Skip to content

Match day thread: Sheffield Wednesday

Comments

• I think we made hard work of that at times. There were opportunities to find feet to Horgan, Kashkett and Fred second half but we were a bit panicky and went long or kicked into out of play. That really invited wave after wave of pressure.

Great defensive performance though. The clean sheet is nearly as important as the win, although I think Wednesday will be very frustrated they didn’t create better chances with all that possession.

Big result in any case. Nothing against Weds but we really need them to have a bad season and for the points deduction to subsequently keep them below us.

Big games in Nov (if they go ahead), including some of the teams just above us.

• There was one frutsrating moment where the ball got caught up in a cluster of players just outside our box.

If we'd just got a foot on it, we would have had a breakaway of about 4 v 1!

Oh well - worked out well in the end

• @bigred87 said:
    Grimmer has been in my opinion are best player this season, he's class

Got to agree with you there. I watched the Coventry game last night, just to see what they’d replaced him with. I’d have Grimmer over Dabo every time, and it’s not even close.

Special shout out to Grimmer for that break down the right and pinpoint pass to Bayo’s chest. And also to Horgan for that break down the left after winning a ball he had absolutely no right to.

While that was as tense a second half as I can remember, the individual performances were phenomenal across the whole team.

• Spot on @Malone - I was begging Blooms to look for the pass, rather than the foul.

That being said, very apt he was wearing the armband for the confirmation of our first ever Championship win!

• Obligatory obsession thread from our tinpot friends up north:

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/wycombe.1532271/

• @Shev said:
    Obligatory obsession thread from our tinpot friends up north:

Such a weird obsession some of them have.
    Good to see a couple of reasonable types on that thread though.

• @Shev said:

Pardon my french, fk em, this is all about the work Gaz and Dobbo and all have done over 6/7 years and nothing to do with jealous eyes who've achieved less and piddled away fortunes

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    You really saw the difference Adeniran makes when he came off - Blooms gets it away and that was fine with our game plan, but Dennis controls it and is on a completely different level. Fingers crossed he's back Wednesday.

With all due respect it's utterly chalk and cheese isn't it.

Bloomfield got it from JJ near the touchline at one point, and had utterly no interest or ability to run it away, and instead tried to shield it with two absolutely criminal attempts at dives.
    Adeniran would have taken the ball, and blitzed off.

However, we all know this, and Bloomy helped see that out.

Horses for courses this season and when everyone is fit presumably Samuel and Bloomfield will have watered down roles.

Horses for courses suggests that there would be games where you'd want Bloomfield over Adeniran, I just can't see that. And that's meant as a compliment to Adeniran who's been our best player so far IMO, rather than a slight on Bloomfield. Considering this is Adeniran's first season in men's football I've been shocked at how good he is, incredible loan signing.

• It’s worth stating again that Notts County released Curtis from poor League 2 team.

He is now dominating midfields in the Championship.

That is down to our manager and assistant. Again.

• Hopefully Gape back imminently - him, Thompson and Adeniran is a serious trio to choose from.

• @Username said:

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    You really saw the difference Adeniran makes when he came off - Blooms gets it away and that was fine with our game plan, but Dennis controls it and is on a completely different level. Fingers crossed he's back Wednesday.

With all due respect it's utterly chalk and cheese isn't it.

Bloomfield got it from JJ near the touchline at one point, and had utterly no interest or ability to run it away, and instead tried to shield it with two absolutely criminal attempts at dives.
    Adeniran would have taken the ball, and blitzed off.

However, we all know this, and Bloomy helped see that out.

Horses for courses this season and when everyone is fit presumably Samuel and Bloomfield will have watered down roles.

Horses for courses suggests that there would be games where you'd want Bloomfield over Adeniran, I just can't see that. And that's meant as a compliment to Adeniran who's been our best player so far IMO, rather than a slight on Bloomfield. Considering this is Adeniran's first season in men's football I've been shocked at how good he is, incredible loan signing.

No, more like there's situations that will suit Bloomfield, not necessarily instead of Adeniran.

Seeing out wins with a high work rate late on would definitely suit Bloomfield. Today was forced and a bit early and not ideally in a midfield 2, but with 20mins to go he could do a job as the furthest forward defensive mid!

Still need to see a lot more of Uche to see if he has anywhere near Bayo's aerial ability. He's very good at holding the ball up, but you can see him giving an outrageous amount of free kicks away.

