Skip to content

Match day thread: Lincoln

Comments

• Keyboard warriors crawling in arses? If this is what the new money coming in means I may have to rethink my support.

• @thecatwwfc said:

@micra said:
    Stay grounded. Enjoy the present. Celebrate while you can. Whoops sorry @thecatwwfc getting carried away.

Another keyboard warrior. I wonder how many people would be this trappy in "in real life"

If that comment constitutes a keyboard warrior who you need to sort out in real life
    @thecatwwfc I suspect you might need to order a slightly thicker skin as the season progresses.

• That is so ridiculously excellent all round, it's like someone is writing Roy of the Rovers or suchlike!

• @th100 said:
    I can't remember the last time we played that well. Superb all over, what a day! As for the ref, he shouldn't be allowed to take charge of a game - at any level - until he proves he can be trusted. That was a shameful neglect of his duty of care, and it also pointed to a wider, serious problem in the game.

When are head injuries going to be taken seriously? It's really worrying.

99/100 times, or probably more like 999/1000 times the ref would have been blown there.
    If anything, refs tend to annoy us blowing for stuff you know isn't a "Proper" head injury of any description.

He must have wanted the ground to eat him up when that delay went on and on, and he was just stood there isolated.
    Even with footballers loving a bit of dissent, it's not often a whole team all remonstrate for minutes with a ref. Always the sign something scandalous has gone on.

Gaz very rarely criticises officials, but he has to have a comment about that today,

• We made a top.of the table team look.ordinary today with a debutante getting his first league minutes and slotting into the team seamlessly. If Gareth not knowing his best 11 is a major problem long may it continue. Only down side is I reckon JJs legs have gone.? I've not been kind to Bloomfield recently but today he was top notch before his injury.

• @Malone said:
    99/100 times, or probably more like 999/1000 times the ref would have been blown there.

Not the sort of thing you want to see at a family club.

• edited September 2019

Have got to say that Nick Freeman was very good this afternoon and the magic feet of Bayos' cameo performance was great to watch, something special is happening this season....

• First class all round today. I am now convinced that Freeman must start every game. And Ofoborh looked useful. Good times on the field. Come on Rob C, convince me it’s all affordable.

• @drcongo said:

@Malone said:

Not the sort of thing you want to see at a family club.

whoops, obvs caught in between "whistle would have" and "ref would"
    Ahem.

• @fairweather said:
    Have got to say that Nick Freeman was very good this afternoon and the magic feet of Bayos' cameo performance was great to watch, something special is happening this season....

If only that shot had gone in. Such a quality effort.

• @drcongo said:

@thecatwwfc said:
    Another keyboard warrior. I wonder how many people would be this trappy in "in real life"

Are you challenging a man in his 80s to come over ‘ere and say that?!

Yeah because I just re-read my post...and that's exactly what I DIDN'T say. What is your problem??

• @Manboobs said:
    First class all round today. I am now convinced that Freeman must start every game. And Ofoborh looked useful. Good times on the field. Come on Rob C, convince me it’s all affordable.

Freeman has the shirt for now, and after his sub appearance the Bournemouth loanee has to start next time too.
    So many superb touches, like he was a step ahead of everyone else, and it takes you a few seconds to appreciate it.

Arrans when he gets up to speed will be a real menace too.

• @thecatwwfc Cheer up, we’re top of the league.

• @drcongo said:
    @thecatwwfc Cheer up, we’re top of the league.

I get that. I'm ecstatic, I really am. I simply made a point about staying grounded (because of what happened last season after being 8th/9th for large periods of the season, albeit it made for an exciting finish)....and I have three people on at me?!?

• @Wendoverman said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@micra said:
    Stay grounded. Enjoy the present. Celebrate while you can. Whoops sorry @thecatwwfc getting carried away.

If that comment constitutes a keyboard warrior who you need to sort out in real life
    @thecatwwfc I suspect you might need to order a slightly thicker skin as the season progresses.

Exactly my point. I realise tougher times are to come so I think everyone will need a thicker skin.

• Have to say that was one of the best defensive performances by wycombe I have seen Lincoln had most of the possession and couldn’t break us down.

• edited September 2019

I have the hide (and thinking skills) of a rhino but I was blown away by that performance today. If you had told me Lincoln were a non-league team and this was an FA Cup match, I would have thought it a credible explanation for the game.

Bringing on Akinde at half-time was an excellent move by Cowleys since Lincoln had offered zero threat in the first half with their passing game.

After their goal - and, as Gaz said, one assumes the ref was not aware of the fact or nature of the injuries - I thought we adjusted well. Ofoborh was utter class - every touch he made was golden and he seems able to put himself about too. Resembled Eze with steel - perhaps the ultimate compliment.

Extremely pleased for JJ to have had such a great day and to be interviewed in front of the terrace after the game by Colin(?) Murray. BBC website showing the second as an OG so no hattrick unfortunately.

Freeman gets my MOTM - absolute class throughout with some brilliant touches and passes. If he could put the ball in the net, he'd be Championship plus.

