Skip to content

Match day thread: Blackpool

Comments

• And.... Bolton beat the horse punchers 2-0. I'll take an away draw against a decent side and rovers giving bolton their first win of the season all day long!!

• Doesn't feel too much like points dropped really - we bossed the first half but Blackpool were far better in the second half without really bothering us too much other than the goal. Think a point apiece is about right on balance.

• Scrappy game with few sustained passing movements, especially in the second half. Draw seemed a fair result to me. I believe we “won” the foul count 19-16. It wasn’t pretty. Giles Phillips impressed and certainly a good shout for man of the match.

• Mad results else where.
    Southend pumped 7-1 at home to Donny. Not aided by two red cards.

And Sunderland smashing Tranmere 5-0.
    Hopefully we find Tranmere in poor form in a few weeks.

• Hopefully the extra day's rest helps us on Saturday.

• Plus one or two returning stars.

• Surely Paul S must be fairly close to a return... I'm getting pretty desperate to see him in action again.

• 1-1 a fair result in an uninspired game. Good point to grind out.

• First and hopefully last time watching on ifollow, soulless. It was a very poor game, neither side could string 4 passes together. But that does highlight my expectation of the current squad. I am away for the Tranmere league game and had planned to watch on ifollow, I need to rethink my plan.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Surely Paul S must be fairly close to a return... I'm getting pretty desperate to see him in action again.

Said 3-4 weeks away at the Peterborough game

• Reckon he’ll be on the bench on Saturday.

• @Fit2drop said:
    First and hopefully last time watching on ifollow, soulless. It was a very poor game, neither side could string 4 passes together. But that does highlight my expectation of the current squad. I am away for the Tranmere league game and had planned to watch on ifollow, I need to rethink my plan.

If it's the away game, it's on Sky!

• Thought Heneghan dealt with Bayo particularly well, he really wasn't getting much joy out of their defence. Though Phillips and Stewart were just as comfortable against Gnaduillet, just a shame we had a bit of a dozy spell first 10 mins of 2nd half to let them back into it.

• Great new song

Trevor said
    Took the money from Rob Couhig.
    Came from America
    Now he's a Wandererer
    Yeovil said no
    So he came to see Bayo
    Now we're on a trip
    All the way to the Championship.

To the tune of enola gay

• edited October 2019

@micra said:
    Scrappy game with few sustained passing movements, especially in the second half. Draw seemed a fair result to me. I believe we “won” the foul count 19-16. It wasn’t pretty. Giles Phillips impressed and certainly a good shout for man of the match.

Agree on Phillips for man of the match. Very assured performance from a player with such a small amount of first team experience and dealt well with Gnanduillet throughout.

• Giles Phillips was absolutely immense at the back. This is a hard choice between Jombati, Stewart, Phillip's and Charles!

• Phillips definitely MOM.

• Thought it was Curtis Thompson myself. So good to have him back. He's class

• Gape had some great moments also. I think it says something that we played well against a decent side and that GA was disappointed with the performance - I've only seen three games so far this season (AFCW away, Stevenage at home in the tinpot and last night - possibly three of the worst picks?) but if that was us on an off night, I'd love to see us when we're firing on all cylinders.

• edited October 2019

@thedieharder said:
    Giles Phillips was absolutely immense at the back. This is a hard choice between Jombati, Stewart, Phillip's and Charles!

Philips played well, but it's still no contest when everyone is fit, Stewart and Charles every time.

Thought we played well for a couple of ten minute spells, as did Blackpool at the start of each half, other than that though I thought it was a pretty poor quality game. Will take the point though, would take a similar result Saturday if we can keep winning at home.

• It was a bit of a pin ball job at time, the ball thrashed forward by both teams without much quality.

That's where Freeman is magic at times, as the concept of smacking it doesn't exist to him.
    Thought Phillips was good, apart from one run of play where he could have cleared it near the half way line, but instead managed to end up knocking it against himself, just about getting out of trouble with a desperate tackle on the edge of our own box.

Sido may struggle to get much of a look in though, but a great option for 4th choice centre back.

• “You know you’ve got to be competitive and compete against them because you know exactly how they are going to play," Grayson droned.

• From a team who have 6ft 5 donkeys both ends of the pitch.

I wonder if these managers find they play many teams who aren't competitive?

• edited October 2019

I do wonder what the point of bringing on Blooms in the 90th minute was - no need to risk another knock to the head. Parker should have been on for Bayo after about 75 as well - the big man looked knackered. A rare night on which Gaz's substitutions didn't really make sense.

• 'Time after time you see their defenders trying to take the ball off our strikers, pass it to the midfield who increasingly just try to get it to a forward. Often these 'forwards' are closer to the goal than the defence and will inevitably try to score. Sometimes one of them will even try to run at the defence with the ball at his feet just to mix it up. That's how Ainsworth sets out his team time and time again, we know that, we understand that and the players have to try and deal with it. Today we didn't.'

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Great new song

Trevor said
    Took the money from Rob Couhig.
    Came from America
    Now he's a Wandererer
    Yeovil said no
    So he came to see Bayo
    Now we're on a trip
    All the way to the Championship.

To the tune of enola gay

That's been around for a couple of months but is pretty good - even if I have to be a pedant and point out that Yeovil didn't actually turn them down ;)

• Shev. the away league game I am working in Shanghai, always really difficult to find a bar with the midday game as 7pm is too early for them to be open. I also historically avoid sky as I blame them for most of the obsession with the premier league. I may have to be prepared to bite the bullet on this one.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I do wonder what the point of bringing on Blooms in the 90th minute was - no need to risk another knock to the head. Parker should have been on for Bayo after about 75 as well - the big man looked knackered. A rare night on which Gaz's substitutions didn't really make sense.

That late on it can only be giving someone who will play the next game a bit of a run out and a bit of settling for the draw.
    Lots of talk of Parker but Ainsworth obviously doesn't fancy him as a replacement for Bayo. Has played bits in midfield but probably without the pace to play wide. He hasn't done much wrong but at the same time hasn't impressed to the level of Pattison, Freeman, or any of the forwards.

• Substitutions and their timing has always been my worry about Gareth and I must agree that if you sign someone like Parker, surely he should get on if the big man tires. Even if David 'great in the air' Wheeler goes in the middle. As usual I am making this observation as a tactical mouse rather than someone who has any idea what Dobbo and GA are thinking!