Skip to content

Match day thread: Sheffield Wednesday

1235»

Comments

• It's a big "if", but if we match Forest's result during the week, we could go above them with a win next Saturday.

• @Shev said:
    Obligatory obsession thread from our tinpot friends up north:

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/wycombe.1532271/

My favorite has to be this:

"Love it, and the bitterness is hilarious.

Gwoarn the Chairboys!"

"Southerners like you and @Scunny Dan do not understand northern hillbilly Viking style blood feuds.

We don’t like cheating, in some areas of rural County Durham it’s still punishable by blinding a man’s favourite sheep."

Seriously though, what a milestone in WWFC history, our first ever win in the second tier. Immensely proud of the whole club tonight and a positive way for Chairboys nationally to enter what I'm sure will be a challenging time of lockdown. We hope the football can continue; our response to adversity, togetherness and trajectory are a wonder to behold in these troubling times.

A famous victory, one more and we are above the red line for the very first time. Can you feel the excitement?! And that is why other fans are obsessed. Because this is the feeling every fan wants to have.

• I think Wheeler has been immense so far. Not surprised, but he's played four positions equally adeptly and that header today was quality. One of Gareth's very best signings.

• Totally agree about Wheeler, has been shunted around to play various roles.
    Intelligent player on and off the pitch, rarely gives the ball away, superb in the air.
    Along with Grimmer, superb signings by Gareth in 2019.

• @eric_plant said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Can I just give a shout out to @glasshalffull for some great, completely biased co commentary. Great to hear him shouting the same stuff as us, despite decades of impartial media experience.

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't like the biased commentary, and for my money Phil always stays the right side of the line. We're lucky to have him.

Similarly lucky to have a commentator as good as Alan Parry to be able to co-commentate of course, he's very good. Just find the partisan stuff a bit cringey. Appealing for a foul throw in the 88th minutes is just desperate stuff.

Overall, brilliant commentary today though. I'd be delighted with these two for every game

Any opportunity eh! eric_plant. Give him a break he cares like the rest of us.

• I said he was a brilliant commentator and I'd be delighted if he did it every week. Can you read?

• @eric_plant said:
    I said he was a brilliant commentator and I'd be delighted if he did it every week. Can you read?

Certainly can including the caveats you added.

• @eric_plant I agree about the commentary. Phil strikes a realy nice balance: clearly a fan, but never ridiculously one-eyed and his more jaundiced comments always tempered with humour. It grated from Alan Parry today, partly because I didn't think the ref was that bad, as I say, but also, I guess, because I've known for about 45 years (since listening to european commentaries on a transistor radio under the covers) what a great commentator he is.

• @Username said:
    It's Wycombe Wanderers TV, it's meant to be biased.

I’m not employed by the club, I work for BBC3CR. The club take the audio of our radio commentary to sync with iFollow pictures (when it works!) We can naturally lean towards the teams from our patch.

It was great to have @glasshalffull on again today as it was Ballroom Bill last week. The station has zero budget for summarisers so we have to get by with the good will of a variety of contributors, and we are blessed with who we do have.

• That’s massive. Such a huge effort today, and finally the rewards they deserve. Congratulations to them all. Fingers crossed there isn’t a significant issue with Adeniran, he’s so important to what we’re doing right now. I’d have to agree that having Knight at the back has made a big difference, so he should stay there. The current back four is improving every week, don’t mess with it unless strictly necessary. Two matches in a week to get through now, then a much needed rest (I can’t believe I’m holding out for an international break!). I’ve always looked at Birmingham away as a good chance to pick up some points... their own points tally is certainly not a reflection of how poor they’ve been from what I’ve seen. Another huge week ahead!

• I think Josh Knight has been superb. As I understand it, he hasn’t played as a central defender that much - he was used as a box to box midfielder at Peterborough last season, I believe - and I agree that it would make sense for him to move forward when Ryan Tafazolli returns to the starting line-up, enabling Anthony Stewart to revert to his preferred position. But it’s great that the two of them have quickly developed such a good partnership. A useful option to have if either (but not both!) of the first choice central defenders is unavailable.

With Tafazolli’s 6’5” frame alongside Stewart and two excellent full backs (plus a very competent ‘keeper, of course) we should be well prepared to deal with the the kind of sustained onslaught that we encountered during the second half today.
    There’ll be plenty of that this season.

Looking ahead to Wednesday (the day not the owls) I was thinking back to what may have been the last time we played a competitive game against a big Midlands club. We played really well following a draw at Adams Park. One of our best performances of the decade even if we did lose narrowly. Let’s hope we go one better in the West Midlands next week.

• @bluntphil said:

@Username said:
    It's Wycombe Wanderers TV, it's meant to be biased.

I’m not employed by the club, I work for BBC3CR. The club take the audio of our radio commentary to sync with iFollow pictures (when it works!) We can naturally lean towards the teams from our patch.