• He'll give an outrageous amount of free-kicks away because he's big - and as we well know, that's a foul in itself.

• Give the management team a few more months with Uche. He’ll weigh in with a few useful goals this season.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    Give the management team a few more months with Uche. He’ll weigh in with a few useful goals this season.

He's learning from the best - he'll be just fine!

• Can I just give a shout out to @glasshalffull for some great, completely biased co commentary. Great to hear him shouting the same stuff as us, despite decades of impartial media experience.

• Really enjoyed him being on the mic, for sure!

• Worked a lot better than the Bill leading and Phil co-commentating last week I think.

• Really gutsy performance today. We defended admirably in the second half, having attacked well in the first.

I thought Adeniran looked a bit weary at points in today's game, which isn't that surprising, given what he put in against Watford. As a result, I thought that there was the odd moment when that space in front of the centre backs was left a bit too open - more like the Luton match than the Watford or Norwich matches, I'd say. Assuming that Gape is out for a while longer, it will be interesting to see if we use Knight in midfield with Tafazolli coming in at the back, to allow Adeniran and Thompson some respite. That's particularly in these periods of 3 games a week.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Shev said:

Pardon my french, fk em, this is all about the work Gaz and Dobbo and all have done over 6/7 years and nothing to do with jealous eyes who've achieved less and piddled away fortunes

I agree, but it will be funny five years from now when people ask "Where did this Sunderland-Wycombe rivalry come from?" and realize it is their fans who begged for it.

• edited October 2020

@our_frank I'd rather have Tafazolli in there and Stewart back to his natural side to give the back four the best balance. Although Knight and Stewart have developed a great partnership already. A good problem to have, I guess?

Gape has been back in full training with Taf and McCarthy though, so he can't be far off at all.

• Is Charles injured, or has he simply dropped down the pecking order now?

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Can I just give a shout out to @glasshalffull for some great, completely biased co commentary. Great to hear him shouting the same stuff as us, despite decades of impartial media experience.

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't like the biased commentary, and for my money Phil always stays the right side of the line. We're lucky to have him.

Similarly lucky to have a commentator as good as Alan Parry to be able to co-commentate of course, he's very good. Just find the partisan stuff a bit cringey. Appealing for a foul throw in the 88th minutes is just desperate stuff.

Overall, brilliant commentary today though. I'd be delighted with these two for every game

• I must admit, I agree with Eric... thought it was just a little bit too biased

• Just 11 points off the playoffs now lads.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I must admit, I agree with Eric... thought it was just a little bit too biased

Ditto.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I must admit, I agree with Eric... thought it was just a little bit too biased

I would agree if he were commentating like that on us for Sky. But he isn’t and never has. It’s a bit different on a platform that will be listened to by, I’m guessing, 99% Wycombe followers.

• Yeah, totally fine to be biased when the commentary is aimed at fans of one team

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Yeah, totally fine to be biased when the commentary is aimed at fans of one team

100% this. He was exactly how you'd expect a co-commentator to be.
    The main commentator ideally will stay a little bit more reasoned, and Big Phil despite being a Wycombe fan does it perfectly.

This is why for me, Bill as main man, and Phil co-commentating didn't work anywhere near as well last week.

• Really pleased with how we took care of business today. The first half looked like two well matched if below average Championship teams going at it. No doubt our approach would have been different if we hadn’t scoured before half time, but we know how confident our players are at holding a lead.

Stewart, Curtis, Grimmer and Kashket look more comfortable at this level every game. I thought Horgan had a great game too, especially some of his tracking back. No surprise that Adeniran fell short of his own, very high standard today. He’s had a huge month, and doors so well with the step up to senior football. I wonder if GA might be tempted to give him a break of Wednesday, put Knight next to Thommo and restore Taf to the back four.

Two tough away games coming up, 2-4 points would be incredible.

• edited October 2020

It's Wycombe Wanderers TV, it's meant to be biased.

I wouldn't dream of dropping Knight right now, him and Stewart are looking good together, and having Knight at the right CB gives us a better long ball outlet on the opposite side to JJ.

For all of Stewart and Grimmer's excellence in other areas, consistently landing the ball on Bayos head from 50 yards, sometimes under pressure, isn't their best suit, compared to Knight anyway. There were games last year where teams worked out that a lot of our attacks start with JJ landing the ball on Bayo and deliberately stopped it, with Knight there that's a lot harder to do.