Skip to content

Match day thread: Reading

Comments

• Reading have been desperate for a meaningful rivalry for years. No-one cares anywhere near enough about them except for Aldershot

• Erm, this should be on the other thread

Gasroom still broken

• I hope you don't mind me posting - Just post to introduce myself,

My name is Brian Jeeves. I’m a sportswriter based in south-east Essex and occasionally provide co-commentary alongside Phil Catchpole for BBC3CR on Wycombe Wanderers.

I met Phil at Adams Park several years ago. He’d been on the mic while I was reporting on a 4-1 League Two victory for the Chairboys over Southend United. We got on well and he invited me to do one or two pre-match bits and pieces when Wycombe played teams from my region. This evolved to co-commentary whenever the opportunity arises, something I thoroughly enjoy.

Phil mentioned on air at Reading an enquiry as to whether I came from Canvey? Not far, I’m from Southend (I grew up supporting the Shrimpers) and currently reside in Shoeburyness, a seaside town four miles further east.

The club has always been extremely welcoming, as have the Chairboys supporters I’ve come across when visiting. I certainly enjoy visiting Adams Park to watch and cover the games.

Wishing all Wycombe Wanderers fans all the very best - Hope to see everyone back in the stadium really soon. The win will come - Keep the faith.

Once again, best wishes

Brian

• Thanks @BrianJeeves68, do you get to see Southend much? What in the world has gone wrong there?

• Welcome @BrianJeeves68, you'll find the Gasroom home to all manner of folk from total pessimists to rose-tinted optimists.
    We can certainly irritate each other from time to time, which leads to some interesting exchange of views.

What we share, though, is a love of WWFC.

• Welcome Brian. I trust we share a mutual disdain for Col I?

• @glasshalffull said:

@aloysius said:
    Surely the worst case scenario is we do a Yeovil and suffer back to back 24th place finishes. I don't think it's a given this current squad would be at the top of League One. Last season was miraculous and miracles don't happen twice...

No one could ever accuse you of being an optimist, could they?

Lots of examples of 'big' teams suffering consecutive relegations.

• I wonder if there would have been a difference in our performances had fans been allowed to watch?

It is slowly beginning to sink in that we may never get to support our team in the Championship. One thing is for sure whatever happens this season, we will never forget this.

I try to keep reminding myself of the euphoria of a few months ago. We did the unthinkable. We are now living the dream. We were never expected to go up...but we did.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    I wonder if there would have been a difference in our performances had fans been allowed to watch?

It is slowly beginning to sink in that we may never get to support our team in the Championship. One thing is for sure whatever happens this season, we will never forget this.

I try to keep reminding myself of the euphoria of a few months ago. We did the unthinkable. We are now living the dream. We were never expected to go up...but we did.

I wonder that too. I also wonder if, as it became clear that that fans in stadiums (who provide income) wasn’t going to happen for a considerable time, Rob and co decided not to spend quite as much money in this window? I’d say I’m less optimistic than some about our chances of staying up but very optimistic that we’ll come back up. 2021/22 with an improved ground, improved match day experience (so improved match day profits) and some money left over from this year to improve the squad, IF we’re in league 1 we’ll be right up there for a return.

If we don’t get a point this season but can keep Gaz, Dobbo and the key players it will still have been a good year. Any more than that is icing on the cake.

• @BrianJeeves68 nice one Brian, enjoyed your commentary with @bluntphil

• I'll try to answer a few of the questions...

floyd: I get to see Southend several times a season these days. I also cover West Ham, Tottenham, Colchester, Orient and Dagenham. Sadly, the Blues have been on thin ice for a number of years. I think relegation to the National League is the least of the clubs' problems at the moment. There is a real belief this could be the end of them.

