Skip to content

Stockdale on his way back ?

Comments

• @Malone said:
    I like the way he talks about "Rocky" and saying he has the shirt, and if he plays well he himself won't get in.

Right attitude, rather than presuming he'll cruise in.

Yup.

• I can only imagine that Allsop will be given another game, one more mistake and there is a ready made replacement waiting in the wings. He is obviously going through a bad patch in terms of confidence and that rubs off so much on the back 4.

I cant help but think we need a striker...but just dont know where that can possibly come from? I dont see enough goals in this team. Come on Fred...get back!!

• But if Gareth wants to play our best team on Tuesday, then Stockdale will be between the sticks.

• Off the top of my head allsopp has made one mistake (Rochdale) id be more concerned with the guys in front of him, Stewart is a donkey with his distribution he hits it long every time, im sure Ainsworth instructs them on that.... we were all happy when we were winning obviously but our current form it a shambles compared to the first half of the season and the football is awful as it always has been under GA.... no one will complain when we are flying at the top ( ME INCLUDED) but we are now famous for being anti football and tbh id rather watch Rochdale every week they played lovely on the floor football it isnt hard is it!! But hey if we go up playing shit ball will i complain? Nope..... how shallow i am.......

• edited January 2020

The one v Rochdale wasn't even much of a mistake, but he almost gifted them one after that by fumbling at Calvin Andrew's feet. The fourth at Peterborough he parried straight back out to their player, and might he have done better with the free-kick at Sunderland? I've seen Oxford's goal mentioned too, but it was probably wetter than it looked from the stands/stream that day. There was the odd 'ooh er' moment at Pompey, but his lack of command in general is one thing that I don't think is ever going to massively improve - although it looked like he was making improvements early this season. I wouldn't say he's made any howlers, but there have been several smaller mistakes which could prove decisive in tighter games. I didn't have it down as an immediate priority - I think he's had a very good season in general, even if he's had little to do for large parts of it thanks to the back four in front of him - but maybe the general defensive crumbling of late has made Gaz's mind up for him.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    I can only imagine that Allsop will be given another game, one more mistake and there is a ready made replacement waiting in the wings. He is obviously going through a bad patch in terms of confidence and that rubs off so much on the back 4.

I cant help but think we need a striker...but just dont know where that can possibly come from? I dont see enough goals in this team. Come on Fred...get back!!

Why on earth would Stockdale not play? He is in an entirely different league to Allsopp

• @bigred87 said:
    Off the top of my head allsopp has made one mistake (Rochdale) id be more concerned with the guys in front of him, Stewart is a donkey with his distribution he hits it long every time, im sure Ainsworth instructs them on that.... we were all happy when we were winning obviously but our current form it a shambles compared to the first half of the season and the football is awful as it always has been under GA.... no one will complain when we are flying at the top ( ME INCLUDED) but we are now famous for being anti football and tbh id rather watch Rochdale every week they played lovely on the floor football it isnt hard is it!! But hey if we go up playing shit ball will i complain? Nope..... how shallow i am.......

Anthony Stewart is a superb passer of the ball. You're clueless pal.

We beat Rochdale by the way. Deservedly too

• edited January 2020

Either way, it's not a big confidence boost for Ryan. I guess this is the harsh reality of life as a professional footballer. There's always the possibility that someone better might come into your club unless you're a De Gea type who's at the very top of the game.

To be clear, I think he's had a decent season and made some improvement on last season, which is all one can reasonably ask. I've no complaint to make about his performance or effort.

• @bigred87 said:
    Off the top of my head allsopp has made one mistake (Rochdale) id be more concerned with the guys in front of him, Stewart is a donkey with his distribution he hits it long every time, im sure Ainsworth instructs them on that.... we were all happy when we were winning obviously but our current form it a shambles compared to the first half of the season and the football is awful as it always has been under GA.... no one will complain when we are flying at the top ( ME INCLUDED) but we are now famous for being anti football and tbh id rather watch Rochdale every week they played lovely on the floor football it isnt hard is it!! But hey if we go up playing shit ball will i complain? Nope..... how shallow i am.......

WHAT!!! Anthony Stewart a donkey! Do you actually watch the team play?.

• If Big Red would rather watch Rochdale every week he must be a masochist. They are 18th in the table, we are 2nd. They’ve won 3 home games, we’ve won 10. They’ve scored 12 goals at home, we’ve scored 26.
    To each his own, but I know where I’d rather be on a Saturday afternoon and it wouldn’t be Spotland.

• I was referring to the style of football........

• You have to accept the worse results as the price for that style of football though, otherwise it's a pretty pointless thing to say.

• @bigred87 said:
    I was referring to the style of football........

