Skip to content

Stockdale on his way back ?

Comments

• I am actually sick of possession football anyway. I would rather watch a Liverpool wingback knock it long onto the boot of Mane, then watch the 'Death By Thousand Paper Cuts' that is Man City.

If we hoof it long to Bayo, who flicks it to Wheeler, who puts it in the net...I am entertained.

• @HCblue said:

@glasshalffull said:
    There’s so much crap talked about ‘good’ football. It’s a results driven sport so good football is winning football.
    Who is more likely to keep his job, the manager whose team play ‘good’ football but loses more games than he wins, or the manager whose team play ‘ugly’ football (whatever that means) but wins more games than he loses?

Says you.

Do you honestly believe that style of play rather than poor results is a major factor in managers getting sacked?

• @Shev said:
    I am actually sick of possession football anyway. I would rather watch a Liverpool wingback knock it long onto the boot of Mane, then watch the 'Death By Thousand Paper Cuts' that is Man City.

If we hoof it long to Bayo, who flicks it to Wheeler, who puts it in the net...I am entertained.

I take your point but that's not a like-for-like comparison. It's what it's like to watch when a goal is not being scored that is, I think, effectively the subject of the conversation. Everyone likes seeing goals scored and no fan of their team is especially fussed how they go in so long as they do (though some live longer in the memory and style of play is generally a factor in that). But there are separate aesthetic considerations to be made about what it's like to watch when they aren't going in.

• In some cases, Sam Allaydice.

• @ChasHarps said:
    In some cases, Sam Allaydice.

Thought you were attempting some sort of pun with that spelling!

• @glasshalffull being called clueless is a bit more than disagreeing with me its insulting.....

• One of the joys of football is there are different ways to play the game. Long ball (the long pass as Graham Taylor used to call it) or the possession game that Rochdale tried to play. I was watching Liverpool play this week and the game was all based on possession, reasoning that if your opponents don’t have the ball they can’t score. That works with superb quality, well drilled, very fit players playing on a bowling green pitch. Now try that at Adams Park which is looking quite cut up at the moment and assess the quality of league one players...given that combination would it be the right decision to play that game? This is no insult to league one players, they are incredible...they were the best in their schools, their districts and their county teams...but the top players are something else in terms of ball control, fitness and their ability to work the ball in tight areas. And their pitches are incredible...it’s a different game.

This is so true.

• @bigred87 said:
    @glasshalffull being called clueless is a bit more than disagreeing with me its insulting.....

I agree that the tone of debate can occasionally get out of hand.

• edited January 2020

@glasshalffull said:

@HCblue said:

@glasshalffull said:
    There’s so much crap talked about ‘good’ football. It’s a results driven sport so good football is winning football.
    Who is more likely to keep his job, the manager whose team play ‘good’ football but loses more games than he wins, or the manager whose team play ‘ugly’ football (whatever that means) but wins more games than he loses?

Says you.

Do you honestly believe that style of play rather than poor results is a major factor in managers getting sacked?

Managers of unsuccessful teams tend to be sacked. Managers of successful teams don't. Style doesn't generally come into it, though it might be a consideration if things aren't going well. The conversation is about what people enjoy watching.

• edited January 2020

I'd rather watch us play attractive football, but no one would rather watch that if it came at the expense of success.

• @HCblue said:

I take your point but that's not a like-for-like comparison. It's what it's like to watch when a goal is not being scored that is, I think, effectively the subject of the conversation. Everyone likes seeing goals scored and no fan of their team is especially fussed how they go in so long as they do (though some live longer in the memory and style of play is generally a factor in that). But there are separate aesthetic considerations to be made about what it's like to watch when they aren't going in.

Fair point - I guess I am just saying I don't find long ball play unattractive in and of itself. If we get a freekick around the halfway line, I am excited about it being launched in the box, as opposed to it being taken with a more elegant three yard sideways pass.

An Arsenal supporting friend of mine came to Adams Park, and stated that what he was was long balls with purpose - a ball would be launched, but onto the head of Bayo, or into the stride of Harriman or PCH (at the time).

I should hasten to add that not all "possession football" is created equal. Coventry were more pleasing on the eye than Rochdale, not just because they are a better side, but because their passing seemed to have much more forward intent and purpose.

• @Shev said:

@HCblue said:

Fair point - I guess I am just saying I don't find long ball play unattractive in and of itself. If we get a freekick around the halfway line, I am excited about it being launched in the box, as opposed to it being taken with a more elegant three yard sideways pass.

An Arsenal supporting friend of mine came to Adams Park, and stated that what he was was long balls with purpose - a ball would be launched, but onto the head of Bayo, or into the stride of Harriman or PCH (at the time).

I should hasten to add that not all "possession football" is created equal. Coventry were more pleasing on the eye than Rochdale, not just because they are a better side, but because their passing seemed to have much more forward intent and purpose.

Purposeful, skilful execution is always pleasing, isn't it, regardless of style?

• @bigred87 said:
    @glasshalffull being called clueless is a bit more than disagreeing with me its insulting.....