Twizz: Always great to listen to fans opinions, whatever they might be. Sometimes we all see a different game. That's what makes football so fascinating.

eric_plant: Lol, strangely (and to the annoyance of a number of Southend fans), I don't have a problem with Colchester. When I first started writing, they were extremely helpful in providing a platform and inviting me to matches (in much the same way Wycombe have been with the co-commentary). I'm aware of the rivalry with Wycombe too - I know Roy McDonough reasonably well. He's a bit of a character shall we say:-)))

thecatwwfc and Manboobs: I think the affect empty stadium has on the players is huge. It affects us in the press box too. We write or provide commentary not only from the action but off the emotions of the crowd. The sooner we are all back together, the better as far as I'm concerned.

peterparrotface: Many thanks, Peter. Really appreciate that, as does Phil. (Cheques' in the post;-)))

• Great stuff @BrianJeeves68, though sad to hear that Southend might not be long for this world. I enjoyed the commentary on Tuesday, and look forward to you being back!

• Thanks @BrianJeeves68 I was born in Rochford and lived there until I was 2. Following the ‘Support the club you were born near’ rule means I’ve always had a soft spot for Southend. I very much hope they survive this.

Keep up your good work with @bluntphil in this strangest of seasons. We’ll all be back to bring the noise when we can.

• Manboobs: I was born in Rochford Hospital too. Lived off Holt Farm Way. Sad as it seems, Southend might need to reach rock bottom before they can evolve again - hopefully, under new ownership and living within their means, whatever league that might be in.

• Do they all still get upset at "you all support West Ham"?

I remember a lot of shellsuits flapping around furiously at that chant one game over Christmas about 25 years ago (Neville Southall was in goal as I recall)

• eric_plant: Lol, one or two of them. Ah, big Nev. He was really big at that stage of his career. I remember him conceding a goal against Walsall at Roots Hall when he, quite literally, flopped over the ball. Sad to see such a one-great player in that state. Shellsuits - Now there's a memory. Paul Gascoigne used to have the best ones;-)

• Only Dog and Duck I know is in Wokingham and a Brakspear pub I believe.

• There's a magnificent Dog and Duck in Walthamstow, right next to Walthamstow FC who currently ground share with Clapton CFC. I recommend the Geezer pizza.

• Dog and Duck on Bateman Street is the winner here. Except on bins day.

• edited October 2020

Apparently in 2011 there were 19 Dog and Ducks in England. Sadly I expect one or two less now (only three more than Pineapple Inns!). Useless bit of trivia for you.

Anybody fancy having a guess at the ten most popular?

• Dog & Duck in Highmoor, near Nettlebed - possibly the closest D & D to Wycombe? closed at the end of 2011. Looked pretty grim last time I passed its doors.

• The oddest pub name I've come across is The Bucket of Blood when I went on holiday to Hayle, Cornwall a few years ago.

• @BrianJeeves68 said:

eric_plant: Lol, strangely (and to the annoyance of a number of Southend fans), I don't have a problem with Colchester. When I first started writing, they were extremely helpful in providing a platform and inviting me to matches (in much the same way Wycombe have been with the co-commentary). I'm aware of the rivalry with Wycombe too - I know Roy McDonough reasonably well. He's a bit of a character shall we say:-)))

May I suggest that admitting you don’t have a problem with Colchester and then saying that you know Red Card Roy isn’t likely to go down well with us older Wycombe fans!

• @DevC said:
    Apparently in 2011 there were 19 Dog and Ducks in England. Sadly I expect one or two less now (only three more than Pineapple Inns!). Useless bit of trivia for you.

Anybody fancy having a guess at the ten most popular?

Red Lion
    King's Head
    Devvo Chairboys Bar & Grill
    Queen's Head
    The Crown
    Bassist from Vanilla Fudge's Facial Expressions Inn
    Green Man
    The Book and Sachel
    The Beardy and braces
    The Swan

• You have to admit, @glasshalffull, McDonut is certainly "a bit of a character"...

• @mooneyman said:
    The oddest pub name I've come across is The Bucket of Blood when I went on holiday to Hayle, Cornwall a few years ago.

That's a great pub name !! Never heard that before

• @LeedsBlue said:
    You have to admit, @glasshalffull, McDonut is certainly "a bit of a character"...

I would prefer the description ‘a bit of a *******’!

• The sixth one in @peterparrotface’s Pointless Bonus Board type list could surely have been Tim Bogert’s Grin Inn.

• I’m shocked @glasshalffull.

• Oh, sorry, I’ve just worked it out.