So, you don’t mind losing most weeks as long as the ball is on the ground in your own half? Like I said, to each his own but I think most fans would soon get fed up with that ‘style’ of football.

• edited January 2020

@bigred87 said:
    I was referring to the style of football........

You're not back on the windup posting are you? Thought you'd stopped doing that.
    As preferring to watch a team who pass between their back line pointlessly and are 18th is pretty bizarre.

• They got in behind us a few times there was a few balls flashed across the 6 yard line..... again ill reiterate it 'yes they played attractive football,we play a style that's not good on the eye' it clearly works for us and there style clearly hasn't worked for them..... my point was id rather watch attractive football over hoofball if i was given the choice between the two at wycombe. I didn't really make that clear in original posts...

• All depends what you class as attractive football. We’ve scored more than twice as many goals at home than Rochdale and goals are surely what fans want to see more than anything else.

• Ill get my coat......

• I fail to see what is so "attractive" about passing it out from your keeper and have the likes of Josh Parker take the ball off you on the edge of your area all game

• @bigred87 said:
    They got in behind us a few times there was a few balls flashed across the 6 yard line..... again ill reiterate it 'yes they played attractive football,we play a style that's not good on the eye' it clearly works for us and there style clearly hasn't worked for them..... my point was id rather watch attractive football over hoofball if i was given the choice between the two at wycombe. I didn't really make that clear in original posts...

Well yes i think we'd all prefer great football over crap football ?

• @eric_plant said:

>

Why on earth would Stockdale not play? He is in an entirely different league to Allsopp

I don't recall saying that he wasn't....

• Do wycombe play good football @Malone?

• Aesthetically pleasing football ≠ good football, as evidenced by Rochdale. 'Ugly' football ≠ bad football, as evidenced by Wycombe.

• @bigred87 said:
    Do wycombe play good football @Malone?

Effective football is what matters.
    Until Oxford away - all good.
    Since then - bit ropey.

• Is Stewart a great passer @eric_plant? He hits long lofted balls into an area to be won.... that's not a great passer of the ball any footballer should be able to do that. He's a great defender for sure but his composure is questionable and was against Rochdale when he sliced the ball into the Woodlands on 3 occasions.... really is pathetic on here when you get shot down for posting an opinion 'Pal'

• @bigred87 said:
    Is Stewart a great passer @eric_plant? He hits long lofted balls into an area to be won.... that's not a great passer of the ball any footballer should be able to do that. He's a great defender for sure but his composure is questionable and was against Rochdale when he sliced the ball into the Woodlands on 3 occasions.... really is pathetic on here when you get shot down for posting an opinion 'Pal'

It's all relative in football.
    Compared to say Pierre, he's a good passer.
    Compared to others, he's not.

Tactics are one thing. At times in the past it's looked pretty clear that our centre backs have been instructed to knock it after at most 1 touch. It's not quite that industrial now though, but at the lower levels, it makes sense not to risk your centre backs dallying on it too much.

• There’s so much crap talked about ‘good’ football. It’s a results driven sport so good football is winning football.
    Who is more likely to keep his job, the manager whose team play ‘good’ football but loses more games than he wins, or the manager whose team play ‘ugly’ football (whatever that means) but wins more games than he loses?

• @glasshalffull said:
    There’s so much crap talked about ‘good’ football. It’s a results driven sport so good football is winning football.
    Who is more likely to keep his job, the manager whose team play ‘good’ football but loses more games than he wins, or the manager whose team play ‘ugly’ football (whatever that means) but wins more games than he loses?

Says you.

• @bigred87 said:
    Is Stewart a great passer @eric_plant? He hits long lofted balls into an area to be won.... that's not a great passer of the ball any footballer should be able to do that. He's a great defender for sure but his composure is questionable and was against Rochdale when he sliced the ball into the Woodlands on 3 occasions.... really is pathetic on here when you get shot down for posting an opinion 'Pal'

Why do you say that you’ve been ‘shot down’? Aren’t people allowed to disagree with you?

• One of the joys of football is there are different ways to play the game. Long ball (the long pass as Graham Taylor used to call it) or the possession game that Rochdale tried to play. I was watching Liverpool play this week and the game was all based on possession, reasoning that if your opponents don’t have the ball they can’t score. That works with superb quality, well drilled, very fit players playing on a bowling green pitch. Now try that at Adams Park which is looking quite cut up at the moment and assess the quality of league one players...given that combination would it be the right decision to play that game? This is no insult to league one players, they are incredible...they were the best in their schools, their districts and their county teams...but the top players are something else in terms of ball control, fitness and their ability to work the ball in tight areas. And their pitches are incredible...it’s a different game.