Skip to content

Match day thread: Sheffield Wednesday

Comments

• We beat all the refs
    We beat all the re-e-effffs
    Wycombe Wanderers
    We beat all the refs

• That was not good for the blood pressure, but finally ....

MOM - Stewart

• Horrible reffing, real defensive job, but what a win!!
    Essential.

• Great battling second half. Thompson my man.of the match.

• How bad was that ref!! Great win

• BLUE ARMY!!!!!!

• Get. In. Rocky or Stewart MOTM

• @bigred87 said:
    How bad was that ref!! Great win

We just need to auto stamp this comment every week it seems!

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Passing stats are interesting

Do we still win 1-0 and find ourselves only 2 points behind Derby and Forest?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Get. In. Rocky or Stewart MOTM

they were great but Thompson was utterly sensational

• We beat Sheffield Wednesday!!!

I wonder if a team has ever won in the Championship with so little possession? It can have been much more than 20%

• Thompson man of the match for me. He was brilliant.

• Might as a we'll set this on timer for the end of every match:

Curtis Thompson is a sensational footballer

Also, Anthony Stewart today was immense. Born to play at this level

• Paterson brought to mind memories (both in style of play and the "prematurely aged" look) of Graham Kavanagh. Not a good thing.

Stewart immense.

The Peter Taylor-style "get the goal then shut up shop" is not something I could say was fun to watch, but you can certainly understand it.

• I'm absolutely exhausted

Stewart and Thompson both superb, and special mentions for Horgan and Grimmer

• edited October 2020

Thompson and Stewart superb today.

Just hope Adeniran is ok. Didn't seem to look himself from the off today, but hopefully a minor thing, as take him out and it suddenly looks a little bare in that position again.

Critical win, after a number of weeks of hard luck stories, keeping us in touch, and shutting the door on Wednesday.

• Curtis Thompson & Anthony Stewart absolute machines today. Horgan worked his arse off too. Josh Knight gets better every game. What a turnaround from those opening games where we were so off the pace.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    We beat Sheffield Wednesday!!!

I wonder if a team has ever won in the Championship with so little possession? It can have been much more than 20%

27% apparently. 6% more than we had at home in the 2nd leg v Fleetwood.

• Oh my days, that was hard to watch at times but well worth it. As everyone's said - Thompson and Stewart absolutely superb, but also yet another great display from Allsop.

• Wycombe with Ainsworth often have sequences of results - seven in a row would be good now.

• So proud to be a Wycombe fan today. Clapped them off the field

• Agree with Thompson, Stewart and Rocky...but how good is Grimmer, too?

• edited October 2020

Some incredible performances today. Thompson was back to his absolute best, both on and off the ball. It makes such a difference when he has the confidence to carry the ball or turn round players in the middle.

Great win and something to build on- really hope Adeniran was taken off as a precaution rather than a proper knock though, him and Curtis are forming an excellent partnership

Get. In. Rocky or Stewart MOTM

Add Thompson to this. Hell, add them all!

• Grimmer has been in my opinion are best player this season, he's class

• That was a tough watch! Not as good on the ball as recent performances, but a sensational defensive effort. An absolutely vital win.

• I am only interested in survival this term...next season for silky skills that are a delight to watch!?

• You really saw the difference Adeniran makes when he came off - Blooms gets it away and that was fine with our game plan, but Dennis controls it and is on a completely different level. Fingers crossed he's back Wednesday.

You really saw the difference Adeniran makes when he came off - Blooms gets it away and that was fine with our game plan, but Dennis controls it and is on a completely different level. Fingers crossed he's back Wednesday.

The game changed completely when Dennis came off. He really is immense for us.

No faulting Mr Wycombe, but they have very different attributes.

You really saw the difference Adeniran makes when he came off - Blooms gets it away and that was fine with our game plan, but Dennis controls it and is on a completely different level. Fingers crossed he's back Wednesday.

With all due respect it's utterly chalk and cheese isn't it.

Bloomfield got it from JJ near the touchline at one point, and had utterly no interest or ability to run it away, and instead tried to shield it with two absolutely criminal attempts at dives.
    Adeniran would have taken the ball, and blitzed off.

However, we all know this, and Bloomy helped see that out.

Horses for courses this season and when everyone is fit presumably Samuel and Bloomfield will have watered down roles.