Skip to content

Match day thread: Bristol Rovers

Comments

• Missed not issued. Darius not Darin's

• Funny how we see things differently isn't it.

The offside..i still agree although the footage is inconclusive due to the angle.

Thompson i didn't think was a pen or a red. He lunged in but didn't look close enough to a player to be "out of control".

Smyth i want to get but just don't. I love a tricky winger but he looks totally right footed so isn't really going to get down the touchline like an old fashioned winger. And seems to either lose it, go across pitch into loads of cover or be easily dealt with.

• May be just me but I thought Wheeler was man of the match by a country mile. It’s been a while since we had this sort of debate!

• Wheeler.is quietly effective and thus sometimes we forget hes there. A great signing.

• It’s actually such a joy to watch Wheeler play. A great asset to have.

• Wheeler is in the player of the season conversation for me.

• The funny thing being that noone would have had him in our starting eleven in that array of options at the start of the season!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I think Smyth would certainly benefit from being on his stronger foot.
    All about options though. Hopefully Fred gets a run out on Tuesday.

• How did the linesman running in front of the Beachdean miss that offside in the run up to the Rovers shot hitting the bar! incredible.

• My favourite moment was Smyth repeatedly running around Blackman like he was a maypole before a corner in the second half.

Half his height and absolutely tormenting him. Reminded me of a mouse and an elephant.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Wheeler's header off the line was as good as a goal

• He did look a long way offside, that said, play to the whistle boys! Didn't like seeing our lads standing and waiting for the flag to be raised!

Samuel also looked way offside when put through at the end of the 1st half. I though we had a decent penalty shout there as well, which would have enraged the Rovers players even further! Didn't look a good day for either linesmen.

• @Malone said:
    As for the game, not great fare outside of a quality move for our first goal and a strong 5mins where we put it out of sight.

They didn't offer much outside of their Aaron Lennon lookalike and seemed to get frustrated very quickly.

Hoped Fred might get a little run out but probably not much to gain and he can do that Tuesday instead.

They had 4 very good chances I thought..I was even concerned going into injury time they could Nick a goal and then really put us under the collar..Very good side I thought.

• Have we discussed Allsopp coming back in for Stockdale yet?

Bizarre decision IMO, and not the correct one. Hoping Stockdale is back between the sticks on Tuesday night

• I assume Allsopp was dropped because he made some mistakes. Similarly, Stockdale kicked poorly and made a howler at MK. Seemed reasonable to me to hold them both to the same standard and put Rocky back in.

• I thought Stocko might genuinely have needed a rest/a bit more time just to focus on his fitness. Allsop had me panicking a couple of times yesterday.

• edited February 2020

I thought Curtis was a bit lucky, could have been a pen early on and going in with 2 feet (right in front of the opposition dugout) is always a risky move.

So I understand Garner’s frustration on that one. I think everything else though is a case of sour grapes and choosing to remember certain things about the game and forgetting others, I.e. Samuel being dragged down in the 1st half and JCH being offside before hitting the bar.

The fact is, we took our chances, they didn’t, and that was the reason behind the defeat. Not the officiating.

• I’m holding out for Martin Taylor to make a comeback for us between the sticks, even with his fitness levels a little lower than in his prime.

• We were clinical yesterday, that was the difference.

On the two Thompson incidents, I agree with other comments that he was far enough away with his two footed lunge for it not to be dangerous. If their player was more willing to put himself in the firing line, I'm sure he would have gone though.

On the penalty incident, it looked like he lost his footing and slipped to me, and I thought a pen was going to be given so we might have got away with one there.

• Very interesting debate re the two goalies. Stockdale’s kicks are usually very accurate, whereas Allsop’s are very inconsistent. Stockdale is very confident at coming off his line to take the ball and Allsop is not. On the evidence so far (Stockdale having played a limited number of games for us) I would say that Allsop is the better shot stopper. If you took the positive qualities of both, you would have a Championship level keeper! Stockdale has been winding down his previous contract on Easy Street and needs to lose a ton of weight before he is match fit. Then we will see what he really has to offer.
    Very strong, positive man management from Gareth on this one - sending the right message to both of them and I commend him for doing so. In Gaz we trust.

• In the second half when Rovers put in that slow looping cross inside the 6 yard box. I couldnt believe Allsop remained rooted to his line. Hopefully Stockdale will get another chance soon, as Allsop doesn't inspire me with any confidence.

• Couldn't make it so an average game with a good result is perfect. Seems to be impossible to predict what might happen longer term or how good we actually are but we are still hanging around in the top so who knows.
    Not surprised at all to see Allsop recalled, Stockdale might be the best on paper at prime but he hasn't played in a while, Allsop had done alright before and Stockdale has let two easy ones through him already.
    Interesting Smyth chat, easy to argue him, Aarons and Freeman should have got 10-15 goals between them by now but the system is not really going to allow too many free roles and giving the ball away is a sin when everyone is working so hard, Wheeler isn't the same type but seems happier making a short pass or supporting the full back when needed.

• It thought Allsop for Stockdale was the correct call. If you're going to have genuine competition for places, then players need to know they will be held account (in terms of their place in the starting XI) if they don't perform. Stockdale has made 2 poor errors leading to goals in both matches he played, it's therefore reasonable that Allsop is given the chance to reclaim the jersey.

• @Wycombe85 and @StrongestTeam Re Stockdale's 2 mistakes which cost us goals - can you be more specific? Ta.

• @our_frank said:
    @Wycombe85 and @StrongestTeam Re Stockdale's 2 mistakes which cost us goals - can you be more specific? Ta.

And also how do you think Allsop did with the goal yesterday in comparison to those mistakes?

I think Ainsworth has created himself a problem with the decision yesterday. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

• Agree on the keeper debate.
    If Allsop hadn't come back in, he'd know the writing was on the wall for him.
    But he did come back in and did alright.

Let a shot in from outside the box without getting near it, but we'll put it down to a superb strike. But still has the tendency to palm shots right back into the danger area.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@our_frank said:
    @Wycombe85 and @StrongestTeam Re Stockdale's 2 mistakes which cost us goals - can you be more specific? Ta.

And also how do you think Allsop did with the goal yesterday in comparison to those mistakes?

I think Ainsworth has created himself a problem with the decision yesterday. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Wouldn't remotely blame Allsop for the goal yesterday. It was a great strike just inside the post. He made good ground across to it but couldn't get there.

The second goal against MK last week was a clear, and significant, error by Stockdale - eminently saveable and no mitigating features. I assume the other mistake being referred to was Blackpool's goal the previous Tuesday. It seemed to me from the terrace that the ball had moved around in the air on its way goalward. If so, that might excuse the flat-footed attempt to save it. If not, that might be the second error.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@our_frank said:

I thought Stockdale conceded two very simple efforts , one in each game, almost straight through his arms. I haven't seen yesterday's in any detail, I don't believe it's a major problem having competition between 2 decent keepers, they are both adults and if anything swapping Allsop back in shows the door isn't shut.