Skip to content

WWFC Acquisition Update

Comments

• But if I see Mr Parry in the street, should I address him as Mr Glasshalffull! I don't really know what "Gasroom form" is, but if @drcongo has a copy of the same perhaps he could post it.

• The Media elite dont walk in the street !! But i have seen MrGlasshalfull jogging by the River Thames many years ago.

• The Premier League is the greatest deterrent to our gates. When i go back to Wycombe i see more Liverpool/manu/chelsea etc corporate shirts than Wycombe

• Thanks for the suggestion Micra but I gave up expecting courtesy from some posters a long time ago.

• @LX1 said:
    The Premier League is the greatest deterrent to our gates. When i go back to Wycombe i see more Liverpool/manu/chelsea etc corporate shirts than Wycombe

So how do you explain the fact that our average attendances have risen dramatically in the years since the Premier League was introduced?

• @glasshalffull said:
    Thanks for the suggestion Micra but I gave up expecting courtesy from some posters a long time ago.

If you think it’s bad on here, the Facebook gate has entered Drumgate 2: Electric Boogaloo. The drummer has been ejected from the group from what I can tell. It’s a real clusterfuck all round.

• I don’t think it’s that bad on here, actually.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Thanks for the suggestion Micra but I gave up expecting courtesy from some posters a long time ago.

I always try to be courteous to those I respect and earn it.

• Bit disingenuous @glasshalffull. We were a non-league side when the Premier League was formed. And without checking the stats I would bet that our attendances in our first season in the football league were comparable if not better than our last season on the lower tier.

Fair comment and worthy of further debate if by “our” average attendances you mean the wider football league.

But I would personally say that the Taylor report had a bigger benefit on increased attendances than the Premier League, at least in the 90s/00s.

There are some positives that have come out of the Premier League (principally in my view that football has become a more inclusive socially acceptable form of entertainment) but I’m of the view that the negatives (too much money at the top end, lack of genuine competition at the top) do outweigh them.

• @glasshalffull said:

@LX1 said:
    The Premier League is the greatest deterrent to our gates. When i go back to Wycombe i see more Liverpool/manu/chelsea etc corporate shirts than Wycombe

So how do you explain the fact that our average attendances have risen dramatically in the years since the Premier League was introduced?

Quite easily. The pl started in 92. We won the conference in 93

• 'our attendances have risen dramtically' is a typical Parry exaggeration. A 'stanting ovation' moment if I may.

Gates peaked after promotion to the league and the 01 Cup run. They are now less than conference promotion levels

• @mooneyman said:

@glasshalffull said:

I always try to be courteous to those I respect and earn it.

So do I.

• @LX1 said:
    'our attendances have risen dramtically' is a typical Parry exaggeration. A 'stanting ovation' moment if I may.

Gates peaked after promotion to the league and the 01 Cup run. They are now less than conference promotion levels

You have taken one season in isolation. I don’t have the figures to hand but I’m pretty certain that attendances have indeed risen dramatically since the pre-O’Neill era.
    Also, since you claim to know all the answers, here’s another question for you: how do you explain the fact that attendances across the EFL are the highest they’ve been for 60 years?

• Just checked on Chairboys on the Net and it’s safe to say that there has been no dramatic increase in our average attendance over the past 25 years.

As a League 1 club we consistently sort of seem to get around 5000 plus or minus a few hundred with the post FA Cup semi final year a bit of an outlier at 6000. As a League 2 club knock 500 or so off.

What I did find interesting was that I’d forgotten we’d dipped below 4000 for a couple of seasons 5/6 years ago. We do seem to have recovered from that

• Thanks for that but I was referring to our attendances before the PL came into being.

• Again @glasshalffull it cant really be compared as we were a non-League side at that time.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I don’t think it’s that bad on here, actually.

Whenever I think the gasroom is bad I spend a few minutes on the Facebook group. What a shambles.

