Skip to content

PPG Applied in France

Comments

• edited May 2020

Quite refreshing to see someone at the EFL actually come out and say this:

Those words need to become actions, but is football finally waking up?

• My entry in the competition is to play five a side with 10 minutes each half. If you played at Wembley you could get through about 30 games per day!

• Here's mine

• How is Allsop going to do up his shoelaces @chairboyscentral?

• @mooneyman said:
    How is Allsop going to do up his shoelaces @chairboyscentral?

More to the point, how would he save anything?

• @mooneyman said:
    My entry in the competition is to play five a side with 10 minutes each half. If you played at Wembley you could get through about 30 games per day!

As long as we can have Chuck Moussadik in goal.

• Halves probably should be shortened as in stopping the clock when the ball goes out of play, but that's not what Taylor's getting at and does he seriously think you change the laws partway through a season?

• How about we send Gordon Taylor to Perth with most of the championship chairman. Rick Parrry talking a bit more sense today to parliament. Small issue of how many clubs were going to lose a fortune anyway if not promoted to the Prem.

• God, these people are in charge of the game at the highest level. Might as well just have the coin toss, best of three.

• I’m still pushing for the poetry solution

• An "interesting" (ok, allow it) twist is that a number of clubs, including Liverpool, want to stop the women's league due to safety concerns!

Different story when it's not threatening 100s of millions of dough and a first title in 30 years eh?

• Late contender accross the top of tomorrow's backpage, excuse the rag it tops.

• God, I hate The Sun. Make up any old shit, knowing most people can't or won't sue. Makes us look bad to anyone stupid enough to believe it.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    God, I hate The Sun. Make up any old shit, knowing most people can't or won't sue. Makes us look bad to anyone stupid enough to believe it.

Ridiculous! Are you really suggesting that a national newspaper just tells young reporters to just make things up to fill space? That would make it open to all sorts of questions about factual accuracy and bias across all of its reporting.

• @Wendoverman said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    God, I hate The Sun. Make up any old shit, knowing most people can't or won't sue. Makes us look bad to anyone stupid enough to believe it.

Ridiculous! Are you really suggesting that a national newspaper just tells young reporters to just make things up to fill space? That would make it open to all sorts of questions about factual accuracy and bias across all of its reporting.

Quite right, many print what they want for commercial and ownership reasons as much as to fill pages.

• edited May 2020

In all seriousness, I would be disappointed to see us take legal action if the EFL as a whole was voided for health & safety reasons

However, if the season is cancelled and points per game is applied, but the league loses a promotion spot, I would fully support a legal challenge if it wasn't financially crippling (likely on the back of Fulham doing the same!)

• Given that EFL rules explicitly say decision of the appeal tribunal is final and cannot be legally challenged, hard to see how any legal challenge could possibly be successful.
    Feels like baseless newspaper speculation bollox to me in general let alone suggesting we would lead it.

• @DevC said:
    Given that EFL rules explicitly say decision of the appeal tribunal is final and cannot be legally challenged, hard to see how any legal challenge could possibly be successful.
    Feels like baseless newspaper speculation bollox to me in general let alone suggesting we would lead it.

I completely agree on 2 of the main decisions: to void or cancel? and the method of deciding final standings which is the EFLs best method of representing "sporting merit"?

I disagree if the number of promotion spots is changed, there's no reason to change that.

• To be fair the article as written is probably factually correct.

If asked we are quite likely to “insist” (ie argue forcibly) for the table to be decided on a PPG basis. Similarly I would expect Oxford (currently 3rd) to insist on some other way.

And of course we “could” take legal action if the season was voided, in the same way we “could” merge with Oxford or we “could” decide to play American Football. We just won’t do any of those.

The headline is of course bollocks.

• Peterborough have already been fairly vocal (as they tend to be) about taking legal action if it doesn't go the way they want. I doubt it would go to court, I certainly don't think we would be first in the queue to go that way. Not sure there's any evidence you'd make much more money in the championship next year as things stand anyway.

• I hear we know a New Orleans law firm if it does kick off.

• The Sun's headline tomorrow?

'SUE TO SUE SIOUX SOUS-CHEF...SOON'

• @Username said:
    >

I disagree if the number of promotion spots is changed, there's no reason to change that.

