Skip to content

Match day thread: Blackpool

Comments

• @Wendoverman said:
    @HCblue just shows dunnit I thought he had a good game and having been criticised for his distribution made quite a few decent passes. We could have had four goals in the first fifty odd minutes but naturally we could not keep up the pace. Until they scored i thought we still looked comfortable.

It's possible I have a misty-eyed view of previous performances and there was certainly a considerable physical challenge tonight, but over the past four or five games, he has seemed weak in the challenge and much less than normally confident on the ball. You and I can both watch all his interventions next game closely and see how he fares.

By the by, I hope the Blackpool fans are managing to get home OK, especially those hoping to do so by train - I can't imagine they would have made it to London in time for the last one north.

• I think the comment about Stockdale's lack of match fitness was as a result of the kicks going straight into touch late on a d what I thought was a poor effort for their goal. That aside, his handling was assured and he looked in control. He's an excellent GK at this level.

• 50 pts, we are now safe

• Thank goodness! On to next season then.?

• Absolutely brilliant first half. Super link up play between Freeman, Macca and Wheeler especially. Looked to me like we had been working in training on creating those passing triangles to get in behind the full back. It worked a treat and we created lots of good openings. The best attacking performance we have put together in some time, with two goals from open play!

Samuel without question MOTM. Absolutely terrific performance, adding a goal and some nice touches to his always excellent hold up play.

I actually thought the back two both played well. Snuffed out everything on the half way line first half to keep us on the front foot. Some crucial blocks in the second as well.

I thought as the game became stretched we had too many players ahead of the ball when Blackpool took possession. At times at 2-1 we had Bayo, Samuel, Smyth, Thomo and Ofoborh out of the game because they were all pushed too far on. Really made it too easy for Blackpool to come at us late in the game, causing a very nervy final ten mins.

Special mention for all the Blackpool fans making that journey. Imagine coming all that way, the game being delayed over an hr (for very good reason), and then being two behind inside tens minutes!! Their side really didn't turn up till after half time. They looked capable in the end and might have taken a point if they hadn't started so woefully.

• That was a great win. Blackpool are a tall, strong, skillful team, and I have no idea why they are on such a bad run.

If Freeman has found his shooting boots, we are going to be a handful.

• Thought we did more than enough over the 90 mins to deserve all 3 points. I think our home form will at least get us into the playoffs.
    Get an away win at the “franchise” on sat and then another 2 x home games. Let’s start building a winning run again.

• Haha, I'm really enjoying how Blooms main input at the moment, is getting fouled or being fouled.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    Haha, I'm really enjoying how Blooms main input at the moment, is getting fouled or being fouled.

Always a vital part of his game - I'm not going to reach that pass so i will wait for a touch and go down - but in the first half he also made some really good passes and had some decent touches.

• If Samuel has gone down instead of going for the goal would it have been a red for the defender.

• @Wendoverman said:

@prufrock_91 said:
    Haha, I'm really enjoying how Blooms main input at the moment, is getting fouled or being fouled.

Always a vital part of his game - I'm not going to reach that pass so i will wait for a touch and go down - but in the first half he also made some really good passes and had some decent touches.

That he did, but sometimes it did seem he wasn't even trying to most quickly towards the ball, simply so he'd get fouled.

• As @oilysailor used to say before he became too famous to post with us commoners on the gasroom.."2-0 is a dangerous lead."

Although that might have been on the dog walkers forum

• @Glenactico said:
    Absolutely brilliant first half. Super link up play between Freeman, Macca and Wheeler especially. Looked to me like we had been working in training on creating those passing triangles to get in behind the full back. It worked a treat and we created lots of good openings. The best attacking performance we have put together in some time, with two goals from open play!

Samuel without question MOTM. Absolutely terrific performance, adding a goal and some nice touches to his always excellent hold up play.

I actually thought the back two both played well. Snuffed out everything on the half way line first half to keep us on the front foot. Some crucial blocks in the second as well.

I thought as the game became stretched we had too many players ahead of the ball when Blackpool took possession. At times at 2-1 we had Bayo, Samuel, Smyth, Thomo and Ofoborh out of the game because they were all pushed too far on. Really made it too easy for Blackpool to come at us late in the game, causing a very nervy final ten mins.

Special mention for all the Blackpool fans making that journey. Imagine coming all that way, the game being delayed over an hr (for very good reason), and then being two behind inside tens minutes!! Their side really didn't turn up till after half time. They looked capable in the end and might have taken a point if they hadn't started so woefully.

• Excellent summing up of the night.

• @HCblue said:
    First half: we were great and they were cack.

Last thirty minutes: opposite.

