Skip to content

Match day thread: Lincoln

Comments

• It's all been said above. Happy days!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2019

In terms of the way Gaz wants to play, that's the perfect performance.

Defended and countered well in the first half. Freeman brilliant (could do with trying to shoot anywhere other than the near post though) Samuel never stops running. Bayo came on at the perfect time - immense tactics there to take the sting out of there attack.

Although we wish Blooms the best, and clearly everything was 100% authentic - the big old gap did help take the gusto out of their comeback.

Allsop is a fantastic keeper on his line, but I'd love him to come out and claim more... settles the nerves.

• It doesn't really matter if supporters do get "carried away"as long as the players don't and I am sure that will not happen.

• I’m on holiday so wasn’t able to go today but just watched the highlights, that referee needs retraining at the very least.

2 players down with clear head injuries and he allows it to go on and on.

Would understand if they clashed heads, the ball had dropped to someone and they scored, but there were two players from different teams in obvious distress and he let play go on for another 30 odd seconds.

What if one of them had swallowed their tongue or similar?

Disgraceful.

• What a fantastically enjoyable afternoon! So many positives from this afternoon, it’s difficult to know where to start. Possibly JJ’s best ever game for us? Agree that it was fantastic for him to be interviewed by Colin Murray in front of the terrace after the match. Great publicity for the club as well. Freeman - class, class, class, class. How much did he deserve that shot to go in today?
    From a player welfare perspective, possibly the worst piece of refereeing I have ever seen at this level. What was Allsop supposed to do, trample on players prone by injury, lying on the floor, in order to get to the ball? Talking of whom - he made TWO match winning saves today and I thought he was generally much more commanding around his box.
    The two new guys looked absolutely awesome - they are going to absolutely destroy most L1 midfields and defences.
    Bayo was superb when he came on - what feet!
    Agree with the comment above re fantastic man management from Gareth to get the team in a huddle after their goal in order to refocus after their goal / the incident.
    Bit too much moaning from Crowley #1 during the game and especially to the ref as they were coming off at half time, but very sporting from him to congratulate Samuel when he came off and after the match.
    Love the comment from @Malone about this being Roy of the Rovers stuff. It is exactly that.

• I don’t blame the Lincoln players or fans for the goal or their reaction to it but that has to be one worst refereeing decisions I’ve ever seen

• Yes said it at the time, was a real shocker from the ref, stunned he kept letting play run. Just glad Blooms is ok and it didn't cost us a result we fully merited.

• Even re-watching the highlights, you think, oh, maybe the ref was a little unsighted, and didn't recognise it was a proper clash.
    But then he had 30seconds to surely realise Bloomfield had barely moved, and their guy was just about scraping himself up.

The whistle near his mouth is the real stick to beat him with, it was like he knew the decision he should make, but was too indecisive and in effect simply bottled it.

The linesman didn't help, but then it probably comes down to the ref alone here.

• There is surely absolutely no reason why he couldn’t have changed his decision at any time in the 9 minutes or so before play restarted. Inexcusable

• As said it could have been serious

• @OakwoodExile said:
    There is surely absolutely no reason why he couldn’t have changed his decision at any time in the 9 minutes or so before play restarted. Inexcusable

Once the goal has gone in, on what grounds could he not let it stand? Too late then.
    Think he'll need some retraining, he had ample time to blow, more than it seemed at the time actually.

• @BuckinghamBlue said:
    As said it could have been serious

Being knocked unconscious is serious enough but you know what I mean

• Wycombe are class..... i couldn't fault a single player, Freeman is a joy to watch absolute class player what a display im glad i chose today to come back

• If he wanted cover for his decision he could have gone over and spoken to the linesman. But that would, or at least could, have been pure PR. As far as I am aware - and please someone correct me if I’m wrong - until play restarts he is completely at liberty to change his decision. He doesn’t need grounds to do so. He just needs to come to his senses.

• edited September 2019

@OakwoodExile , in some ways that would have made it even worse - he'd be admitting making a massive mistake, and needing the players' outrage to change his mind.

He'd then have the Lincoln fans, who he's in front of - maybe a reason for him bottling the original decision, and Lincoln players on his back.

What a mess.
    He definitely needs some sort of suspension or rebuke for that. Luckily it didn't change the result.

• @Malone I’ve always felt that, if you make a massive mistake, the best thing you can do is admit it.

• Worth noting that for all the talk of the new signings on the first 5 minutes of the Quest highlights tonight that 9 of the starting 11 today were in our squad last season.

Definitely evolution not revolution.

• We’re the featured game on Quest tonight. Pitchside Gaz looks like he might have added a touch of Just for Men to his hair.

