Skip to content

Match day thread: Blackpool

124»

Comments

• Thanks Wendoverman, I couldn’t get to that game and had forgotten all about it. T shirt can wait till his first hat trick!

• thanks for that @FmG obviously my knowledge and reading of the game is proven yet again to be second to none :smile:

• That game, the Scunthorpe recovery and the recent Peterborough game were three of my favourites of recent times.

• Just looked back at the Donny game and his goal was indeed an absolute screamer. If he has shooting ability like that in his locker he’s an even better player than I thought.

• @FmG said:

@glasshalffull said:
    Funnily enough, I nominated Thompson as MOM for one of his early games and remember getting dog’s abuse!

I had a quick look back and think it may have been against Bristol in August last year.

Out of interest I went to have a look what was said and picking out a few thoughts on him from on her that day...

Chickenhead
    Did all the people who keep raving about Thompson including Alan Parry fail to notice his sublime pass along the six yard box to there striker for him to tap in. Or not notice the several times he was muscled of the ball because he was to slow.

HCBlue
    Agree that Thompson was never motm. Frankly, he didn't, to me, look good enough for the level of play today.

Glenactico
    How on earth Thompson won MOTM I do not know. I thought he was very poor.

Mooneyman
    I am not convinced Thompson is as good as Bean, let alone an upgrade.

Aloysius
    Thompson are too pedestrian to offer much support. I'm afraid to me Bloomfield, Bean and Thompson all look like players that would keep a club hovering around the mid table mark in League Two.

Malone
    I'm still not quite sure what Thompson is about to be honest. One of those bits and pieces mids who doesn't really stand out.

How opinions have change! Just a handful of compliments for him that day...

FmG
    I like Thompson - neat and tidy player

glasshalffull
    No one is claiming that Thompson is the new Steven Gerrard but he’s a useful player to have in the squad.

Wendoverman
    I obviously know nothing about the football (cue cries of agreement) as I thought Thompson was the pick of our midfield, the only person closing down rovers in the midfield, won a lot of battles coming away with the ball and made a couple of really good interceptions.

What a bunch of clowns
    (Whistles uncomfortably).

• You can view Thompson's and the other thrilling comeback goals from PCH (plus a lot of early Doncaster dominance) in the highlights here: https://www.skysports.com/football/wycombe-vs-doncaster/393430

• Disappointed I missed the reference to Steve "most overrated footballer in history" Gerrard first time around

• @eric_plant said:
    Disappointed I missed the reference to Steve "most overrated footballer in history" Gerrard first time around

You try dragging Djimi Traore and Igor Biscan to a European cup.

• Don’t think you’d find many people to agree with that description Eric....over 500 games for Liverpool, over 100 caps for England etc...but I’m too delighted at the takeover news that for once, I’m not in the mood for an argument!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2019

Have people really forgotten that goal in that comeback against Donny last season? Have we been so spoiled in recent months that such wonderful scenes can so easily be banished from the memory?!

• @FmG said:

@glasshalffull said:
    Funnily enough, I nominated Thompson as MOM for one of his early games and remember getting dog’s abuse!

I had a quick look back and think it may have been against Bristol in August last year.

Aloysius
    Thompson are too pedestrian to offer much support. I'm afraid to me Bloomfield, Bean and Thompson all look like players that would keep a club hovering around the mid table mark in League Two.

Whoops! Still right about Bean though!

• edited October 2019

@YorkExile said:
    Have people really forgotten that goal in that comeback against Donny last season? Have we been so spoiled in recent months that such wonderful scenes can so easily be banished from the memory?!

I think your chronology is a bit off. I believe the conversation was about perceptions of him that predate that time. Certainly, my view of Thompson changed last season as we saw more of him (after I was one of a number of people who gave @glasshalffull dog's abuse, apparently, by disagreeing with his take on a player and his performance in a match).

• @HCblue said:

@YorkExile said:

I think your chronology is a bit off. I believe the conversation was about perceptions of him that predate that time. Certainly, my view of Thompson changed last season as we saw more of him (after I was one of a number of people who gave @glasshalffull dog's abuse, apparently, by disagreeing with his take on a player and his performance in a match).

As usual your take is very reasoned. And while I joked that those having doubts on him (like myself) were clowns, in reality, I don't think it's unreasonable to wonder what a player offers, when he's only had a few average games to start his time off.

And bearing in mind he barely got a sniff of action when he first came in, it did look a curious signing.
    Turned out as genius though

• @HCblue said:

@YorkExile said:

Sorry, I was just referring to the fact that people couldn't seem to remember that he had scored for us already. When I think about Curtis Thompson (which is almost as often as I think about my kids, as I'm sure you'll understand), my mind often wanders to the mental image I have of that wonderful strike.

• As I mentioned, I wasn’t at that game so my memory isn’t as vivid as those who saw it live. Also, to clarify for HC Blue, when I said I got ‘dog’s abuse’ for selecting Curtis as MOM, I was referring mainly to the FB page where the level of vitriol is much worse than it is in the relatively calmer waters of the Gasroom.

• @glasshalffull said:
    As I mentioned, I wasn’t at that game so my memory isn’t as vivid as those who saw it live. Also, to clarify for HC Blue, when I said I got ‘dog’s abuse’ for selecting Curtis as MOM, I was referring mainly to the FB page where the level of vitriol is much worse than it is in the relatively calmer waters of the Gasroom.

This is true, but also very strange, as usually the cloak of anonymity lets people act in a way they wouldn't otherwise.

I sometimes see people on twitter or facebook write something like "views are my own and not of my employer", but having seen someone get a disicplinary for what they once wrote, I can say that certainly is no disclaimer!

• @glasshalffull said:
    As I mentioned, I wasn’t at that game so my memory isn’t as vivid as those who saw it live. Also, to clarify for HC Blue, when I said I got ‘dog’s abuse’ for selecting Curtis as MOM, I was referring mainly to the FB page where the level of vitriol is much worse than it is in the relatively calmer waters of the Gasroom.

Ah. That makes more sense!

• To be fair on all those who didn't particularly rate Thompson (if not outright wrote him off) when he was on loan and at the start of this short-term contract, he has grown massively as a player in a short space of time. He'll be a big player for us for sure for the rest of this season.