Skip to content

WWFC Acquisition Update

1235»

Comments

• Absolutely spot on Perfidious Albion, it’s one of the things I’ve suggested to the new regime. People are quick to criticise new initiatives like this, but if you don’t try them you’ll never know if they could succeed.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I don’t think you’ll find many tourists in places like Burnley, Wolverhampton, Sheffield, Watford etc but you will find their grounds full to capacity virtually every week.

You have an endearing habit of telling half the tale. You failed to mention Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United in your tourist free club list I wonder why .

• I said that most PL grounds were full every week, you said they were ‘full of tourists’ which is obviously nonsense.
    Of course some tourists go to some grounds, but they represent a very small percentage of the overall attendances.

• 19 home league games at Old Trafford, each with a capacity of 76k. The article says 109k overseas visitors to Old Trafford in a year.

So (excluding cup games which would push the percentage down further) tourists account for 7.5% of attendance even at the club with the most overseas visitors.

• Looks like I’ve caught the habit of telling half the tale from you. The total aggregate attendance at PL games last season was 14.62 million of which 800,000 were ‘tourists’.
    I’m no mathematician but that seems like a pretty small percentage to me.

• My attendance has risen since 2007 I can confirm that

• @Chris said:
    19 home league games at Old Trafford, each with a capacity of 76k. The article says 109k overseas visitors to Old Trafford in a year.

So (excluding cup games which would push the percentage down further) tourists account for 7.5% of attendance even at the club with the most overseas visitors.

Did that figure include just visitors for the stadium tour. Never been to a match there but have done the stadium tour when I had nothing better to do?

• Right now Wanderers are the highest position in the football pyramid we have ever been in the history of the club! Let’s not bicker, let’s be as one and let’s not mess up this wonderful opportunity.

• I'd suggest the change in kick off times from 3pm on a Saturday to sometime at the weekend for 30-40% of PL fixtures has had a positive impact on FL attendances.
    I also think the significant increase in new stadiums around the leagues has also helped.
    The move to try and eradicate hooliganism, racism etc after our European ban in the 80s I would suggest has had a significantly more positive impact on women and children attending matches.
    Significant increase in costs to go to a PL game since 1992 - which has resulted in those with money going to football in the PL to be "seen" and those lovers of football going somewhere they can still afford...
    I have not got stats to back this up but feel these are significant contributors to increased attendances since the PL era and the ones caused by the PL are negative rather than positive.
    However, in 1958 - 500k more fans attended FL games!

• At the risk of sparking a horrifyingly dull cosy analysis email, I still think roll up ticket prices are too high. Not just at Wycombe but psychologically, over £20 is a big ask of people that've been burned before.

Before you start howling, I spoke to some occasional attendees after Saturday’s match, who were enthusiastic about coming again because it wasn’t ‘fucking awful’ like the last few games they’d been to.

Our recent history of scrappy dull play is no-ones fault (you can only play with the resources you’ve got) but it will take time to win some of these people back. It’s worth remembering that while ‘game management’ (what happened to that eh?) is all very clever, it’s not done much to attract the casual supporter.

A few more shows like Saturday and the numbers will start to rise.

• Seems fair, @arnos_grove. It's not been spectacular fare for the visiting neutral.