Skip to content

Berks & Bucks Cup

Comments

• And this one might not be able to get up (as it were). I’d be the Private Godfrey of the team. @Malone has been a star performer “back in the day” (or so he says).

• Correction- he played for The Star football team, a long defunct free local ‘paper hereabouts.

• @micra said:
    And this one might not be able to get up (as it were). I’d be the Private Godfrey of the team. @Malone has been a star performer “back in the day” (or so he says).

I had you inked in as the midfield dynamo!

• edited January 2020

I am willing to play the Bayo role. Without any of his mobility or skill obviously. I may also need to lean against the nearest available upright and wheeze alarmingly at regular intervals.

• I had you shoed in as the keeper @Wendoverman, spending most of the game adjusting your shoelaces!

• Put me down for a half ( a minute that is ! ) when the time comes .

• edited January 2020

@mooneyman said:
    I had you shoed in as the keeper @Wendoverman, spending most of the game adjusting your shoelaces!

that little run-up will play havoc with my dodgy knee though

• I used to play left centre half, sort of Darius Charles position, for my pub team it that is of any help. But my eyesight is not what it was.

• Bit one footed weren’t you @Cyclops.

• Wink, wink!?

• edited February 2020
  • "Hungerford Town will welcome league 1 Wycome Wanders..."

• £12 a ticket. That's more than our FA Cup tickets were this year isn't it?

• Hungerford host Braintree on the Saturday before this match, Jacob Gardiner-Smith can do a useful scouting job. Maybe he would be allowed to play in the B & B game.

It's a shame this match could not be scheduled after Scotty finishes his ban but Hungerford have a league game on Tuesday 3 March, and our players have a sponsors dinner on Tuesday 10 March. The Quarter Finals are meant to be completed by 10 March, so I am surprised the sponsors dinner was arranged for then.

• Didcot v Newport Pagnell called off last night due to a waterlogged pitch. Slough v Franchise Marlow v Reading both seem to be now scheduled for March 10th

• edited February 2020

• In the 1936/37 season, from 9th Jan - 6th March we played 9 matches, all cup games! This included 3 replays against Slough in the B&B semis. We would go on to lose the final against Windsor & Eton in front of over 7000 at Maidenhead's ground.

I notice that year Nunhead FC were in our league, a team I've never heard of before. According to wiki: "In 2019, 80 years after the club had folded, a group of Nunhead residents began fundraising for charity in the name of Nunhead Football Club.[2] To celebrate the 90th anniversary of Nunhead's consecutive Isthmian League title wins, a visual archive of the club's history was published online"

• I've read about Nunhead in our club history book, south London isn't it?

• Aye https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nunhead

I've got lost down a Wanderers rabbit hole. I note in the 1934/35 season 'Chairboys on the net' has us playing in the 'King Edward VIII Cup'. However there is no mention of this in my 'Wycombe Wanderers 1887-1996 The Official History'

@Steve_Peart we need you to get down the library!

• This is strange as Eddie's brief reign was 20 January 1936 – 11 December 1936, before he hot-footed it across the pond with his American skirt.

• @LX1 said:
    This is strange as Eddie's brief reign was 20 January 1936 – 11 December 1936, before he hot-footed it across the pond with his American skirt.

Our first trans player?

• Oh I see you mean the Nazi king?

• @LX1 said:
    I note in the 1934/35 season 'Chairboys on the net' has us playing in the 'King Edward VIII Cup'.

@LX1, this might have been classed under 'other' games, so not included in the book grids as a first team game. I will check full match grids later, if I get time after returning from Hungerford.

• Is there not some PR value in taking part? Might help to attract new spectators and to "have a look" at players in the area.
    Remembering how important the competition used to be I recall going by special train to Reading to watch the final at Elm Park.

• @LX1 said:
    Aye https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nunhead

I've got lost down a Wanderers rabbit hole. I note in the 1934/35 season 'Chairboys on the net' has us playing in the 'King Edward VIII Cup'. However there is no mention of this in my 'Wycombe Wanderers 1887-1996 The Official History'

@Steve_Peart we need you to get down the library!

@LX1, checking the full grids, those matches are down as Windsor Hospital Cup, so would not count as 'first team' games for the book. We eventually hope to publish, in some format, all line-ups from the beginning, including friendlies and the other minor cups.

• the Cup was the King Edward V11 Hospital Cup. The Hospital is in Windsor

• Personally, I think a lot more could be made of the B & B Cup. About 5 years ago the B & B FA were interested in staging the final regularly at Adams Park. As a “community club” I think this could be really beneficial.

The club is also pushing this business networking scheme. By letting out boxes for a nominal fee for a game like the B & B Final the club could let potential sponsors “try before you buy”.

Additionally, you will have people visiting AP for the first time who may be tempted to return for the odd league game. Pretty much a win/win situation.

• I think members in here really underestimate the apathy of the general self proclaimed "football fan" for anything other than top quality football, trying to get anyone outside of the hardcore support to a B&B game would be difficult even if boxes were free.

• I don't deny attracting a crowd would perhaps be tricky but it is not just 'apathy' from so called plastic fair weather glory hunting 'football fans' @Username but work, family and money as has been pointed out on here time and time again. I think the idea of making AP the centre for the B&B cup is a good one for the reasons @A_Worboys gives above. The teams and fans are local and you would get more of an atmosphere at Adams Park than say an almost empty Reading or MK stadium

• @Steve_Peart Thanks Steve. The depth of your research is amazing.