Skip to content

50 years of supporting Wycombe today

13»

Comments

• 63 for me. Was not allowed to go to the '57 final as I was "too small". I did get to go the following season, not sure what the first game was. The first "big game" I can remember is the Amateur Cup replay against Barnet which we lost 1-0. I was on the terrace at the hospital end and only saw any action was when my dad put me on his shoulders. In those days, all replays were on the Saturday afternoon following the original tie, there were no midweek games, nobody at our level had floodlights back then.

• Following on from Haggis's comment about floodlights, my first trip to Loakes Park was in about 1968 (when I attended supporting my home town, Slough Town). Wycombe were 'big time', being from the Isthmian League, as opposed to Athenian League, Slough, As a consequence, the two teams only tended to meet in B&B games.

Then in came the midweek floodlight league. As I recall Slough won 5-1 at Wycombe and 2-0 at the Dolphin and then managed to lose the B&B Cup final to Wycombe at Easter (can someone check those results and see if the memory is sound).

I started work in Marlow in 1973 and went to all Wycombe's cup games throughout the 1970s and when it came to inculcating my daughters into football, I started to take them to Adams Park and have been a regular for the last 25 years.

I still look out with interest for the Rebels score lines and would love to see them get back to the Conference, having eventually got a decent ground of their own within the town.

• @micra said:

@mooneyman said:
    I bet @micra was in one of 'em trees!

Funny you should say that. Late (very late) last night I wrote about Barclays crediting my current account with £50 and sending me a mug with the Wanderers badge and “100% Wycombe since 1938” emblazoned on it. Intended as a softener after some kind of minor quibble I had which they construed as a complaint.

I have banked with Barclays for 64 years so I was due some sort of recognition.
    But the reason I’m laboriously tapping this out is that I can find neither head nor hair/Hyde nor hare of the comment I tapped out 24 hours ago. Anyone seen it?
    BTW it’s 52 years and I recall diddly squat about my debut game in 1968.

@micra I definitely saw it on these very pages.

• I was at Loakes Park in 1947 when Frank Adams presented Loakes Park to the club. After that the main highlights were semi finals in the Amateur Cup at Brentford and Doncaster and then the final at Wembley, all unfortunately lost to Bishop Auckland. The first memory I have of attending Loakes Park was to see an American Football game staged by the Americans stationed at Wycombe Abbey. It was to show us what it was all about but I left as mystified as I still am watching it on TV.

• Thanks for sharing @wingnut. Wonderful to think we’ve still got supporters who were present on that momentous occasion!

• @wingnut, I wonder if that American Football match was around the same time that Jayne Mansfield visited the RGS for an American Football match.

https://swop.org.uk/swopimg/web/BFP68063.jpg

Caption: Jayne Mansfield and her husband with three Beauty Contestants, at a U.S.A.F American Football match at the Grammar School, Amersham Rd, High Wycombe. 24 Oct 1959

• I don't know. I left the RGS in 1950 and then did two years in the RAF By 1959 I had a family and been working for 6years and a bit out of touch at that time.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    @wingnut, I wonder if that American Football match was around the same time that Jayne Mansfield visited the RGS for an American Football match.

https://swop.org.uk/swopimg/web/BFP68063.jpg

Caption: Jayne Mansfield and her husband with three Beauty Contestants, at a U.S.A.F American Football match at the Grammar School, Amersham Rd, High Wycombe. 24 Oct 1959

Seems the US Dept of Homeland Security have embargoed that link. Where is Carrie Matherson when you need her?

• Many thanks @woodlands and @Steve_Peart. It really is time I was put down although, come to think of it, I’ve been put down a few times on here. I am currently trying to be more disciplined about when I turn in; 1.15 am isn’t ideal for an old guy with a dodgy ticker!

• You're welcome @micra :(

• @woodlands said:

@ryan_w_kirkby said:
    Just over 27 years since my first game, wigan away in 93 a 1-1 draw.

Was another 8 years before I got my first home game in I think but did plenty of northern games away games in that time.

Your's is a great story that I was privileged to hear from you on Lancaster station a number of years ago when we were making our way to a match at Morecambe. Come on both of our Blues.

Just seen this, a lot has changed since then. Hope your well.