Skip to content

PPG Applied in France

Comments

• I'm with @bookertease Join the nation in a Clap for Peterborough! Come on everyone...

• No problem at all @bookertease. You’re very kind.

I don’t often post on the gasroom, but I read it every day and it’s almost always an insightful and intelligent debate, whether it be on football or otherwise.

If only we could all resolve the ‘Peterborough issue’ - their behaviour has been horrendous and completely tone deaf given the wider situation in the country, so the less said about them the better!

• Sorry @Wendoverman, did you say you wanted to give Peterborough the clap they deserve?

• What flavour "clap" would that be as well please?

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52928261

"Rotherham chairman says 15 clubs will vote to end League One season"

• With all this delay hard to see how they could play even a traditional four team playoff with two leg semi.

Decision time 9 June, start training 11 June, minimum two weeks before start , first game 25 June, second 28 June final 2 July. And remember have to do this for two leagues with presumably tv coverage wanting separation between games so probably even longer schedule.

Yet if they go beyond 30 June you run into all sorts of contract issues.

And that’s assuming that none of the players test positive. Then what?

• Thanks for the new and valuable insight.

Do season ticket holders get priority access to the play offs?

• PPG was announced in France over 5 weeks ago. The EFL is still calling meetings about calling more meetings.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Thanks for the new and valuable insight.

He's right though isn't he? I'd actually say 2 weeks training wouldn't be enough, 3 weeks at minimum, so we'd definitely be into July. I assume they'll do similar to the PL and offer auto-renewal of contracts to the end of July for the teams affected, but who knows? Certainly the dithering of the EFL has limited the options somewhat.

• @Last_Quarter said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

He's right though isn't he? I'd actually say 2 weeks training wouldn't be enough, 3 weeks at minimum, so we'd definitely be into July. I assume they'll do similar to the PL and offer auto-renewal of contracts to the end of July for the teams affected, but who knows? Certainly the dithering of the EFL has limited the options somewhat.

Severance pay means out of contract players are paid by the club in July. I guess this is the leeway they are looking at. I'm pretty sure I've read loads of posts and articles talking about that.

The cost of paying players while training will probably mean the timescale is shorter even though I think for competition integrity they should have four weeks to get ready. Deciding a season or a play off with half fit players seems to me just as unsatisfactory as most other options.

• LX1LX1
    edited June 2020

They might play all four games (L1&L2) on the same day, one after the other for tv. After all, they no longer have to worry about our travel plans, which is normally top of their agenda.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Last_Quarter said:

Severance pay means out of contract players are paid by the club in July. I guess this is the leeway they are looking at. I'm pretty sure I've read loads of posts and articles talking about that.

The cost of paying players while training will probably mean the timescale is shorter even though I think for competition integrity they should have four weeks to get ready. Deciding a season or a play off with half fit players seems to me just as unsatisfactory as most other options.

This only works for players without clubs. A large number of players out of contract on June 30th will have signed contracts with new clubs.

Players are allowed to talk and sign for new clubs from January, allowing a smooth transition at the end of June.

To keep the integrity of the current season and squads, it is impossible for games to take place after June 30th.

• @wwfcblue said:

@Last_Quarter said:

This only works for players without clubs. A large number of players out of contract on June 30th will have signed contracts with new clubs.

Players are allowed to talk and sign for new clubs from January, allowing a smooth transition at the end of June.

To keep the integrity of the current season and squads, it is impossible for games to take place after June 30th.

i originally thought this was true, but there has been talk of agreements being reached to move contract end/ start dates to July 31St

• Does anyone have the league table after our last game on the 29th February?

• Everyone is sort of on the right lines here. If a players contract expires on 30th June, they are entitled to an extra months payment from the ‘releasing’ club if they have not signed up with another club by 31st July.

If they have signed with someone else by 31st July, then they get no further payment from their old team. Presumably, clubs would ask players who are out of contract on 30th June to sign short term contracts of say one month, so that they can feature in play offs (assuming the play offs do indeed carry on post 30th June) but theoretically at least I can’t see anything to stop someone like Bayo featuring for us in a play off semi first leg held before 30th June but then switch clubs and play for the opposition against us in either the second leg or final if they are held post 30th June!!

• The transfer window hasn't reopened yet due to this whole mess has it?
    So that alone means you can't switch and play against your old team.

Possibly doesn't stop you signing to be on the other club books from July though.

• edited June 2020

Trying to find out how expanded play-offs would work under Tranmere's proposal, but they don't seem to have decided on a format - although I guess it's not theirs to decide.

(National League doesn't actually have an odd number of teams in the play-offs - they have six and use NFL format with two highest places getting byes.)

• Are we expecting Tuesday to merely be a vote, or to actually get the decision then?

• @Malone said:
    The transfer window hasn't reopened yet due to this whole mess has it?
    So that alone means you can't switch and play against your old team.

Possibly doesn't stop you signing to be on the other club books from July though.

I read or heard somewhere that the transfer window actually opens next week on 10th June!

• @Malone said:
    Are we expecting Tuesday to merely be a vote, or to actually get the decision then?

Does anyone expect anything from the EFL anymore?

• @Stewie63 said:
    Does anyone have the league table after our last game on the 29th February?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51548009

• edited June 2020

@Dickie said:

I read or heard somewhere that the transfer window actually opens next week on 10th June!

Is that when Darragh MacAnthony can sell his star striker for £20m!!

• Anyone else think that if we go up, we should put in a bid for Ivan Toney? Not because we think we'll get him but just to wind them up.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Anyone else think that if we go up, we should put in a bid for Ivan Toney? Not because we think we'll get him but just to wind them up.

I expect our media man will have some words of magic to wind them up.

Though if you play that game you have to then face getting plenty back if you get smashed by someone down the line - as in the Sunderland example.

• This is true, but Darius' words will ring true for evermore. This is my personal favourite photo of the season:

• Was a great moment, and made up for their late equaliser last season.

Feels like years ago now though

• People will mock us for being tinpot or small-time or whatever, but whatever happens with the end of this season, we'll always have the day we played Sunderland as equals and beat them fair and square.

• @Stewie63 said:
    Does anyone have the league table after our last game on the 29th February?

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-one/29-february-2020/

• EFL have started testing in League One - but only at four clubs. They're unnamed, but I think we can put 2 and 2 together...