Skip to content

Sunderland sack Manager

Comments

• edited October 2019

I still reckon they'll go with someone who's won promotion from this division before. Also, I think Gaz is humble enough to turn down such a big job. The timing would be absolutely awful.

• look on the bright side. 4 of those managers plus candidates not currently in work are not Gareth Ainsworth.

• They watch us once, maybe twice a season, and think they can make this sort of comment. That's football fans to a tee isn't it.

We're in 2nd. We're not there just by being dirty kick and rush merchants.

• I don't remember Sunderland being so special last season. Three draws (including the fight) wasn't it?

• Chris Hughton gets promotion and then the sack. It's the rule.

• Are clubs that are always changing their managers always that attractive? Money is not everything. Quality of life counts for a lot

• @wingnut said:
    Are clubs that are always changing their managers always that attractive? Money is not everything. Quality of life counts for a lot

I would say not...but I am not a footy manager. I was surprised The Rev took the risk on the 'project' that is Stoke City.

• In fairness, Stoke are known for giving managers time and seem pretty sensibly run.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Best hope is he doesn't get approached. Easy to say it's a barmy club or it's not in his best interests but when you consider they can grab our best players and then leave them out at will, or play them out of position, and they spend millions on players when we are looking at freebies that has to count. Facilities, stadium, number of fans all count and that's before you consider salary or what would happen to his stock if he actually got them up or back to the Prem. He's going to go at some stage.

• edited October 2019

@Wendoverman said:

@wingnut said:
    Are clubs that are always changing their managers always that attractive? Money is not everything. Quality of life counts for a lot

I would say not...but I am not a footy manager. I was surprised The Rev took the risk on the 'project' that is Stoke City.

Sunderland isn't that bad!

If we were talking "normal" pay increases I'd 100% agree, but when you're talking doubling / tripling /etc your salary, then your job security is slightly different when GA could earn as much by getting sacked after 1 year at Sunderland and getting paid off than he would having 3 or 4 successful years here.

That and the challenge, I'm sure GA will back his management ability and if he had anywhere near the relative success he's had with us at Sunderland, he'd be a premier league manager in no time.

Got to be Stendel though!

• @Username said:

Of course not. A well known reputation for damaging away stadium seats and intimidating behaviour in towns.

Maybe we should transfer the terrace marauders to Sunderland. Gareth loves you

• edited October 2019

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Username said:

Of course not. A well known reputation for damaging away stadium seats and intimidating behaviour in towns.

Maybe we should transfer the terrace marauders to Sunderland. Gareth loves you

I meant the area to live in but you can try and make everything about vilifying the group of fans you clearly hate if you really want to.

• I very much doubt he will be offered the job. Reading seems a far better fit to me.

• Sunderland will obviously have a big attraction, it's the sort of club if you get right you can ride back up to the Premier league.

However, so many have been sacked there in the last decade. Even the great man O Neill. It's a difficult job for a reason, and Gaz's MO to date has been underdog.

• For me the Sunderland job gives me the same thoughts as the star studded Dutch investment bid.

The bright sparkly promise of how big there are very nearly makes you forget what a nightmare the behind the scenes stuff may well be.

Don't go there Gareth. It will be a disaster.

• IF (big if) he is offered the job, next Saturday would be very weird. Would an opposition manager ever have been cheered quite so loudly.

• Just had a look .... hes shot up massively again this morning and is now 4/6 on favourite.... gulp

• The problem sometimes with people who have learned their trade cutting their cloth and wheeler dealing is...as soon as they do have any money they make a pig's ear of it. At one point Gaz said he would keep a small squad...even if he was at a higher level as it means the group are motivated and can see they might get a chance. Once you get up to a bigger squad, bigger names, youth team and money to spend I think it can be overwhelming and you don't get much time to find your feet. I hope Gareth is reading this and will reject any offer however lucrative... :smile:

• Someone (either a Gills or Southend fan) told me years ago that the problem with Peter Taylor was he was great organising a team with no money...but anytime he had cash to splash he tended to splash it up the wall!

• edited October 2019

@HolmerBlue said:
    Just had a look .... hes shot up massively again this morning and is now 4/6 on favourite.... gulp

Wasn't he also odds on favourite for the QPR and Lincoln jobs? And am I right in thinking that odds are largely based on weight of money - and not necessarily any inside knowledge?

• @DevC said:
    IF (big if) he is offered the job, next Saturday would be very weird. Would an opposition manager ever have been cheered quite so loudly.

Classic Dev

• By the way, if Ainsworth were to take the Sunderland job now would that kill the Couhigs' bid dead in the water?

I think it probably would

• edited October 2019

@eric_plant said:
    By the way, if Ainsworth were to take the Sunderland job now would that kill the Couhigs' bid dead in the water?

I agree with you, especially as he was pretty vocal about staying and the importance of the investment when Lincoln came calling.

Always worth remembering the Sunderland, Reading, QPR and Millwall jobs will be vacant again in the next year or so. He doesn't have to take it this time.

• @eric_plant said:
    By the way, if Ainsworth were to take the Sunderland job now would that kill the Couhigs' bid dead in the water?

Why? And what if he left straight after?

• Why? - because they've made a big play about how he is central to them wanting to get involved and how important he is to achieving their goals. Also, he's been very supportive of the bid. Would send out a message if he were to leave before they even held the vote.

And what if he left straight after? - it wouldn't matter would it?

• @eric_plant said:

If it did it would suggest they're not the right owners for us, would it not?