Skip to content

Sunderland sack Manager

Comments

• @eric_plant said:
    By the way, if Ainsworth were to take the Sunderland job now would that kill the Couhigs' bid dead in the water?

I think it probably would

Gareth will no doubt know this, so it's really hard to see him leaving before the vote.

• edited October 2019

@eric_plant said:
    Why? - because they've made a big play about how he is central to them wanting to get involved and how important he is to achieving their goals. Also, he's been very supportive of the bid. Would send out a message if he were to leave before they even held the vote.

And what if he left straight after? - it wouldn't matter would it?

If Sunderland offered him the job, and he wanted it, you couldn't expect him to turn it down to help the bid, or Sunderland to let him decide after the results of the vote.

If it was almost any other manager I wouldn't think the future of the club would be considered, but GA clearly does have a genuine love For Wwfc now so hopefully that means we do have some hold on him in terms of him not wanting to drop us in it.

• ah sorry, I should have been clearer.

What I meant was that they are unlikely to achieve the 75% threshold. I wasn't suggesting they'd pull out

• It would be nice for the club to actually officially say if permission for talks have been granted then we would at least know. I suspect as with players the club would not stand in his way if he wanted to talk but he has gone on record as saying it would need to be something special for him to walk away from us assuming the take over goes ahead. Are Sunderland something special? He knows if he does not get them promoted this season the chances are he would get sacked but he will rightly trust his ability to get them up should he take the job. Also means up-rooting his family so again a massive decision for him if he was offered the job. Luke O9 felt he had a better chance of playing at a higher level with them and rightly so but long term I have to admit if he goes and gets it right then its a key to manging in the premiership one day.

• It'd be such a shame to leave with us on the cusp of a really good season with a full squad of good players for the first time in his reign.

He only has to look at our friend at Stoke for a sign of what can happen.

However, we await developments.

• Just a thought but the compensation Sunderland would pay would surely be higher than most

• edited October 2019

If Ainsworth's name hadn't been mentioned as someone they're possibly after, his odds wouldn't be that short (they've just drifted slightly, btw).

• @chairboyscentral said:
    If Ainsworth's name hadn't been mentioned as someone they're possibly after, his odds wouldn't be that short (they've just drifted slightly, btw).

I think the bookies are watching this thread.

• Slightly interesting who the other four candidates are currently in a job. Looking at Paddy Power list, Paul Cook reasonably fancied , Robins and Mellon very much outsiders, no idea who the fifth would be. Obviously that excludes Stendel and other currently out of work candidates.

• They could always re-employ BFS!

• I'm with Wayne...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • He's managing a club above them in the table the absolute dolt.

• I hope they hire someone else and then we hammer them, with Freeman scoring a backheel, rabona and scissors kick hattrick.

• I can only assume that Wayne changed his surname to Doran from Kerr.

• edited October 2019

When was the last time a manager in work dropped down a division?

• Is Wayne, Sunderland's Richie?

• Always good to get the interview practice.

• BBC Three Counties also reporting on Twitter that the club have given Gareth permission to talk to Sunderland

• GA has gone on record before talking about the type of players he likes to sign and about how it takes time to build that squad. Whether he would be given the time to build a GA-style squad...I can’t see it myself.

Also, I wrote it somewhere else, maybe Facebook - Sunderland have sacked their manager when sitting pretty in 6th place with 3/4 of the season still to play. I’m not sure GA would uproot his family to go somewhere without that job security.

• Thats born out with how well he is doing at Dagenham.

@Wendoverman said:
    Someone (either a Gills or Southend fan) told me years ago that the problem with Peter Taylor was he was great organising a team with no money...but anytime he had cash to splash he tended to splash it up the wall!

• Pretty concerned about this now to be honest

• The timing would be utterly rubbish.

• edited October 2019

I don't think anyone can be certain of anything with this one.

Incredibly finely poised. Just got his superb squad together, big vote next week, and he wouldn't bother to speak to them if he had no interest.

Fingers crossed.

• @eric_plant said:
    Pretty concerned about this now to be honest

I'm with Eric on this one - takeover or no takeover, I think if he's offered the Sunderland job he's taking it. I hope I'm wrong, but out of all the jobs he's been linked with before, this is the one that I think could stick.

• edited October 2019

It'd be hard to knock a guy, when he'd most likely be offered 3-4 times the money, ten times the budget, and take over a club who have Premier league experience.

They are a bit of a circus though. Whereas he has a bit of a no lose safe job with us.

It'd just be cruel though wouldn't it to leave just when he's got his squad together.
    But there's every chance we've peaked at 2nd, having played a game more than 3-4 teams below us, and his stock may never be higher.

• I wouldn't imagine he's the only one they'll approach.