I wouldn't worry. Sounds like @eric_plant was in the doghouse at home and decided to take it out on a few gasroom members. He tried to have a go at me by imagining something that he thought I said in my last post. Let's move on.

• edited January 2020

@thecatwwfc said:

@bigred87 said:

I wouldn't worry. Sounds like @eric_plant was in the doghouse at home and decided to take it out on a few gasroom members. He tried to have a go at me by imagining something that he thought I said in my last post. Let's move on.

You learn who you can have a reasonable discussion with and who you can't.
    Fair play to Glassfull, who has exceptional patience with those who insist on getting stuck into him for no reason than who he is.

• @bigred87 said:
    Is Stewart a great passer @eric_plant? He hits long lofted balls into an area to be won....

I thought you were at the first game of the season against Bolton. Sublime skill and a perfect pass for the first goal from Stewart. So he does have the ability (at least sometimes).

On the more general point it is very easy to play neat possession football at the back at our level (as per Rochdale and Doncaster) which looks pretty, but this is a factor of having time on the ball to do so. As soon as the game moves to more dangerous areas teams press up giving players less time on the ball and more inclined to make mistakes the less technically gifted you are.

Against good, hard-working and organised teams, sides playing that style of football will find it difficult to be successful unless they are playing at their very best.

• @Tom_Hancock said:
    I'd rather watch us play attractive football, but no one would rather watch that if it came at the expense of success.

You’ve summed it up perfectly in one sentence.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@bigred87 said:

Something I "thought" you said? No, something you actually said. Namely that Allsopp would start ahead of Stockdale on Tuesday. Which is laughable really.

And saying Stewart can't pass is not a matter of opinion. It's talking shit

• Something I "thought" you said? No, something you actually said. Namely that Allsopp would start ahead of Stockdale on Tuesday. Which is laughable really.

I realise that Stockdale is better than Allsop, it doesn't take someone with your supreme football knowledge to realise that. IN MY OPINION, Allsop has been loyal and for the majority of the season has actually been one of our better performers, much to everyone's surprise.

I just think it would be a bit harsh to feed him to the lions without giving him enough rope to hang himself (excuse that term, I don't particularly like it - for want of a better expression).

If he drops Allsop now, I dont think there will be any way back for him. He's fought his way back into the side once, I just think it would be a bit brutal to f**k him off now. I guess that's football though.

• In what way is saying Stewart can't pass talking shit @eric_plant? You silly arrogant prick like i pointed out earlier he plays long lofted passes into an area for players to win that's not an amazing thing every professional can do that..... go and shag your dog and cheer up you miserable cunt.

• bigred87, that’s the most disgraceful post I’ve ever seen on the Gasroom and to think you were complaining about being ‘shot down’. I hope you read it back and feel ashamed of yourself. You should apologise.

• bigred87: "really is pathetic on here when you get shot down for posting an opinion"

also bigred87: "go and shag your dog and cheer up you miserable cunt."

everyone else: "LOL"

In answer to your question "In what way is saying Stewart can't pass talking shit?", the way that anyone with the slightest clue about what they're talking about knows that it just isn't true. It's one of his strengths, he's a brilliant distributor of the ball

• Eric, I wouldn’t even try to converse sensibly with someone who can write a post like that.

• Your an arrogant prick @eric_plant .... and no i wont be apologising for being told im talking shit @glasshalffull

• And again there @eric_plant 'slightest clue'...... ive been watching wycombe since 95 and arsenal since early 2000s...... stewart isn't a great distributor of the ball he hits long balls into an area. I witnessed him last week hit the ball out of play 3times against Rochdale.

• @bigred87 said:
    Your an arrogant prick @eric_plant .... and no i wont be apologising for being told im talking shit @glasshalffull

Ah man, I defended you and now I take it back.

• Without wishing to join the Plant/Bigred slagoff fest, Ive never before, ever heard anyone say Stewart is a 'brilliant distributor of the ball'!!
    Its like saying Glen Hoddle was a ferocious in the tackle, or Brian Flynn dangerous in the air !!

• @bigred87 said:
    Your an arrogant prick @eric_plant .... and no i wont be apologising for being told im talking shit @glasshalffull

Best way to deal with people you can't stand is to simply move on by / put them on ignore.
    Posting like you did just leaves you looking the bad guy i'm afraid.

• Id like to apologise for calling you a cunt @eric_plant...... but you shouldn't tell people there clueless and talking shit. Apologises to fellow gasroomers for my foul language.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Without wishing to join the Plant/Bigred slagoff fest, Ive never before, ever heard anyone say Stewart is a 'brilliant distributor of the ball'!!
    Its like saying Glen Hoddle was a ferocious in the tackle, or Brian Flynn dangerous in the air !!

When he was next to Pierre he looked the better passer. But next to Charles, less so.

• @bigred87 said:
    Id like to apologise for calling you a c@eric_plant...... but you shouldn't tell people there clueless and talking shit. Apologises to fellow gasroomers for my foul language.

Take it from me. Putting @eric_plant on ignore has been the best and most calming click I've ever made in the Gasroom