Skip to content

What should happen to this season?

Comments

• Not unless the premier league fund all the other leagues completely

• @thedieharder said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52307147

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52316964

Dont know how either is going to work to be honest. Will the EFL follow the PL's proposals? If so it will surely be behind closed doors right?

The promote Leeds and West brom thing is inexplicable.
    They're 6-7 points clear of third which doesn't come close to be unassailable.
    Yet they'd pander to them, bottle relegating anyone and mess up numbers else where?
    Can't be a serious starter.

• Rick Parry of the EFL : "I cannot tell you today when football will resume, though whenever we do return, matches are likely to be played without crowds."

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2020/april/efls-open-letter-to-supporters/

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52326617

A 40 day window has been proposed with 9 games left in PL for all teams. Nothing proposed on EFL as there hasn't been a meeting yet. With my maths skills that's 1 game every 4.4 days right? How that's supposed to work? Injuries will be at a countless rate so that's surely going to be struck off. What if the EFL copied this idea? We had 12 games to complete before football got suspended so that means one game every 3.3 days which is basically impossible.

I do think resteictions will be eased by mid may but the latest they can resume the season is the 20th of May as that's 40 days before June which is considered as the 'must end' day due to contracts etc. I think it strengthens the case of not finishing the season entirely. I do think the playoffs look a more likely thing though for those teams already in it.

• 9 games in 40 days is not that hard
    Say Sun, sat, tues, sat, sat, tues, sat, fri, thurs.

Problem more not playing for two months and not having a preseason.

What happens if a squad player for team A catches the virus in week 2 though.

• How can you play football complying with the two metre social distancing requirement? Whilst some of the requirements will eventually be relaxed, I can't see this being the first. Am I missing something here?

• I suppose they're aiming to get everyone involved in each match tested before each match. Whether they've thought through the logistics and the cost of this is another matter. As usual though I suspect they're assuming that it'll be one rule for football and one rule for everyone else. But as we've already seen so often in this age of coronavirus, a plan that works on paper often runs into difficulties when delivery kicks in. Things generally stop running quite as smoothly as envisaged.

• @mooneyman said:
    How can you play football complying with the two metre social distancing requirement? Whilst some of the requirements will eventually be relaxed, I can't see this being the first. Am I missing something here?

Every player will have a huge hula hoop taped to them to keep everyone the righ distance apart.
    Bayo will be unstoppable with social distancing in place.

• @mooneyman said:
    How can you play football complying with the two metre social distancing requirement? Whilst some of the requirements will eventually be relaxed, I can't see this being the first. Am I missing something here?

Well spotted @mooneyman. The government said the 2 meter thing is unlikely to be the first restriction eased right so I would be with you on this.

• @DevC said:
    9 games in 40 days is not that hard
    Say Sun, sat, tues, sat, sat, tues, sat, fri, thurs.

Problem more not playing for two months and not having a preseason.

What happens if a squad player for team A catches the virus in week 2 though.

Maybe it's not impossible for the premier league but what about the efl if the idea was copied by the EFL? None of the clubs could really do that...

• edited April 2020

@mooneyman said:

That’ll be why the teams and players from all teams would need to be quarentined/isolated from the general population as i mentioned in a thread elsewhere.

You test and clear the players (management, support staff etc) of the virus going into quarantine and in theory they wouldn’t need the 2 meter rule amongst those within the same conditions.

• Season to resume as Zorb football

• They're making noises about a new season starting early Sep. That's the first time they've put to bed this vague notion to finish this season however far into the future.

However the smart money has to be on no further games this season and having to somehow declare positions.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@mooneyman said:

That’ll be why the teams and players from all teams would need to be quarentined/isolated from the general population as i mentioned in a thread elsewhere.

You test and clear the players (management, support staff etc) of the virus going into quarantine and in theory they wouldn’t need the 2 meter rule amongst those within the same conditions.

I am sure the players would be delighted to be isolated from their families/friends for 40 days, I assume holed up in a hotel somewhere!!!

• Numbers a bit crude but shows how many people might need to be involved, if you're adding hotel stays, and you'd probably need to if you want games accross the country several times a week you also need the hotels to be open first

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/4085774/premier-league-games-behind-closed-doors-here-how-many-people-would-have-to-be-present

• Given Rick Parry has written an open letter to us fans, here's an open reply from me. If he plans to play matches behind closed doors could he provide some answers to these questions?

