Skip to content

Match day thread: Bristol Rovers

Comments

• edited February 2020

Blackpool's goal took a deflection, nothing major as far as I could see - and the MK one wasn't nearly as bad when watched back. Allsop fumbled one early on yesterday and parried another one straight back into danger if I remember correctly. There's not a huge amount of difference in the kicking, for me - both are generally excellent in that respect - but command of the box remains a massive difference, and Rocky's lack of that put the defence on the back foot a couple of times yesterday, as it did in a number of games up to Stockdale's return.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Blackpool's goal took a deflection, nothing major as far as I could see - and the MK one wasn't nearly as bad when watched back. Allsop fumbled one early on yesterday and parried another one straight back into danger if I remember correctly. There's not a huge amount of difference in the kicking, for me - both are generally excellent in that respect - but command of the box remains a massive difference, and Rocky's lack of that put the defence on the back foot a couple of times yesterday, as it did in a number of games up to Stockdale's return.

I agree about the respective ability to control their areas but disagree about the MK goal. There was nothing unusual about the shot's trajectory. Stockdale just let it go under his body. For me, a clear, Sunday League-standard error.

• the one vs Blackpool very clearly took a deflection, though. He started one way, then the ball went the other.

• @HCblue said:

@chairboyscentral said:

I agree about the respective ability to control their areas but disagree about the MK goal. There was nothing unusual about the shot's trajectory. Stockdale just let it go under his body. For me, a clear, Sunday League-standard error.

I think it bounced awkardly. Should have done better given his quality but not a howler.

• Neither shot was exactly a top corner rocket, but we move on.

Rocky in goal midweek, and hope we can get Stockdale "match fit". For some reason I have visions of making him run loads of laps, but I'm sure there's more hi tech involved :)

• If we're counting up errors to see who is the better keeper - and I'm not convinced we are BTW - don't forget the shot that Stockdale parried straight back to an MK sticker to put in the net in the first half last week. Luckily the striker was a good 2yds offside so it was ruled out, but otherwise a obvious error.
    Here's another possibility. Perhaps Stockdale has been brought in to help Allsop learn how to be more commanding of the box, whilst also working on his own match fitness levels?

• Rocky has next year on his contract anyway, so he's in for the long haul.

• @Malone said:
    Rocky has next year on his contract anyway, so he's in for the long haul.

Has he? I had it in my head that this was the second of two years.

• Allsop is better at stopping the initial shot but seems to struggle to hold them. Yesterday he once again parried a shot he probably should have smothered.

• @HCblue said:

@Malone said:

Beg your pardon. Wikipedia and BBC both say three year contract.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    Allsop is better at stopping the initial shot but seems to struggle to hold them. Yesterday he once again parried a shot he probably should have smothered.

If you're referring to the one in the first half. It swirled around considerably according to my view not far off directly behind on the terrace.

• I thought Rocky had a good game yesterday. Could hear him from the stand communicating well with the defence and I don't think Stockdale would have stopped their goal either. Seems like perfectly good management to let both keepers know that they'll need to fight for that place.

• @Right_in_the_Middle I think a keeper of Stockdale's calibre would have expected to have saved the goal conceded against Blackpool and certainly the one at MK. And has been pointed out, he got away with another he should've done better with due to the scorer being offside.

To me it wouldn't have sent out a good message to the rest of the team if a new player kept out an existing player who's had a good season, despite making errors.

Just to be clear, in my opinion Stockdale is the better keeper and much more commanding of his area than Allsop. And in form Stockdale I'm sure would get the nod over Allsop, but he needs to earn his place in the team, just the same as everyone else.

• I agree @StrongestTeam - in any other area of the team, players come in and out based on form. For some reason it is taboo with goalkeepers, but if you have two playing at a fairly similar level, why not keep it competitive by basing it on form? As long as both players understand the concept, there should be no complaints.

• @HCblue said:

@HCblue said:

@Malone said:

Beg your pardon. Wikipedia and BBC both say three year contract.

At wycombe level the three year deals always stand out!

• @ChasHarps said:
    In the second half when Rovers put in that slow looping cross inside the 6 yard box. I couldnt believe Allsop remained rooted to his line. Hopefully Stockdale will get another chance soon, as Allsop doesn't inspire me with any confidence.

Agree. Certainly Allsops weakness..get Stockdale fitness up and he starts for me

• That shot he parried yesterday was swerving all over the place, and at a decent pace, was stood right behind it on the terrace,thought it was best he could do with that to be honest.

• Stockdale is by far the better keeper, its not even close.

I'd expect him to be back in on Tuesday.

• @eric_plant said:
    Stockdale is by far the better keeper, its not even close.

I'd expect him to be back in on Tuesday.

Possibly/ likely so. But he's not been in his first two games back. I thought it fair to give Ryan a game on Saturday for the reasons others have given.

• He was excellent against Blackpool. The confidence he inspired in the defence in front of him was clear for all to see.

Contrats that with the moments of panic we witnessed yesterday.

It just isn't close

• @eric_plant said:
    He was excellent against Blackpool. The confidence he inspired in the defence in front of him was clear for all to see.

Contrats that with the moments of panic we witnessed yesterday.

It just isn't close

And then he let in two soft goals in two games, at least one of which Ryan would likely have saved. I've nothing against him, thought he looked a fantastic keeper in his short stay last season and agree he is likely much the superior player. I was just saying that, taken as a whole, his performances over the two games he played were not an upgrade over what we had.

• He hasn't let in any soft goals as far as I can see

• Mind you, I thought Bloomfield had a torrid time yesterday and some people have said how brilliant he was so we all see games differently

• Well quite.

• Stockdale looks like he is carrying quite a bit of timber to me. Yes i would like Rocky to grab hold a bit more but not to blame for excellent goal yesterday. Its great to have two good keepers on the books for the run-in in my opinion.

• @eric_plant said:
    Mind you, I thought Bloomfield had a torrid time yesterday and some people have said how brilliant he was so we all see games differently

@chairboyscentral - when you get a sec it would be fascinating to see a with / without Blooms comparator like the excellent Fred one you did. I'm certain the difference won't be as vivid but for whether it's drive or pressing or direction we seem to be more effective when he plays - the flat MK performance being a case in point.

• edited February 2020

@EssexWanderer I can't take the credit for that - Duncan Alexander sent it to me, but I'll ask him for a Blooms one.

• @eric_plant said:
    He hasn't let in any soft goals as far as I can see

I'm all in favour of Stockdale being the no 1, he's a better keeper, but the 2nd at MK was definitely a mistake.

Hopefully being dropped will show him he's got to perform nearer the top of his game to keep the shirt once he's back in (hopefully Tuesday for me)

• Sorry if I've missed anything above but dont want to trawl through 57 unread messages. Before the season started/early in the season we were all posting on here saying how we had potentially the most lethal strike trio in the league. Isn't it funny how football goes that we have been denied that, either through poor form/players not living up to their name/injuries/rotation.

My point is, nothing is a given n football especially in this league. We should all be grateful for the job GA and the players have done. I'm so interested to see where the next 14 games takes us but I think we should be proud when you see teams like Ipswich faltering, and although we have too, we are still hanging in there somehow.