Skip to content

Match day thread: Tranmere

Comments

• Now THAT we certainly agree on. The man has been a revelation to the side, and perfectly sets the tone of the dressing room.

• I think we can ALL agree on that (except perhaps the late lamented Richie)

• Mooneyman, you’ve just completed a perfect hat trick for me...Couhig deal confirmed, another good home win and you’ve finally agreed with something I’ve said!

• Bayo. Literally Wycombe's best ever signing IMO

• I wonder if Wimbledon have any regrets about letting him go, after seeing what he is capable of in League 1.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Bayo. Literally Wycombe's best ever signing IMO

No-one else comes close

• When he finally bids farewell to Wycombe, one of the stands should be renamed The Akinfenwa.

• If we go up, the Gasroom should be renamed the Gazroom.

• It would be interesting to look back at people’s opinions on here when Bayo joined

• I wasn't on here but was sceptical at the time - but that soon went out the window.

• I was spectacularly wrong about him.

• How on earth did their 'keeper not see red for this? Serious foul play all day long.

• But does look outside the box.

• @ChasHarps said:
    But does look outside the box.

Definitely, but that's a red anywhere on the pitch. Although as we saw with the Lo Celso incident yesterday, anything goes now...

• @ChasHarps said:

I thought it was outside the area at the time but the ref was so far away he had to rely on a linesman who looked knackered in the warm up. He didn't put his flag across his chest to signal a penalty. Is that not a thing anymore?

The Tranmere keeper used his captain status to full effect yesterday. Timewasting Allsop would have been embarrassed by and how he got away without any card for that tackle is amazing. Did the penalty award change the punishment?

• As we saw at Bolton last week, the ref is supposed to decide if the keeper was making a genuine attempt to win the ball. If that’s what he thinks then a penalty is sufficient punishment under the double jeapordy rule.
    Must admit, at the time I wasn’t sure if the foul took place inside the box and I’m still unsure.

• @BuckinghamBlue said:
    It would be interesting to look back at people’s opinions on here when Bayo joined

I was wholeheartedly against it and thought it was a ridiculous signing

• edited February 2020

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@ChasHarps said:

I thought it was outside the area at the time but the ref was so far away he had to rely on a linesman who looked knackered in the warm up. He didn't put his flag across his chest to signal a penalty. Is that not a thing anymore?

The Tranmere keeper used his captain status to full effect yesterday. Timewasting Allsop would have been embarrassed by and how he got away without any card for that tackle is amazing. Did the penalty award change the punishment?

He got booked, presumably for denial of a clear goal-scoring opportunity. With two covering defenders, I'd say that was debatable. Regardless, I don't see how that can be interpreted as a genuine attempt to win the ball - if that's an outfield player it's a red.

• @BuckinghamBlue said:

It would be interesting to look back at people’s opinions on here when Bayo joined

I don’t think I posted on here about it but I thought it was the worst kind of showbiz, click-bait nonsense. Very, very wrong.

• Me too. I thought it was a woeful signing using up money we didn’t have chasing social media engagement.

The football the previous season was tough to watch and I feared we’d go full John Beck with the Beast up front.

I should have listened to my Northampton friend who has told me Bayo was his all time greatest player and one of the best people in football.

• Bayo came just as Hayes lost his mojo so proved a brilliant signing. I think darius limping might have had something to do with the very late boot he got from beer-belly Cook early in the first half. For the record our 'fat' player scored at least. Conditions and opposition made things tricky so i was really pleased with the result AND the performance myself. They did not deserve a draw.

• @mooneyman said:
    When he finally bids farewell to Wycombe, one of the stands should be renamed The Akinfenwa.

The whole Frank Adams/Family stand should be named after him as it’s twice the size of the other stands.

• It speaks volumes about the maturity of the posters on the Gasroom compared to other forums that so many people are prepared to admit to getting something wrong.

• @glasshalffull said:
    It speaks volumes about the maturity of the posters on the Gasroom compared to other forums that so many people are prepared to admit to getting something wrong.

Indeed. I was sceptical, assuming it was just to sell shirts to kids. Saw him in a pre season game and thought he had a very deft and quick touch but assumed he wouldn’t be able to to keep up with play and so still be a marketing signing and not the lynchpin he has become, both on and off the field. At the Spurs cup game at half time a steward stopped me and said “How the hell do you defend against him, he wins every header and how quick are his feet!”

The day he leaves us will be a sad day indeed.

• I always enjoyed watching Akinfenwa play for other teams, so I was happy when he signed - but I never expected him to be our all-time top Football League goal scorer, and he brings so much more than that to the club too.

• I was very underwhelmed when he signed. Thought he might be a useful late substitute, but no more more than that. I felt he was well past his best.

A bit of a perhaps generational aside to the above, but as a fan, I absolutely love it when a player whom I thought was not good enough for us proves me completely and utterly wrong. But then my views would either be to myself, or shared with a few mates over beers. Maybe if I was sharing my thoughts on social media about how 'shit' a player was and happily abusing that player on the terraces, I'd become so entrenched in that view, I'd take less pleasure in being proved wrong.

• You're right @glasshalffull some balance is needed. I was cautiously positive, still feeling the shame of being pro Duberry at time of signing. Bayo is a Wycombe legend and one who epitomises the ethos of the current squad. He is as unique a footballer as you find, notwithstanding the other individuals who each have their story to tell.

Gareth has pulled this team together with limited budget and no signing shows the wisdom of his choices as much as Bayo's. Long may it continue under the Couhig's governance.

COYB!

• Every time Bayo scores, those "that's why Wimbledon got rid", "can't do league 1" lot must feel utterly ludicrous.
    But they won't admit it, like they won't admit Ainsworth has done an insane job.

There was one guy on FB, a very prominent poster who runs a business, and was constantly poo-pooing the 5 year plan, even though it actually succeeded and worked to plan. He'd never admit that he was wrong.

• I admit i thought his signing was a joke but am so happy he proved me wrong, he's a real asset to our club on and off the pitch and is a great mentor to our young players and a lovely man as well.

• I thought, at the time of his signing, he was the sort of novelty signing “little” wycombe needed to shine the media light on us and raise our profile.

I would say he absolutely did the latter but is and was in no way that novelty signing. He encapsulates everything that is great and good about this level of football and what can be achieved by hard work and dedication.