In the end, glad of the points, happy to have enjoyed a rare footballing treat of a first half and relieved we didn't lose the win, as seemed eminently possible for the last fifteen minutes.

Say it as a big fan of his: something seems very not right with Stewart. He is weak in the air, lacking in confidence on the ball and hesitant in positioning and challenges. I hope he is OK.

I thought he just came up against two guys bigger than him..and sometimes when that happens you simply lose out. He can usually dominate opponents but not tonight.

Since someone pointed out his booting it tendency i can only see him as a booter now. I used to think he was a bit more of a passer.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Interesting to hear a goalkeeper described as lacking match fitness. I thought he was absolutely fine!

He looked wrecked when he ambled over to that free-kick about twenty metres away. The ref quite harshly i thought , booked him without any customary warning.

• @Proactive said:
    Thought we did more than enough over the 90 mins to deserve all 3 points. I think our home form will at least get us into the playoffs.
    Get an away win at the “franchise” on sat and then another 2 x home games. Let’s start building a winning run again.

Let's hope so. We need more away as after the next three we end on 5 homes and 8 aways.

I heard some fan upon leaving the ground say we hadn't scored away since Tranmere. I'll have to check if that's actually true as that game seems yonks away.

• @prufrock_91 said:

What's the difference between those?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • First half an hour was as good as I've seen us all season and clearly the team was selected and set up to execute that style of play.
    Blackpool changes, tiredness and a bit of panic all combined to make it a different game second half but the CBs both very resilient.
    Hoping we leave the Xmas run truly behind us now, with the upcoming opponents I think we can.
    Going to be an unexpectedly exciting end to the season!

• The food thread is probably buried on page three or somewhere so ill ask here..

Was the vegan van not there last night? Or had it sold out before i got there 735 ish?

There was some meat grill and some little van knocking out burgers etc.

Settled for £2 chips in side.
    Enjoyed them, but there were about 10 in the box!

• See Lindy Lou thread below @Malone

• Due to work commitments It is hard for me to attend any games or even pay for the Tuesday night matches on ifollow, however last nights unfortunate events meant I was able to watch the game on ifollow from the start.
    Gareth Ainsworth has done and continues to do a fantastic job with such a limited budget but I have to say I am not keen on his brand of football despite the results he continually gets.
    I felt that last night we started the game by playing the long ball, not pretty to watch but it was effective against a Blackpool team that looked like a team of strangers. I couldn't believe it when we raced into a two goal lead, both sides were pinging long balls at each other, ours were connecting and theirs were often misplaced. There wasn't the fluid passing football that I like to watch but then again we are not Barcelona and to be fair that pitch is looking very cut up which also surprises me considering the lack of matches played on it recently.
    As the first half wore on it seemed to me that the Wycombe players were too rushed in their play, whenever a decent opportunity arose we rushed it and would lose possession in promising positions and then Blackpool would invariably then give the ball straight back to us.
    The second half started the same with us carving out decent chances and then snatching at them, as the second half wore on Madine looked a real threat i thought and his snap-shot half volley was a stunning effort, Blackpool continued to press and they got a goal, somewhat fortuitously in my opinion and after that Wycombe seemed to panic in defence, lumping balls away instead calming the play down but i honestly didn't feel like Blackpool would get a second to be honest.
    All in all a good win but I can see from this display why we have been undone by the top teams in this division, this is just my thoughts on the game since It is hard for me to get to any games.

• Ahh should've said fouling or being fouled

• Ta @Trouser_McTrouserson . That explains why her van wasn't there and perhaps why we had our own greasy food van. But as a one post thread rather than the larger thread on food from a while ago i probs won't add there.

But was there a vegan one there?

• @fedup1980. If you think that first half was long ball, you probably won't like other games. As that was arguably our finest display of passing for months.

• @Malone agreed but then i did say i am not a fan of Ainsworth's style of play, it gets results but it certainly doesn't inspire me to book time off work to attend more games that's for sure.

• I've already mentioned Mascoll's performance, but there was one thing that really stood out - while under the cosh, every time our defenders hoofed the ball up the other end it was coming straight back at us, at one point Mascoll intercepted, and with everyone bar Bayo behind him chose not to hoof it up the other end, but instead to gently chip it over the Blackpool left back and try to chase it around him. It went out for a Blackpool throw, but it gave us time to regroup and get back in shape at a point in the game where we weren't finding a chance to do that. Calm and intelligent play under huge pressure.

• @fedup1980 glad I was there as i thought the first half was flowing no real stoppages and we the chance to.be 3 up.before the break. I.must have had my pink glasses on rather than three camera HD! ?? for all tne worries beforehand i thought the ref had a good game.

• Agree about mascoll he did not look out of place or off the pace for his lack of game time.