than I thought it would be, perhaps owing to the sheer number of goals, but none in the playoffs, promotion games etc. I might have to go with the entire Southend game, away in 2018-19, as that win was so vital in breaking the back of the bad run and keeping us up.

Alex Samuel: The late winner against Accrington away in 2018-19.

Comments

• Of past players, I dont think anything can beat the moment of Beano's first ever Wycombe goal against Carlisle winning the game in injury time.

• Got to agree about Bean's goal. What an afternoon. Tricky with Grimmer and Thompson because except for the odd mistake they seem to deliver each game though perhaps not as definitively with match winning or saving moments. Thompson's goal against Doncaster was great though.

• Any goal Bayo scores in front of the away fans who have been chanting at him is a delight.

• @mooneyman said:
    Of past players, I dont think anything can beat the moment of Beano's first ever Wycombe goal against Carlisle winning the game in injury time.

Oh well done. This is spot on.

• @mooneyman said:
    Of past players, I dont think anything can beat the moment of Beano's first ever Wycombe goal against Carlisle winning the game in injury time.

In recent times the nearest contenders would probably be Mawson's worldie against Luton and Hayes' volley at Spurs, but Beanie's goal must be the most iconic in-play moment of recent Wycombe history.

• Matt Bloomfield's signature moment for me didn't affect the match in the slightest way. It came in the final minute at Torquay. As he was "chasing" a ball into the corner he couldn't stop himself having a little skip and punching the air. Somehow summed him up. Mr Wycombe. True legend.

• Of course it came at Torquay

• @DevC said:
    Matt Bloomfield's signature moment for me didn't affect the match in the slightest way. It came in the final minute at Torquay. As he was "chasing" a ball into the corner he couldn't stop himself having a little skip and punching the air. Somehow summed him up. Mr Wycombe. True legend.

What memories.

It clearly meant as much to him as it did to us.

• SK would be his goal v Orient after being thrown out there and getting something like 10 in 10 here

Curtis difficult, would be individual moves and realy classy moves rather than one set piece, can think of a few times taking the ball of a player and flipping backwards and forwards making them look silly before hitting a great pass

• Dannie Bulman scoring off his derriere v Bristol City?

• Roy Essandoh turning to face the goal for the only time in his Wycombe career at Filbert Street.

Jason McCarthy's third debut where he scored direct from a cross in front of the Frank Adams stand

• I'd been trying to think of one for Roy Essandoh

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Dannie Bulman scoring off his derriere v Bristol City?

Bristol Rovers I think. A great moment nonetheless!

• Steve Brown's thunderbolt against Col utd.....

• Mcsporron on his debut against Lincoln... did they have someone well known in goal that day?

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Dannie Bulman scoring off his derriere v Bristol City?

Regrettably one of the 6-7 goals a season i missed as the chap who gave me a lift insisted on leaving early.

• Eberechi Eze's two fantastic goals at Cambridge.

• @bigred87 said:
    Mcsporron on his debut against Lincoln... did they have someone well known in goal that day?

Was that game his debut?

• Matt Crossley's brace at Sutton in the Trophy semi-final 2nd leg in 1993.

• Garry Thompson's header at Spurs.

• Thinking of some great memories of some old players, after reading this.

How about Bury away for Kevin Betsy? (Guess you could through it in for Ben Strevens too)

The Senda / Betsy combination was the signature of gormania for me, but at moment can’t think of a single game from his first spell I’d have above that one.

Jocky’s debut was at Northampton a few weeks before that Lincoln game - I was obsessed with him as a teenager and remember it well!

• Ben Frempah's late cameo up front against Charlton

• @Guppys_Left_Leg said:

@bigred87 said:
    Mcsporron on his debut against Lincoln... did they have someone well known in goal that day?

Was that game his debut?

Bruce Grobbelaar I think. No, not Jockie's debut.

• The FA Cup run produced a few:

Rammell in the snow versus Wolves.

McCarthy equaliser versus Wimbledon (away) and Martin Taylor fists clenched after the final penalty.

Essandoh getting hauled to the ground by Jason Cousins after that goal.

Browny getting sent off was gut wrenching and one that really sticks with me.

Bloomfield goal away at Rushden, not even he could believe that strike and I was right behind it.

• Jason Cousins - smashing the ball into the top corner and getting it wedged in the stanchion vs Scunthorpe or worst tackle ever seen (worth a second booking) vs Donny?

• @Guppys_Left_Leg said:

@bigred87 said:

Was that game his debut?

Im not 100% sure

• Can't believe no one's mentioned Sido's one-step free-kick in the pissing rain at Newport

• Emblen against Lincoln.

• @Glenny said:
    Emblen against Lincoln.

And Wigan a few day's before

• Tony Hemmings home to Crewe. Some of the crowd lover him some didn't. World beater that day