Skip to content

Match day thread: Tranmere

1235»

Comments

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@ChasHarps said:
    But does look outside the box.

I thought it was outside the area at the time but the ref was so far away he had to rely on a linesman who looked knackered in the warm up. He didn't put his flag across his chest to signal a penalty. Is that not a thing anymore?

The Tranmere keeper used his captain status to full effect yesterday. Timewasting Allsop would have been embarrassed by and how he got away without any card for that tackle is amazing. Did the penalty award change the punishment?

The linesman’s ‘flag across the chest’ signal for a penalty has been discontinued. Replaced by a wave of the flag and point in direction of the team who have committed the foul. It becomes the referee’s decision as to inside or outside the penalty area, although he could consult the assistant. Did he consult on Saturday, I’m not sure?

I also think when the ref sees a blatant foul like that on Samuel, he’s going to be minded to favour the attacker and give the penalty if it’s a marginal decision.

• He definitely went on the linesman's signal yesterday and, similarly, asked his view about whether it was inside or outside the area.

• Definitely asked the lino before pointing to the spot. To be honest it happened so fast and i was in that corner i would be hard pressed to say if it was in or out at the time. I assume he thought the goalie was in his box so must have been.

• I agree it was borderline, but if it had been deemed outside the box the goalie would have been sent off.

Although the lino looked rather unfit, at least he was very positive with his decisions with most being right which is a rarity these days

• I would agree @mooneyman except for cook taking darius out after the ball had gone right in front of him. Not much reaction.

• edited February 2020

Pre-game on Tranmere forum: 'Wycombe wanderers are a very poor team. all they have is a striker who must weigh about 50 stone and cannot run. '
    Post-game did anyone have 'Wycombe are nothing special and yet we lost...' on their bingo card?

• @Forest_Blue said:

It becomes the referee’s decision as to inside or outside the penalty area, although he could consult the assistant. Did he consult on Saturday, I’m not sure?

If an assistant flags for a foul near the edge of the penalty he will continue to move towards the corner flag to indicate he believes the incident took place inside the penalty area or move in the other direction if he thinks it was outside.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Pre-game on Tranmere forum: 'Wycombe wanderers are a very poor team. all they have is a striker who must weigh about 50 stone and cannot run. '
    Post-game did anyone have 'Wycombe are nothing special and yet we lost...' on their bingo card?

I had a quick look on their forum Saturday evening, and they didnt really mention us at all, they were all too busy moaning about their own team and manager

• I don't blame them, they were awful and have been pretty much all season.

• Yes @HolmerBlue most of it was directed at Mr Mellon and the keeper.

• Can I just add...the pre-match band were very good.

• @arnos_grove said:
    @BuckinghamBlue said:

It would be interesting to look back at people’s opinions on here when Bayo joined

I don’t think I posted on here about it but I thought it was the worst kind of showbiz, click-bait nonsense. Very, very wrong.

Did anyone get it right?

• @BuckinghamBlue said:

@arnos_grove said:
    @BuckinghamBlue said:

It would be interesting to look back at people’s opinions on here when Bayo joined

I don’t think I posted on here about it but I thought it was the worst kind of showbiz, click-bait nonsense. Very, very wrong.

Did anyone get it right?

Gaz

• @BuckinghamBlue said:

@arnos_grove said:
    @BuckinghamBlue said:

Did anyone get it right?

I think a lot of people welcomed it. I seem to recall thinking it was a very good signing although a worry we were depending on an an OAP troika of Hayes, Bayo and Thompson for goals ! :smiley: Then again, I always liked Matt Harrold. Could be I'm not aging well...

• Wasn't Andrew Howard responsible for transfers around this time? The Trust seemed to lose all direction when he sadly left.

• @Wendoverman said:

@BuckinghamBlue said:

@arnos_grove said:
    @BuckinghamBlue said:

Did anyone get it right?

I think a lot of people welcomed it. I seem to recall thinking it was a very good signing although a worry we were depending on an an OAP troika of Hayes, Bayo and Thompson for goals ! :smiley: Then again, I always liked Matt Harrold. Could be I'm not aging well...

How good were all 3 of them at White Hart Lane? Incredible really

• If only.myles weston could have run the line and pinged crosses like that onto ancient bonces every game that season.

• @Wendoverman said:
    If only.myles weston could have run the line and pinged crosses like that onto ancient bonces every game that season.

I liked Myles, never really got a run in the team. Think Gaz wanted him to stay but the M25 commute just got too much given family location.

• Proper winger.