Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• Unless you are about ten @Malone I doubt it was you. :wink: I did consider asking if one of them was called Richie...

• Just read some of the comments on the Sunderland fans page. Amusing but also depressing in the extreme. Loved the bloke who wanted to know why Adams Park was built in a 'big hole' as there were 'ten feet of earth behind every stand'. Don't they have hills and valleys in Sunderland?

• you really go out of your way to find stuff to be annoyed by don't you?

• @eric_plant said:
    you really go out of your way to find stuff to be annoyed by don't you?

Depends on how you read the post tbh. I didn't read it as @glasshalffull being annoyed, more an observation of how desperate some fans get to, to be pointing out/criticising that we had to build in our location.

• Peterborough are by far and away the best team we have played...Champions in my book, Ipswich second. I think in all honesty we will finish about 10th. We can’t possibly keep this up can we.....

• Maybe, but if you go looking on fans' forums you're going to find stupid comments, and that includes this one.

I must say the Sunderland fans I spoke to on Saturday were all great. Looking forward to the return trip in January, as I couldn't make it last season. Proper club, proper fans.

I'd suggest if you judged any club by its online fanbase you'd end up with an unfavourable verdict.

• @eric_plant said:

No, I was simply commenting on the same link that was posted earlier and has been mentioned by others. Sorry if that offends you.

• Doesn't offend me in the slightest

• @eric_plant said:

we've all been making fun of out of their pram mackems, Mr eric, in fact @glasshalffull is late to the game...

Looks like there are three threads on there about that one game now. It must hurt. But they must have been a long way away from the action in the first half if they thnk they deserved anything, when we were far the better team and deserved to go in 1 - 0 up. Any time-wasting (and yes I'm talking to you Mr Allsopp) was all a bit too late to make up for their shocking performance.

• @MBS said:
    Peterborough are by far and away the best team we have played...Champions in my book, Ipswich second. I think in all honesty we will finish about 10th. We can’t possibly keep this up can we.....

That's what I keep thinking and then - we do!

• @Wendoverman said:

@eric_plant said:

we've all been making fun of out of their pram mackems, Mr eric, in fact @glasshalffull is late to the game...

Looks like there are three threads on there about that one game now. It must hurt. But they must have been a long way away from the action in the first half if they thnk they deserved anything, when we were far the better team and deserved to go in 1 - 0 up. Any time-wasting (and yes I'm talking to you Mr Allsopp) was all a bit too late to make up for their shocking performance.

You're clearly forgetting the "anything Mr Glassful says" immediately has to be wrong to at least 3-4 posters on here, element.

• edited October 2019

• @MBS said:
    Peterborough are by far and away the best team we have played...Champions in my book, Ipswich second. I think in all honesty we will finish about 10th. We can’t possibly keep this up can we.....

Why not?

• Has anyone told the Mackems the winning goal was scored by a man who had been told his career was over in the Summer? Or would that be just too much....?

• If anything I think we will get better. Several exceptional players at League 1 level (eg Fred, Rolando, Paul and arguably (certainly by me) Curtis) have yet to really make their mark and apologies if I’ve omitted anyone else in that category.

Only an exceptional number of injuries would prevent the maintenance of/improvement in performances, I think. One vital factor up to now has been the ability to play the same “back five” for so many games. Long may that continue. We are aware of the vulnerability of our central defenders of course but, happily, they have stayed fit. Long may it continue.

Yeah, I’m a Wanderer!

• Repetition there as a result of rushing off mid-comment to investigate a misbehaving CD. Well, that’s my excuse.

• Completely agree, @micra I have for weeks now been longing to see what we could do when at full strength. Just to pick out one example from Aarons' repertoire, the way he brought down the high bouncing ball on the edge of the area, shielded it from the defender and drew the foul which led to JJ's free kick, was just a higher level of skill altogether. The ball didn't always roll his way on Sat, but just imagine when it does. It's like watching an upgraded version of Eze.

• edited October 2019

Gaz is going to be tearing his hair out deciding who to pick when Fred, Paul and Rolando are all fit. I still reckon the Northern Irish Messi is our most exciting player.

• I must have missed all the timewasting they are bleating about on their forum...still...as in the first half we were all over them and there was 2 minutes added for an injury to their player. And the time added on in the second was for a clash of heads that ended up with wheeler in a helmet...and also they created nothing. I've seen us hang on but if anything in that game I am disappointed that we did not score more!

• @Wendoverman Yes, it was absolutely nothing like when we "shithoused" Plymouth last year. Which, because of the effect it had on their players, fans and wonderful manager, was a thing of beauty.

• Agree 100% @LeedsBlue. Top notch entertainment throughout the game and for weeks after

• I put it to a few of the Sunderland lot, that when we had 2 midgets in centre mid, a flair player in Freeman, 2 championship quality wingers, 2 full backs that no one would ever call "physical", then talk of how "aggressively physical" we were, as if we are some worse version of Fashanu and co, is plainly absurd.

I think they're totally mixing up hard working with physical there.

• I love he way they say...loads of other managers and fans have said it...as if that disproves anything that they see with their own eyes! I thought first 45 was excellent with only one team in it. Except for about fifteen minutes in the middle of the second half where they seemed to be getting too much space in midfield I still felt only another Rocky howler was going to let them back in.

• edited October 2019

Some close-up footage of Sunderland's disgraceful tackling here

• @glasshalffull said:
    Just read some of the comments on the Sunderland fans page. Amusing but also depressing in the extreme. Loved the bloke who wanted to know why Adams Park was built in a 'big hole' as there were 'ten feet of earth behind every stand'. Don't they have hills and valleys in Sunderland?

Passed a group of Sunderland fans after the game, they were struggling to make their way up Warwick Ave, one had already pulled up injured. Another commented on the steepness of the hill. I replied ; "hill, what hill?" They didn't seem impressed.

• I agree with Malone. I’ve always had a lot of time for Sunderland fans and I’m sure the majority are the kind that Eric Plant met, but there’s a vocal minority who bring shame to their club. Their comments about Wycombe were bad enough, but the abuse they dished out to their new manager was disgraceful.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Some close-up footage of Sunderland's disgraceful tackling here

Wow! That's an upgrade on the usual Inside Matchday. Loving/ love/ loved the extra cameras. Really brought the events to life.

• I can’t believe some so called Sunderland supporters are calling for their managers head, it beggars belief.

• @BuckinghamBlue said:
    I can’t believe some so called Sunderland supporters are calling for their managers head, it beggars belief.

Yes. Reading their lines if we had sung "You'll be sacked in the morning" some of them would have joined in.

• edited October 2019

Those of you who've seen the Netflix series will know that after their relegation, one of them called Chris Coleman a prick and went to square up to him.