Skip to content

Match day thread: Bristol Rovers

Comments

• @Malone said:
    More importantly, with all due respect, let's hope Bayo's knock was minor and he's back for Tue.

When he went off, we couldn't hold it at all.

He had one of his better games today for sure

• Gareth said he's playing through a sore knee at the moment and the plan was to take him off anyway.

• @EssexWanderer said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    I thought Bloomfield had his game of the season today - and out of position as well. Won pretty much every one-one-one, put his body on the line as he always does and showed a bit of goal threat beyond actually scoring - which I think was of the best finishes by any Wycombe player this season, absolute pinpoint precision. Hopefully just a knock that forced him off and he's back on Tuesday night. Did so much that I forgot he only played one half.

Was wondering if he'd done a Bayo and nipped off at ht for his birthday party (anyone else but...)

Maybe he broke the headband taking it off to celebrate...

• I actually thought he was really struggling all through the first half, and was expecting him to be replaced by someone who could provide more athleticism. We all see games differently though eh?

Took his goal brilliantly though to be fair

• edited February 2020

Their gaffer wasn't happy with the ref and his handling of our alleged antics but does at least admit they didn't deserve anything from the game.

• Ref was terrible for both teams some really strange decisions and the.lino penalizing macca for shielding the ball in the.corner near the end TWICE was ridiculous

• edited February 2020

@Wendoverman said:
    Ref was terrible for both teams some really strange decisions and the.lino penalizing macca for shielding the ball in the.corner near the end TWICE was ridiculous

I was too far away but assumed that was what it was for. There was a lot of guess-work going on with 50-50s earlier in the game as well.

• The linesman on the Beechdean side was miles off the pace all game, not just at the end when he kept flagging against McCarthy.

Looked a blatant offside for Rovers' shot in the first half which rattled the underside of the bar. Even if he made the correct call, it was guess work as he was 15 years behind play.

• And they will never be sufficiently fit until they're full-time.

• Ohhh you need a strong referee....at Wycombe Wanderers!!

I love it when these two bit managers wheel such nonsense out.

It's Adams Park, not the San Siro.

• There is no such thing as a strong referee in League One anyway.

• "we had 3 men booked for dissent which to me shows you how inept the referee was"

What a comment

• Strange game today, but a very enjoyable one. We really struggled to contain Rovers in the 1st half, but whilst we were clinical with our chances and scored 3 good goals, they were wasteful with theirs.

2nd half early on was a similar story with Rovers missing good chances. They ran out of steam long before the end though and we took control and were very comfortable in the end.

Special mention to Alex Samuel, who at a time we were hugely under the cosh in the 2nd half, won a ball he had no right to win on the touchline, kept it in play and drove forward into their half before being brought down for a free kick. It relieved the pressure on us just when we needed it and Rovers were unable to gain the ascendancy again after that.

• I also thought Samuel had a terrific game

• @Malone said:
    Ohhh you need a strong referee....at Wycombe Wanderers!!

I love it when these two bit managers wheel such nonsense out.

It's Adams Park, not the San Siro.

39 points from 16 home games in spite of opposition managers and fans saying that we are so predictable in the way we play. How come they can’t devise a way to beat us then? W12 D3 L1, best home record in the division.

• And that akinfenwa hes like so fat and should not be playing.professional sport...oh.nine.minutes in. How dare he celebrate in front of people who said he was too fat.

• @eric_plant said:
    I also thought Samuel had a terrific game

'Terrific engine' isn't that what they used to say in the old days? He was running until the end.

• If garner had said with a bit more composure in front of goal and a bit of luck we would have won that game i would have more respect but they lost because we scored three goals and they only scored one not the ref - however terrible.

• edited February 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yesterday also saw exactly why Smyth is so special. He's one of, if not our only player, whose first thought is to run, drive and cause panic. We saw that with the last min pen v Rochdale, and he caused problems yesterday. If we could get the ball to him more often, then I'm certain he'd add more goals to his game - it'd be a shame to have him for the season, without making the most of him.

• @eric_plant said:
    "we had 3 men booked for dissent which to me shows you how inept the referee was"

What a comment

I'm also not so sure it's true that they had even one player booked for dissent as I recall the bookings during the game. There certainly weren't three out of four.

I actually had some sympathy for them during the first half as we seemed to get much the better of the referee's decisions, on the whole, with a good number of free kicks for falling over given our way. If Phillips's foul was a red card the other week, Thompson could have had a lifetime ban for the one that wasn't given y'day. (Not that it was certainly a pen, mind, but we've seen much less given for and against us this season.)