• A great summary, @HCblue.

• Yes, the ref made a fatal mistake not blowing fir the head injury, footage is damning as he sees it, has whistle to lips then allows the play to continue. Dont think we will see him at FL level again. Quest were covering our game in depth so it will be further exposed.

Do not let that detract though from a great team performance. Everyone played superbly. Freeman is an exquisite footballer, both he and Samuel both so deserve a goal for all of their footballing brilliance. 5-0 would not have been an unfair scoreline today. Blown away by us today and disappointed with Lincoln. Oh and boy does this loanee from Bournemouth look a player...

• Wow what a win freeman and jj superb shame freeman didn’t cap his performance with a goal absolute shocker from the ref but the injustice really galvanised the team and the fans. I was really impressed with Ofoborh when he came on great passing, defensive head and adds a lot more of a physical presence to our midfield and if he keeps it up we won’t need to rush Thompson back. Hats off the to the gaffer made great subs which changed the game and put the momentum back in our favour come on you blues

• @thecatwwfc said:

@drcongo said:

I get that. I'm ecstatic, I really am. I simply made a point about staying grounded (because of what happened last season after being 8th/9th for large periods of the season, albeit it made for an exciting finish)....and I have three people on at me?!?

While it's certainly wise to be calm, last year's peak was based on a few loanees, who we knew were likely to go back.

This season, we have a more packed squad, and have 2-3 player who were, or would have been key players last year out at the moment.

A lot of us genuinely excited how on earth we're going to choose 2 from Fred, Arrans, Smyth, Wheeler, Kashket when all are fit.

• JJ scored all three today.

The first half tactics were an unexpected master stroke.

So glad Bloomers is ok and the referee should be made to make him drinks for a week and more seriously should never referee again.

Nick Freeman was a joy

• Magical time to be a Wandererer. I had a feeling about this season not only are we winning but playing with style and lots of grit. Can't remember the last time I saw so many people on there feet to applaud a player as they did today for Alex Samual.

• That actually felt different watching us today. I can’t recall seeing us so in control of a league game for a long long time.

I thought at the start that GA may be being a bit too clever leaving out Bayo ageist a team like Lincoln but first half they didn’t have a clue what they were doing against us.

Calling the team together to (presumably) calm emotions and refocus following Matt’s injury and that appalling few seconds of refereeing shows how good GA has become as a manager.

After that we coped brilliantly with the threat from Akinde and as others said could and perhaps should have had more.

So pleased for JJ and goals aside I thought he defended superbly when needed as well today.

It was a weakened Lincoln side but first half especially they looked like they were struggling to cope with the intensity of our play.

Absolute delight today (and liking the Village). There will be a lot tougher tests ahead but where in the past we have performed greater than the sum of our parts to get to where we are, at the moment pretty much all the parts look in perfect condition.

Out of curiosity, it would be interesting to see the average age of the starting 11 today compared to this time last year. We suddenly seem to have become a young(ish) team.

• Amazing today

• @Malone said:

@thecatwwfc said:

@drcongo said:

While it's certainly wise to be calm, last year's peak was based on a few loanees, who we knew were likely to go back.

This season, we have a more packed squad, and have 2-3 player who were, or would have been key players last year out at the moment.

A lot of us genuinely excited how on earth we're going to choose 2 from Fred, Arrans, Smyth, Wheeler, Kashket when all are fit.

Very well said. Yes I am looking forward to seeing what happens when the above name scome back! Not a bad problem to have, as long as we can keep everyone happy (including me!)

• Spot on tactics today. Lincoln wanted to look after the ball and try to move it around to pull us out of position. We simply let their defenders have the ball and refused to be moved around. Then when their game plan changed we reacted quickly to give us some extra physicality.

The new loanee in central midfield looked superb. Strong in the tackle, great eye for a pass. Aarons not on for long but looked exciting. It is incredible how well the squad has come together despite so many new faces in a short space of time.

Freeman really is looking the part now. Moves the ball brilliantly, and can cross, dribble on both feet and pass well, which gives us so many attacking options from just one player. Learning to use his body so much better too and seems to have realised when it is time for a trick and when he needs to be more conservative. If we can coach goals into the side and keep competing at the upper end of Lg 1 he could be worth a small fortune in a year or so.

I am a little concerned at what this may be costing us in player wages but for the moment it is certainly good to watch and incredible to be top of league 1 and unbeaten after 7 games.

Dreadful refereeing on their goal. Lincoln may have scored anyway even if the injured players hadn’t been there. But we simply can’t defend the six yard box probably when there are potentially seriously injured players laying on the deck in front of goal. The referee failed in his duty of care to the players in my opinion.

• JJ, Freeman, Bloomfield, the new guys, all superb, but let us not forget Allsop made two brilliant saves. Well played Ryan

• I've got to agree with Righty, Nick Freeman was unreal today

• Wonderful performance. First half in particular a tactical masterclass. Their goal possibly - against stiff competition - the single worst refereeing decision I have ever seen.