:: how will the testing programme for players, other staff and broadcasters work? Are they looking to test each before each match, if so how many hours/days before? Who will pay - the league or the club?
    :: Given you can be asymptomatic but capable of spreading the disease two days before a positive test result how will they take that into account
    :: if anyone tests positive and they've had contact with other members of the squad in the recent past, will the whole squad be put into quarantine? If so what will happen to matches scheduled to be played during that two week period?
    :: where will the players / other staff be housed? Will they be allowed any interaction with their families while matches are being played in closed stadiums? Who will pay for any accommodation?
    :: what evidence do you have that I follow will be capable of streaming all matches live to a massively increased audience without collapsing? (Not just guarantees from the management, actual evidence.) What contingency plans do you have for if the service fails?
    :: what measures will you put in place to prevent fans assembling outside grounds clamouring to be let in? Who will pay for that?
    :: starting matches again means clubs taking all playing and many non playing staff out of furlough. Without matchday revenue (or season ticket sales) coming in other than the cost of Ifollow match subscriptions (one per household rather than one per individual, naturally) how are clubs expected to finance these salaries and associated costs?

And that's just from the top of my head as I wait in a queue to get into Sainsbury's. This has got disaster written all over it, unless properly planned. I can see players getting ill, matches postponed at short notice, civil disorder outside grounds, the ifollow platform collapsing under the strain and clubs going bankrupt paying out huge salaries with barely any revenue to make up for it. Tell me I'm wrong, Rick.

• Will they still have games at the original home ground, or will as per other stories all be camped round certain designated stadiums?

If not, then grounds where you can see in, such as ours and Northamptons certainly would risk super fans camping out on the hills.

• You can never accuse Aloysius of being an optimist, but I think he does make some reasonable points. Many of these issues (and others) were raised in the Sports Illustrated article I mentioned the other day.

• We’ll be fine as long as Red Kites arent carriers

• Is it even certain that next season can get going on time? As things are going that doesn't look at all definite. Will all the clubs likely to be involved still be going concerns?

• Ah, the uncertainty of it all @wingnut. Will some of us extreme Oldies ever attend a game again?

I’ve had my first look at the Gasroom this morning for about a week. 118 comments to read on the most active thread and most of them either over my head or so complex and/or politically polarised that I have wound up more confused than ever about, for example, the culpability of the current administration for failing to stockpile equipment (especially PPE and test kits), the specifications for which, and therefore cost justification, could not realistically have been anticipated.

Sorry, that was only intended to be a glancing blow but I got carried away with my own verbosity.

I did see my name mentioned (by me ole mate @Malone, I think) so I thought I’d better drop in and say ‘hello’. All the family are coping remarkably well so far. A couple of kindly neighbours have been shopping for me and mrs micra and, as a result, we have upgraded from my beloved ASDA to super Sainsbury’s. Can’t all be bad.

• @micra said:
    Ah, the uncertainty of it all @wingnut. Will some of us extreme Oldies ever attend a game again?

I’ve had my first look at the Gasroom this morning for about a week. 118 comments to read on the most active thread and most of them either over my head or so complex and/or politically polarised that I have wound up more confused than ever about, for example, the culpability of the current administration for failing to stockpile equipment (especially PPE and test kits), the specifications for which, and therefore cost justification, could not realistically have been anticipated.

Sorry, that was only intended to be a glancing blow but I got carried away with my own verbosity.

I did see my name mentioned (by me ole mate @Malone, I think) so I thought I’d better drop in and say ‘hello’. All the family are coping remarkably well so far. A couple of kindly neighbours have been shopping for me and mrs micra and, as a result, we have upgraded from my beloved ASDA to super Sainsbury’s. Can’t all be bad.

Welcome back. Good to hear.

• The Gasroom seems somewhat empty without your daily utterances @micra.

• @micra I'm glad to hear that you and Mrs M are ok. I am trundling down to tremendous Tesco these days.

• Without @micra around I’d does feel a bit like those days when your strict (but respected) teacher was off and you had a supply teacher in who would basically let you get away with anything.

• @micra - to add to your sea of notifications, good to see you back.
    You are right it was getting a bit too political, and as per all politics, people have their view and refuse to see the other side whatever any evidence.

• Welcome back @micra

• Glad to hear you’re well @micra

• Thanks guys. You’re too kind. Have just emerged from half an hour’s involuntary slumber and am toddling off to bed.