Skip to content

50 years of supporting Wycombe today

November 21st 1970 - Wycombe v Slough Town in the FA Cup 1st Round at Loakes Park. My first ever WW match. My cousin & my uncle had come over for the weekend & along with my father we decided to go to the match.

I don’t remember a lot about it except that the first ever Wycombe goal I saw scored was the equaliser by Tony Horseman. What I do remember though was how colourful the crowd were with home-made scarves, hats & banners.

I didn’t go to the replay but went a few more times that season until I was pressured into buying a season-ticket the following season by some school mates. The rest they say is history.

I should be at Adams Park today celebrating this & watching the Blues play in the Championship. The fact that I can’t is extremely disappointing but it does highlight the astonishing progress this club has made. There have been some wonderful times supporting the club but my lasting memories will always be the atmosphere created on a big match day at Loakes Park. I wish I could have bottled some of that atmosphere for future posterity.

Comments

• Congratulations on the big five-oh Andy. Just the 41 years this month for me (Dagenham at home) but hoping we can be back at games soon to celebrate.

• Nice one Andy. There was something really special about cup games at Loakes Park in those days. It’s the rattles I most remember about the crowds when I first went along.

And I wonder where we’ll be when you are able to celebrate 100 years of watching us?

• 46 years next month for me. The draw with Cheltenham in the cup, followed by the draw with Middlesbrough in the cup. 180 mins with no goals, I was hooked!!

• Been sat trying to work it out... 42 years for me I reckon !

• Coming up to 54. 1 January 1966, home to Alveley in the Amateur Cup. Won 2-1 but don’t remember much. Badger may have scored the first Wycombe goal I saw scored too though.

Hired a box to mark 50 years. Absolutely chucked it down with rain all morning and during the game. Lost 2-0 to Morecambe with Ingram sent off. Dire!

• @bookertease said:
    Coming up to 54. 1 January 1966, home to Alveley in the Amateur Cup. Won 2-1 but don’t remember much. Badger may have scored the first Wycombe goal I saw scored too though.

I was unaware of this chapter in @eric_plant’s life!

• 50+? years for me. No idea who we were playing week to week but I do have vivid memories of watching Len Worley cross the ball in from right by the bottom corner flag at the gasworks end.

• @A_Worboys said:
    November 21st 1970 - Wycombe v Slough Town in the FA Cup 1st Round at Loakes Park. My first ever WW match. My cousin & my uncle had come over for the weekend & along with my father we decided to go to the match.

I don’t remember a lot about it except that the first ever Wycombe goal I saw scored was the equaliser by Tony Horseman. What I do remember though was how colourful the crowd were with home-made scarves, hats & banners.

I didn’t go to the replay but went a few more times that season until I was pressured into buying a season-ticket the following season by some school mates. The rest they say is history.

I should be at Adams Park today celebrating this & watching the Blues play in the Championship. The fact that I can’t is extremely disappointing but it does highlight the astonishing progress this club has made. There have been some wonderful times supporting the club but my lasting memories will always be the atmosphere created on a big match day at Loakes Park. I wish I could have bottled some of that atmosphere for future posterity.

A second half kicking towards a packed Gasworks end was something uniquely special, that it didnt needed a covered end to create a wonderful atmosphere in big games.
    It wasnt an intimidating atmosphere, just a lovely buzz that the boys in blue were gonna deliver.

• Me, a mere spring chicken at 30 years, huh!

• 47 years for me my first game was at home to Newport in 1973 which we won 3-1.

• Only 14 for me. Can I carry years over from another team?

• @Wendoverman said:
    Only 14 for me. Can I carry years over from another team?

Have you done Carlisle away?

• No @malone I rarely travel so does that bring it down to only 7 in real fan years?

• @Wendoverman said:
    No @malone I rarely travel so does that bring it down to only 7 in real fan years?

Yes i'm afraid you're barely a fan.

• August 67. Wycombe 6-1 Hitchin. Hence my nom de plume. With a score like that on your first game you’ve got to keep coming haven’t you ?

• 61 years for me.

• 30 years in early December for me.

• 40 years tomorrow - Bournemouth in the FA Cup at Loakes Park. Even a 0-3 defeat didn’t put me off.

• 29 years for me

A 1-3 defeat at home to Barnet was my first game, followed by a 2-0 victory against Stafford Rangers

• You can see why the Facebook goons think the Gasroom is full of old gits, can't you.

• The 85 cup matches were amongst the first matches I remember seeing. I think I went to the Hitachi Cup Final 2nd leg the season before though, possibly Farnborough were the opposition? Simon Read scored with a bicycle kick. Living close to Loakes Park I'd been getting in free at half time for a year or 2 previous.

• Can't recall my first match but it was in the early 50s. So I reckon this old git has been a supporter for 65 years or so.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    You can see why the Facebook goons think the Gasroom is full of old gits, can't you.

When I saw even @mooneyman must be 61 years minimum (i've seen some fans claim their support started from birth - so unless he's counting before that!), when some of his posts suggest a much younger man, I started thinking that too!

• I’m just a baby in comparison, a mere 2years as a regular. I think I went to few games at Loakes Park as small kid but I don’t remember too much about the games.

My first visit to Adams Park was a friendly vs Sutton United in 1991 a game I can’t find anywhere in the history. I assume it was a pre- season friendly, I took my then girlfriend ( now wife) whose only other games were the 1-0 victory over Slough Town in 92 , and the play off final vs Southend.

• @Gordon_Ottershaw said:
    I’m just a baby in comparison, a mere 2years as a regular. I think I went to few games at Loakes Park as small kid but I don’t remember too much about the games.

My first visit to Adams Park was a friendly vs Sutton United in 1991 a game I can’t find anywhere in the history. I assume it was a pre- season friendly, I took my then girlfriend ( now wife) whose only other games were the 1-0 victory over Slough Town in 92 , and the play off final v Southend

• I'm fairly certain that Mark West scored 4 against Sutton around that time

• Jesse ... 28 years

• Yep, 15th December 1990 we beat Sutton 4-1

I'm sure Westy scored all 4

• First game was in the Jim Kelman years but, and this might be cheating, I'm pretty sure I watched Wycombe play by looking out of a window at the hospital in 1982. Was that possible?

• Just over 27 years since my first game, wigan away in 93 a 1-1 draw.

Was another 8 years before I got my first home game in I think but did plenty of northern games away games in that time.