Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• Darius Charles , what a man !! the team were immense today and special shout out to Blooms ....ran his heart out!! we are playing fantastic and 3 nil would not of flattered us.

Sunderland were so poor,.one of the worst I have seen at Adam's park this season.

next 2 games will dictate our season. I think ....if we play like we have then am confident

• Top defender and class man......

• They were kicking us all.over the park today and mcgeady was trying every dirty trick in the book. If they want to.blame shithousery for a total lack of goal threat they need to watch the highlights. Also how bayo is blown for a foul on the TWO men wrestling him I will never know!

• Agree about Charles from a season of no show to being released and career looking over to the kind performance he put in today is stunning. Also lets not forget that yet again Richie's favourite manager should be applauded for giving DC another chance and believing in him!

• Just finished reading the Sunderland fans forum on today’s game and it’s an extraordinarily read It’s almost as if they refuse to believe that they are in league one.

• Top day today, not the sexiest game we've played this season, even in parts but we took it up a notch and won the day. Blooms was excellent, massive in midfield, running and running and running, wow. Grimmer grew into the game, punishing their flank mercilessly. DC was magnificent and topped it with a goal. RA was great, would be good to see him and other take a few shots but that's small beans compared to the Stella display today. Only is running out of beer in the Vere and for a while in the tent. But can't moan, top day, top team, top manger and second place in league one. Wow.

• Shithousery. Is that the Gasroom word of the year or something? Had never heard of it until a few months ago.

• I love Darius Charles, and how he owns the reason he celebrated so passionately in front of the Sunderland fans, calling them (rightly) "smug", and needing to respect us in our house. Sportsmen can be way too diplomatic in those moments sometimes, but after the last two games of dogs abuse from their entitled lot, I am glad he is unabashed at rubbing it in!

I much prefer loving my own team to hating others, but much as I try and like Sunderland (actually, I don't even try anymore), I really, really dislike them now. They received almost universal sympathy after their documentary was released, and they repay the footballing fraternity by being too good for all of us.

• Excellent comment @Shev, spot on as far as I'm concerned!

• Do I think we can get into the top two this year? Yes I do

• I appreciate that Ryan Allsop is having a good season @Ozzie_the_Relaxed (and his kicking is much improved) but I think you might be stretching it a bit to expect him to start taking a few shots. Best if he sticks to Stella.

• Is Fred injured? Is Curtis available for Blackpool? (Was two yellows wasn’t it?). Both plus Samuel against Blackpool?

• edited October 2019

@micra said:
    Is Fred injured? Is Curtis available for Blackpool? (Was two yellows wasn’t it?). Both plus Samuel against Blackpool?

I assume Fred is still struggling with his groin, but he wasn't mentioned as an absentee in the Sunderland preview so hopefully not serious. Curtis will be available, as well Nnamdi Ofoborh. Samuel has pulled a hammy, I was told, so might be out a little while longer, but Paul Smyth is supposed to be close. And I think that's everyone?

• Was glad to see Pattison come on. Especially after a certain someone on the forum suggested he had a broken foot!

• But for Tuesday for certain Bloomfield will drop out, probably for Thompson.
    Bayo looked a bit knackered, so possibly Parker gets a rare start?

May see Phillips or Mascoll come in.

• An excellent performance 1-11 again, which shows our real strength is in the collective, not just the players brought in on the back of Couhig's bridging loan.

On a side note, how was McGeady (I think it was) not given a straight red for that two footed studs up lunge near the end? If his shot hadn't been saved by Alsopp that would have been a massive talking point.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    An excellent performance 1-11 again, which shows our real strength is in the collective, not just the players brought in on the back of Couhig's bridging loan.

On a side note, how was McGeady (I think it was) not given a straight red for that two footed studs up lunge near the end? If his shot hadn't been saved by Alsopp that would have been a massive talking point.

Wyke was smashing people left right and centre too, injured himself trying to jump into someone who moved, might have had more joy trying to go for the ball. Could easily have got two bookings first half. Their fans seem delighted he's injured. Very little in the dark arts from us yesterday except a bit of inevitable Rocky delays after saves. If I was one of their fans I'd be very disappointed with their attack, Wyke cost big money from Bradford, Will Grigg even more (£3.5m?) and certainly not on fire and McGeady and Watmore looked class at times but obviously haven't delivered much over the years or wouldn't still be there. Really do pity them as it gets right up their noses.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@micra said:
    Is Fred injured? Is Curtis available for Blackpool? (Was two yellows wasn’t it?). Both plus Samuel against Blackpool?

I assume Fred is still struggling with his groin, but he wasn't mentioned as an absentee in the Sunderland preview so hopefully not serious. Curtis will be available, as well Nnamdi Ofoborh. Samuel pulled a hammy, I believe, so might be out a little while longer, but Paul Smyth is supposed to be close. And I think that's everyone?

I think Samuel is a broken rib, which can take a while, also means he can’t train so will loose fitness edge which is a big part of his game.

• Given Darius C’s brilliant quote, can we now borrow back the Villa chant for Kortney H?
    ‘Our house, in the middle of the woods, our house’. Really is pure Madness at Adams Park these days. COYB’s.

• RA was Ronaldo Aarons @micra not Rocky. Although would be interesting to see rocky have shot or two!!

• Did anyone else slip on the torrent of tears outside the away end yesterday?

• Have they also not realised that the six-second rule hasn't been applied for years?

• Also counting to 10 does not necessarily equate to that equalling 10 seconds! I reckon it would take Usaine Bolt 20+ 'seconds' to run 100 metres using their time keeping methods.

• @Ozzie_the_Relaxed said:
    RA was Ronaldo Aarons @micra not Rocky. Although would be interesting to see rocky have shot or two!!

Yes I did realise after a couple of seconds.
    Please don’t go spoiling my merry quips!
    I realised also that you meant stellar (though not so sure on that one) and that you were not getting all Christmassy with your manger.

• @Brownie said:
    Lifted from the Sunderland fans forum, under a thread titled "How the feck are that lot second?"

"rugby style play and shithouses throughout the side, little shame when blatantly cheating, so little quality.

im still in shock when wefail to beat these outfits, simply drop to their level then get kicked, pulled n cheated out of a result. Utter shit."

You love to see it.

Malice in Sunderland.

• Trump that @DevC ! God knows I’ve tried.

• From that match report you'd think we had pinched it. Rather than being on top and not unduly threatened.

Peterboro remain the best team we've played.

• I agree with that @Malone.