But the point is that it is EFL management's decision to make and the only remedy under the rules is to appeal to a tribunal whose decision is final. Whether you agree with their judgement in these extraordinary times, I cant see a basis for legal action given the rules of the competition.

@StrongestTeam said:
    Peterborough have already been fairly vocal (as they tend to be) about taking legal action if it doesn't go the way they want. I doubt it would go to court, I certainly don't think we would be first in the queue to go that way. Not sure there's any evidence you'd make much more money in the championship next year as things stand anyway.

TV and premiership "solidarity" money alone is in excess of £10m

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Peterborough have already been fairly vocal (as they tend to be) about taking legal action if it doesn't go the way they want. I doubt it would go to court, I certainly don't think we would be first in the queue to go that way. Not sure there's any evidence you'd make much more money in the championship next year as things stand anyway.

No evidence? You get a huge wad extra just for being there!
    You're right on lack of any gate receipts and food though!

• We'd take more in but you'd have to up the wage bill and commit to do so for several years to get anyone to sign. Behind closed doors would deny us the increased gates you'd normally expect and piddle on momentum to some extent. Financially an unlikely wage cap coming into force just as we get promoted and some deflation of wages as clubs cut down on squads could be interesting.

Too early to know what the finances would look like longer term without knowing how long the lockdown was for and whether you could stay up and build, but yes you are right the income would increase which could be enough for some clubs to litigate if they thought they were done out of promotion unfairly. I wonder wether there is any provision in the rules for what to do if the season couldn't be completed or how a decision should be made, that detail is where the lawyers earn their money.

• "[The] detail is where the lawyers earn their money." That is the probable cause of the article. Sports journo sniffing for scraps learns that a club in our current position has been recently acquired by a high powered (enough to buy the club) lawyer and runs with it to the Sun and back.

That is of course what will probably decide the outcome of the EFL strategy; what will bring the least legal challenges out of this bad situation.

FWIW I hope we go up and stay up. I guess we all do. No matter either way really, but it would be another great chapter in the history of this wonderful club. Wycombe til I die.

COYB!

• @NorsQuarters said:
    "[The] detail is where the lawyers earn their money." That is the probable cause of the article. Sports journo sniffing for scraps learns that a club in our current position has been recently acquired by a high powered (enough to buy the club) lawyer and runs with it to the Sun and back.

That is of course what will probably decide the outcome of the EFL strategy; what will bring the least legal challenges out of this bad situation.

FWIW I hope we go up and stay up. I guess we all do. No matter either way really, but it would be another great chapter in the history of this wonderful club. Wycombe til I die.

COYB!

Yup, If it's called this week on PPG as some reports are suggesting let's not forget what an achievement it has been to be 3rd best over 30 odd games in this division amongst some famous names and big budgets. Suggestions in one report that as well as clubs who don't go up threatening legal action some could over being made to carry on when they don't want to.

• Once again, it is hard to see under legal rules how any legal action could succeed. Feels like lazy newspaper reporting rather than reality.

@StrongestTeam said:
    We'd take more in but you'd have to up the wage bill and commit to do so for several years to get anyone to sign. Behind closed doors would deny us the increased gates you'd normally expect and piddle on momentum to some extent. Financially an unlikely wage cap coming into force just as we get promoted and some deflation of wages as clubs cut down on squads could be interesting.

Too early to know what the finances would look like longer term without knowing how long the lockdown was for and whether you could stay up and build, but yes you are right the income would increase which could be enough for some clubs to litigate if they thought they were done out of promotion unfairly. I wonder wether there is any provision in the rules for what to do if the season couldn't be completed or how a decision should be made, that detail is where the lawyers earn their money.

It is entirely up to us how much of the very large TV money we would receive if we were promoted to Championship we would spend on new contracts and how much we just keep to fund ourselves through future years. Nothing in theory to stop us accepting that it would be very hard to stay in the Championship whatever we do, so keep the wagebill as it is, accept a few beatings and keep the money for the future.

We could gamble the lot and future viability of the club by increasing wage bill massively on long term contracts that we couldnt afford if we get relegated again.

My money would be on something prudent in the middle.

• litigation could delay resumption plans if that was the aim and would probably centre around wether any decision was made fairly rather than the specific decision.