• edited September 2019

@glasshalffull said:
    how do you explain the fact that attendances across the EFL are the highest they’ve been for 60 years?

How do you explain the number of people drowning in swimming pools being consistent with the number of films starring Nicholas Cage? Eh?

• @bookertease said:
    Again @glasshalffull it cant really be compared as we were a non-League side at that time.

I agree but I’m just trying to make the point that attendances across the whole of the FL have actually grown since the PL was formed.

• I’m sure you know the difference between causation and correlation right?

• I know the difference between claiming that the PL is a deterrent to higher crowds in the FL and the statistics suggesting otherwise.

• @glasshalffull said:

@bookertease said:
    Again @glasshalffull it cant really be compared as we were a non-League side at that time.

I agree but I’m just trying to make the point that attendances across the whole of the FL have actually grown since the PL was formed.

May have something to do with the fact that a lot of the "big" teams with large support bases have dropped into the FL in recent years. Leeds, Forest, Sheffield Wed and Utd (until this season) and Sunderland.

• Of course, but you can’t escape the fact that FL attendances have not been adversely affected by the PL, quite the opposite in fact. The same is true of the National League.

• @drcongo said:
    I’m sure you know the difference between causation and correlation right?

I don't think he does

• @glasshalffull said:

@LX1 said:
    'our attendances have risen dramtically' is a typical Parry exaggeration. A 'stanting ovation' moment if I may.

You have taken one season in isolation. I don’t have the figures to hand but I’m pretty certain that attendances have indeed risen dramatically since the pre-O’Neill era.
    Also, since you claim to know all the answers, here’s another question for you: how do you explain the fact that attendances across the EFL are the highest they’ve been for 60 years?

I have referenced 3 seasons there whilst looking at gates over the period.

I have not claimed 'to know all the answers' (weird)

I would guess efl attendances have risen due to the shit served up by the pl and the people who pretend to support the 'big six' in pubs across south Bucks and elsewhere. I think it'sclear that kids would rather pretend to support a Liverpool or a man city than Wycombe nowadays

• Your theory that EFL attendances have risen ‘due to the shit served up by the PL’ is weird, to use your own word.
    If PL attendances had gone down because fans were deserting it in favour of the EFL, you might have a case. However, most PL grounds are full every week.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Your theory that EFL attendances have risen ‘due to the shit served up by the PL’ is weird, to use your own word.
    If PL attendances had gone down because fans were deserting it in favour of the EFL, you might have a case. However, most PL grounds are full every week.

Full of tourists

• I think it is possible to argue that the implementation of the Premier League has had an overall net benefit in terms of increased attendances throughout the Football League. Not provable of course but I’m happy to consider it as an entry in the positive column.

To be honest with the vast sums of money that have been thrown at (some) football clubs and the inevitable upgrading of facilities and the ‘game day experience’ it would be disappointing if that wasn’t the case.

I think it is also reasonable to include a significant increase in technical ability and quality amongst Premier League clubs as a plus (if you happen to be interested in high quality football - and many people quite reasonably place other values nice that).

On the negative side, I can personally see several markers but picking just one that has sufficient weight on its own for it to tip the Premier League into (for me) the ‘overall bad’ pot is the system of parachute payments.

This ludicrous system has weighted the system purely in favour of the ‘haves’ and ‘recently hads’. Therefore to try and compete on a reasonably equal footing the ‘have nots’ suddenly have to throw money they don’t have (TV revenue) but their newly relegated competitors do have.

• I don’t think you’ll find many tourists in places like Burnley, Wolverhampton, Sheffield, Watford etc but you will find their grounds full to capacity virtually every week.

• The football pyramid is a given. We have to work round it. Stand on any Chiltern Lines rail station on a Saturday and there will be loads of Premier League fans going up to London. What do they do on alternate Saturdays? We need to find a way of making Wanderers their second club, who knows they may even be converted but in the short term incremental gate receipts and increases food & beverage income will do.