It was great to have @glasshalffull on again today as it was Ballroom Bill last week. The station has zero budget for summarisers so we have to get by with the good will of a variety of contributors, and we are blessed with who we do have.

I enjoyed working with Phil again, he’s the commentator
    whose job is to describe the action in a balanced and reasonably neutral fashion, which he does very well. My role was to be summariser for our local radio station and for Wycombe fans watching on the club’s Ifollow service. I think that allows me to see the action from a Wycombe perspective and I make no apologies for that.

Those who don’t enjoy the occasional pro-Wycombe bias should try tuning in to the opposition club’s coverage and I suggest you will be taken aback by the levels of favouritism shown on their commentaries.
    Incidentally, i thought the referee had a poor game.

• A great team performance. I enjoyed the commentary. I thought the officials had a bad day. Did I miss something that added six minutes?

• Maybe quite a lot of timewasting

• Must have been the excitement/nailbiting terror of the second half as except for Rocky's usual ambling about I did not notice that much. Might have been @glasshalffull clearly partisan complaints of injustice distracting me! ?

• To be fair they were joking about it on the commentary

• I did listen to the BBC Radio Sheffield commentary for a few minutes out of curiosity, I can definitely confirm that their summariser was far more partisan than @glasshalffull. His constant moaning at Akinfenwa for remonstrating that he was having his shirt torn off him tacit acknowledgement that he is being fouled.
    As for the ref, he wasn't great though he didn't have any game-changing decisions to make. Judging by how he bottled giving Paterson a second yellow twice, it's just as well he didn't have any to make.

• edited November 2020

I have no problem with partisan at all, though I understand there is an extreme where every decision is questioned, and it becomes the boy who cried wolf. However, we almost always stay on the right side of this. I thoroughly enjoyed @glasshalffull's colour today, and of course @bluntphil is always exceptional.

Let's also remember that when possible, we have had actual Wycombe players on the mic, such as Bean, Grimmer, Smyth, Sido and Charles, and those broadcasts have always been fascinating, with those lads unashamedly partisan, for obvious reasons.

iFollow is the general platform, but what I pay for is 'iFollow Wycombe', and (perhaps all the more because I am so far away from the UK), I love feeling like I am in a pub with a couple of mates, one of which (Phil) concentrates more on keeping me up to date with the cut and thrust of the game itself with various wry observations along the way, while the other (guest) freestyles, ranging from actual analytical co-commentary to outbursts at referee incompetence. It is a great blend, and I only had to hear ESPN/Sky's "neutral" team talk about Wycombe's "104 year history" or pronounce JJ's surname as "Yakobson" during the Watford game to know that I would much rather be back in the pub with those two mates.

So don't go changing, Phil, Alan, Bill, and the rest of you!

• I really enjoyed Alan Parry on the mic today, he had done his research like a good commentator should,

• Agree with the above, I enjoyed the commentary of Mr Parry & Phil. I have listened on IFollow when we are away, to the home teams "commentary" & believe me it always shows far more bias. To the point that I have had to ask my good lady to find a way of getting the commentary of @bluntPhil on to audio. For some strange reason, it is easy on my desktop Mac, (by pressing on the cog next to the audio symbol), than my wifes' AppleMac laptop, where there is no cog symbol? Yet we both use Safari as the route in! Sadly, the laptop we can place next to the TV & connect with a HDMI cable, so that wins hands down. Just a pain in the derriere as I can't let her ladyship change the settings during the 1st half in case I miss something!
    Since I have sat nest to Phil at an away match at Cheltenham many moons ago, I found his view on a game ally with mine, (honest, which sometimes mean brutal), as such, when we could only have audio, I could find myself in my home office listening in with eyes closed & know that the assessment was always reflective of the action on the pitch.I am perfectly happy with any of the current set up to listen in on.

• What a result! Thought Kashket was immense second half. He man marked/harassed Bannan for quite a bit of time which really seemed to help us.
    All of them were outstanding yesterday.
    If Adeniran is injured it could be a real problem for us. Best wishes to GA and a speedy recovery.
    Finally, Tafazolli has to play Weds night to man mark Jutkiewicz. We can then push Knight into midfield if Adeniran is not fit...

• LX1LX1
    edited November 2020

Sunday Monday, happy days
    Wycombe beat Wednesday, happy days
    David Wheeler, what a goal
    Rockin all week with Gaz

This day is ouuuuurs

Oh happy days

• Your witty little ditty somehow puts me in mind of Les Dawson @LX1. Elbow gainst t***y.

• Really proud of the boys, great win, well deserved. Great commentary from @bluntphil and @glasshalffull keep it up and keep wearing those light dark blue specs! Ref bad but it'll even itself out. Seedy recovery Gaz. 11 points off the playoffs, onwards and upwards!

• To be fair @Ozzie_the_Relaxed he did look a bit seedy yesterday.