Skip to content

January business?

Comments

• Josh Parker three goals at the posh please! Will that do?

• I’m not sure the reverse psychology is infallible.

I thought once I might have had the gift back in the day when a friend who’d been out of the country for ages came to see us v Bury (this was the 06:07 season) and wanted to have the lowdown on the players.

I mentioned that we had this Jermaine Easter guy up front who wasn’t all that - who then went on to score a hat trick, and obviously generally went on to be fairly prolific for us, even if “it all ended badly”.

But any further attempts to reverse jinx WW strikers have generally failed, sadly.

• @PBo said:
    I’m not sure the reverse psychology is infallible.

I thought once I might have had the gift back in the day when a friend who’d been out of the country for ages came to see us v Bury (this was the 06:07 season) and wanted to have the lowdown on the players.

I mentioned that we had this Jermaine Easter guy up front who wasn’t all that - who then went on to score a hat trick, and obviously generally went on to be fairly prolific for us, even if “it all ended badly”.

But any further attempts to reverse jinx WW strikers have generally failed, sadly.

I've always tried to take reverse credit for Easter @PBo , at the same game he missed a sitter early after showing very little in the prior games. I shouted in his direction that he was useless and they should just take him off . He scored seconds later, 3 times that day as you say and almost every game for months if I remember correctly.

• No idea what this guy's like.

By sheer geography we'd be the smarter move though :)

• 32 years old and extremely poor scoring record throughout his career.

• @mooneyman said:
    32 years old and extremely poor scoring record throughout his career.

Is he one of Gareth's mates?

• @Wendoverman said:

@mooneyman said:

Is he one of Gareth's mates?

Richie would know him as well then!

• edited January 2020

@mooneyman said:

Cheeky 2 year drugs ban back at the start of last decade as well according to Wiki.

But apart from these things, looks solid.

• edited January 2020

Had a good season at Bradford in their play-off campaign a few years ago (10 assists and 6 goals) but has had injury troubles more recently. A proven player at this level and not a bad option on a free on a short-term deal, especially if we're looking to go down more of a 4-4-2 route. We don't want to be signing many players over 30 going forward, though - got to try and keep some sell-on value in the squad if we're not going to reinstate the academy.

• edited January 2020

Could be we were interested until we got Mccarthy... Or could mean Fred is still not close to returning

• I am beginning to worry that Fred is "edging closer to contention" - as per the club's Rochdale preview - at Bayo's pace.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I am beginning to worry that Fred is "edging closer to contention" - as per the club's Rochdale preview - at Bayo's pace.

If the usual approach is taken, he needs to at least be on the pitch doing the pre-match warmup for a couple of games first. So he must still be a comfortable distance off.

• I know it's gloomy with out him...but you have to hand it to the squad and management to be where we are without our expected 'marquee' player for most of the season.

• edited January 2020

Watching the Peterboro 3-3 highlights, Fred goes off injured.
    I can't now remember whether that was the initial niggle, or the one that has kept him out since. Anyone?

And that Kashket pen looks an even sharper call this far on.
    I bet a heck of a lot of refs would have bottled that, especially so late on, or decided it's only Kashket's wafer size that saw him go down.

• edited January 2020

@Malone That was the one that's kept him out since, initial niggle came against Southend.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I am beginning to worry that Fred is "edging closer to contention" - as per the club's Rochdale preview - at Bayo's pace.

Especially when the takeoever deal is moving "reasonably quickly"

• @Wendoverman said:
    I know it's gloomy with out him...but you have to hand it to the squad and management to be where we are without our expected 'marquee' player for most of the season.

I'll rephrase: I know it's gloomy without him and the fact the takeover is dying on its arse but you have to hand it to the squad and management they've done well to be where we are.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Wendoverman said:
    I know it's gloomy with out him...but you have to hand it to the squad and management to be where we are without our expected 'marquee' player for most of the season.

I'll rephrase: I know it's gloomy without him and the fact the takeover is dying on its arse but you have to hand it to the squad and management they've done well to be where we are.

So the picture of Rob in a hospital bed was staged?

• @OxfordBlue I added to my original post in order to respond to @eric_plant in a jovial manner. I realise I need to telegraph things a bit more...

• @Wendoverman said:
    @OxfordBlue I added to my original post in order to respond to @eric_plant in a jovial manner. I realise I need to telegraph things a bit more...

It's clear not everyone gets your whimsical style. That's a couple of "explain" jobs in the last week lol

• I need a major rethink of my whole approach to life @Malone

• Don’t make it too easy for them @Wendoverman! One of the pleasures on here is the two-footed, over the top tackle on one of your “whimsical” comments, only for the commenter to miss wildly as it does a sneaky shimmy and passes them by unharmed and unaffected.

• This is an awful thread.

• @bookertease said:
    Don’t make it too easy for them @Wendoverman! One of the pleasures on here is the two-footed, over the top tackle on one of your “whimsical” comments, only for the commenter to miss wildly as it does a sneaky shimmy and passes them by unharmed and unaffected.

While at the same time giving time of day to some of the more miserable cynical posters

• Sorry, I get confused who are the conspiracy theorists on here and who aren’t.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    Sorry, I get confused who are the conspiracy theorists on here and who aren’t.

That's what they want

• @StrongestTeam said:

@OxfordBlue said:
    Sorry, I get confused who are the conspiracy theorists on here and who aren’t.

That's what they want

And they are everywhere. Deep steak i think they call it.

• What do we still need? Or would people be satisfied if McCarthy is our only signing of this window?

• Dom Gape is still top of my wish-list.

As far as bringing people in, it really depends on how long Yates, JJ and Fred are out for.