That sympathy evaporated at the final whistle, however, when none of the first three Bristol players to go to the ref after the game offered their hand to shake, instead preferring to take up discussion about events during the game. Poor show.

• I thought that was a solid win. We rode our luck somewhat in the first half, albeit aided by a dreadful linesman on the Beechdean side (their striker being about four yards offside before his shot hit the underside of the bar.) Samuel my MOM again. Completely agree with the ‘engine’ comment above - I do not know how he kept going right to the end. Thought we struggled when Blooms went off. Freeman had a very quiet game and was quite ineffective (& I am one of his biggest supporters.) Agree also re Smyth - his first instinct is always to run at defenders with pace. It might not always come off, but at least the intent is there. The frustrating thing is that Freeman is capable of doing the same as him, if not better. Thompson is clearly carrying an injury and not yet back to his best. Not surprising if he is playing in discomfort / pain. Thought the whole back four played brilliantly again yesterday - defence, rather than attack, has been the foundation of our success this season (GD +4 and in the top two ?.) Charles was immense again yesterday. When Abrahams came on towards the end, I thought we might be in trouble, but Charles’ reading of the game ensured that he was able to defeat him physically and mentally, nullifying Abraham’s threat from pace. How many games has Charles actually played in when we have lost?
    Still keeping going and still second. What a season. COYB.

• edited February 2020

Not sure I've seen it mentioned by anyone else yet so will do so myself: I thought the applause for the young lad who died (Ollie?), both before and during the game, was lovely and I wished to note in particular the generosity of spirit of the Bristol fans who rose to a man during the minute's applause in the game.

• The Rover’s fans were excellent in their support for the Darlington family.

• Damn autocorrect sticking an apostrophe in Rovers...

• @Lloyd2084 couldn’t agree more. I thought the Rovers fans were fantastic in that regard, responding immediately as soon as the applause started. Yes

• Agree re the Rovers fans, also re Smyth, I'm also a little worried were not using him as much as we could. I've mentioned a few times that I have quite a few Rangers supporting work colleagues, and they would really like him back with them.

• edited February 2020

I too thought the applause for the Darlington family was impeccable from the Rovers fans.
    Regarding the linesman, sorry, "referees assistant" running the line in front of the Beechdean, he was appalling! Definitely offside for the JCH run that ended with him hitting the underside of the bar. Also certain, Thompsons two foot challenge in front of their bench would have surely been a red any other time. The flagging for fouls against Macca were absurd. I felt he was unfit, overweight & too slow in keeping up with play. Am I alone in thinking there was a sneaking resemblance between that lino and our "pie maker of micro size crusties", Mr Kerridge?

• A few thoughts...

JJ was solid yesterday, my MOTM by a distance. That last ditch challenge in the box saved a certain goal and it’s just a shame he couldn’t tuck away the free kick to cap off a great performance.

I though Alex was brilliant and an absolute menace. He covered every blade and didn’t give up chasing down balls. Still heard a lot of criticism of him from individuals in the terrace (more on that later).

The minutes applause was impeccably observed by both sets of supporters, it was just a real shame that the away bench couldn’t stand up and applaud.

The referee and his bald assistant made one or two questionable decisions but I thought they were okay in compassion to some of the officials we have had lately.

The terrace was relatively quiet but responded when need be. I still don’t get some of our fans though. I heard small groups booing Blackman when he came out for the second half - I’m not saying cheer him and start singing his name but just a respectful applause is deserved? There was also the usual abuse from individuals around me. “All Stewart does is put the ball out for throws, he’s crap”.... really??

• Odd game, still nervous at 3-1 up as we seemed to be playing the game like an away fixture, sitting back letting them come on to us and hitting them on the counter. Also I have seen mention of the Beachdean Lino but I was in the FA and the Lino our side was equally off the pace. He missed three blatant off sides as was not up with the game and ,issued the ball going off but didn't flag as was not even looking in that direction. Saw the many bookings for dissent and those around me were equally baffled when the ref let some obvious things go on the pitch for both teams. Good to see all fans stand for the applause, credit to the BR fans on that one too. Darin's was speaking in the Vere after the game and what a top bloke he seems to be. Deserved mom as had a fantastic game, as did Alex and bloomers, spoke very eloquently especially when talking about the minutes applause and what's important in life is friends and loved ones. Top bloke.

Looking forward to Tuesday now....as long as AP is still there and hasn't been blown away....sure is windy out there!

COYB