• Just watched Quest highlights. Good interview with Gareth before and with Gareth and Mr Cowley after. Good coverage. Glad I wore pink so as to be seen on the interview with JJ after the game. Great for the club to get the exposure.

• @Onlooker said:
    JJ, Freeman, Bloomfield, the new guys, all superb, but let us not forget Allsop made two brilliant saves. Well played Ryan

Take back what I said earlier about Allsop. Yes he may cost us points occasionally but I guess all gk's do. Today he saved possibly 2 points.

• @HCblue said:
    Just watched Quest highlights. Good interview with Gareth before and with Gareth and Mr Cowley after. Good coverage. Glad I wore pink so as to be seen on the interview with JJ after the game. Great for the club to get the exposure.

How much was made about the ref gaffe incident?

• Cowley admitted the goal shouldn’t have stood, other then that not a lot was said about it

@Malone said:

@HCblue said:
    Just watched Quest highlights. Good interview with Gareth before and with Gareth and Mr Cowley after. Good coverage. Glad I wore pink so as to be seen on the interview with JJ after the game. Great for the club to get the exposure.

• @OX66 said:
    Cowley admitted the goal shouldn’t have stood, other then that not a lot was said about it

@Malone said:

@HCblue said:

Yup. Very brief highlights. Lots of feelgood backslapping.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    If he wanted cover for his decision he could have gone over and spoken to the linesman. But that would, or at least could, have been pure PR. As far as I am aware - and please someone correct me if I’m wrong - until play restarts he is completely at liberty to change his decision. He doesn’t need grounds to do so. He just needs to come to his senses.

He was more interested in booking Ryan for approaching the assistant referee

• @Onlooker said:

He was more interested in booking Ryan for approaching the assistant referee

Which was likely correct.

• Found today fascinating from a tactical point of view. One thing I admire with Cowley is how his teams noticeably change their style of depending on the flow of the game. Gaz won this battle superbly and I think really outfoxed him and his team, with Wheeler and Kashket really nullifying their wide players in front of our full backs. They could have had momentum after their goal - and obviously the delay probably didn’t help them - but bringing on Bayo not long after and keeping on Samuel suddenly meant Shackell and Bostwick had a real battle and restricted them being so attacking. Also really looking forward to seeing more of our loan signing from Bournemouth and Freeman was terrific. Great day, can’t stop looking at the league table I’ll enjoy it while we can!!

• Couldn't make today sadly, but enjoyed listening to the commentary while I did the washing up (took me the whole game to do about three glasses as I was so enthralled). Worth listening back to the interview with GA on BBC3C 505 on iPlayer, he oozes class and humility and its yet another reminder, if any more are needed, what a classy guy he is.

Glad to hear Blooms is ok. Typical Matty B though, putting his body on the line for the cause and not being afraid to put his head in where it hurts. Wish some of the idiots on social media could see what he does for the team (referring to the people who post nasty, abusive comments about/to him, rather than people who just don't rate him).

That said, I must be the only Wycombe fan happy their goal stood, as I'd stuck a few quid on Wycombe to win and both teams to score...

On to Stevenage in the McPot Noodle Cup - I'm actually quite looking forward to it.

• I'll leave a final comment until the next time!

Firstly hope Bloomfield is ok- don't think it needs me to say what the ref should have done (or the howls of anguish which would have descended if that had happened, in reverse, at SIncil Bank). For what it's worth, I think we all gave him a decent round of applause as he was carried off.

On to the game- read of couple of comments on here which, in my view, sum up the game. Ainsworth won the tactical battle today- he marked Payne out of the game which meant our attacking box-to-box distributor was nullified. He has been part of our engine for the last 6 weeks and to see him almost played out of the game was frustrating. We disappointingly didn't seem to have many options without him being a big player in the game.

You pressed very high and prevented any forward momentum although we had much the greater possession, we didn't/couldn't do much with it. Your transition play and cross field switching was much snappier than ours and much sharper.

Second half Akinde caused more problems up front than we had first half and we moved almost to a 4-4-2 which meant Walker wasn't a lone striker and certainly had more attempts on goal but, aside from a worldy save from Allsop, we didn't really look like doing much goals wise.

Ironically for all the cutting edge and attempts on goal when you attacked, all 3 goals came from set pieces which will particularly annoy the Cowleys- two from corners is unforgivable really.

Anyway, I don't have any complaints other than it's a shame we didn't make it more of a game but we can't win every week- onwards to next weekend. Thankfully it's at home and we are significantly better at a getting a result there.

Good luck for the season (except the return leg at SB).

• I really hope Allsop takes something from today. Two great saves, and aside from that untroubled (apart from the farcical goal). I’ve said it before, but if we actually stop shipping so many chances, he’ll look a much better goalkeeper.

Damn this is exciting...