Skip to content

WWFC Acquisition Update

Comments

• Could be they see recession coming to the US and want to get some of their money out of the country to the sunny uplands of an England free of Europe. What could go wrong?

• edited September 2019

Yes, football league clubs in general spend beyond their means (how many clubs are actually self sufficient??), but that doesn't mean is not sky / the PLs fault, at least partly.

They've created the environment and kept all the money at the top, and with promotion / relegation that has led us to emerge we are now, that FL clubs are in general not viable businesses.and need propping up

• @rmjlondon said:
    I don't think he really has a lot of money, maybe 12/15 million

Richie, where have you pulled this number from? The same cavity you found our emergency loan goalkeeper in?

• Comparisons with Mr Hayes seem odious to me, not least because I was under the impression that his main focus was on the future of Wasps (a local rugby club) and some attendant property and stadium developments.

• @micra said:
    Comparisons with Mr Hayes seem odious to me, not least because I was under the impression that his main focus was on the future of Wasps (a local rugby club) and some attendant property and stadium developments.

He didn't own Wasps until some way into his tenure as custodian of Wycombe.

• That was a response to @Commoner’s post which I admit I probably didn’t read as carefully as the content may have warranted.

• basically if we vote no the club is finished unless somebody else wants to come in and clear the debt.

• @eric_plant said:
    Just out of interest, how much money does Rob Couhig have? You've described him as very wealthy.

He's described himself as not being wealthy enough to prop up the football club for any real length of time.

How long before we're back in the same boat?

ps. I know he's said that the plan is to increase the attendances. It's a good aim to have, but having supported Wycombe for decades now I know as well as you do that there is a ceiling on what can be achieved in that regard. Dreams of 8-10K every week are simply that, pipe dreams. Deep down you know it too

I have no idea how much money Mr.Couhig has and wealth is a relative term anyway. Suffice to say that he has enough to take a gamble on investing some of his money into our club.
    Regarding our future potential, Adams Park holds around 9,000 so that is currently our potential average attendance. I disagree that it’s a pipe dream to reach that figure. Who knows what the future holds?
    When I started watching Liverpool they were in the old Second Division playing to crowds of around 20,000 in a decaying Anfield. Today they are one of the biggest clubs in the world. Who would have dreamed of that happening back in the 1960’s?
    There are countless other examples of clubs that climbed the ladder from the lowest levels...Wycombe have played league games against Burnley, Southampton, Bournemouth, Brighton, Norwich and Watford, all of them now members of the PL.
    Anything is possible if you have ambition.

• I would think we would get 8 to 9 thousand in the Championship and with a bigger away end even more.

• And, in fairness, I think your description was “genuinely wealthy” @glasshalffull.

• Micra, as I said wealth is relative. Does he have more money than you and I? I’m sure he does. Does he have more money than Abramovich? I very much doubt it.
    What I meant was that Mr.Couhig was genuinely wealthy compared to the man in charge at Bury whose business record is something to behold!

• @glasshalffull in terms of the size of the club, Bournemouth is the only one that makes any sense there, as you well know. And they didn't get into the Premier League on the strength of increased attendances in the Championship, as you well know.

Richie mentioned Yeovil getting 9,000 in the Championship. Where are those supporters now? And where are Yeovil now?

All seems a bit "live the dream", to coin a phrase made famous by Peter Risdale. How did that work out for Leeds?

• yes but if we don't vote for the takeover we will be below Yeovil and Maidenhead and Id rather not have the club than this tbh !!

• @glasshalffull said:

@eric_plant said:
    Just out of interest, how much money does Rob Couhig have? You've described him as very wealthy.

He's described himself as not being wealthy enough to prop up the football club for any real length of time.

How long before we're back in the same boat?

ps. I know he's said that the plan is to increase the attendances. It's a good aim to have, but having supported Wycombe for decades now I know as well as you do that there is a ceiling on what can be achieved in that regard. Dreams of 8-10K every week are simply that, pipe dreams. Deep down you know it too

I have no idea how much money Mr.Couhig has and wealth is a relative term anyway. Suffice to say that he has enough to take a gamble on investing some of his money into our club.
    Regarding our future potential, Adams Park holds around 9,000 so that is currently our potential average attendance. I disagree that it’s a pipe dream to reach that figure. Who knows what the future holds?
    When I started watching Liverpool they were in the old Second Division playing to crowds of around 20,000 in a decaying Anfield. Today they are one of the biggest clubs in the world. Who would have dreamed of that happening back in the 1960’s?
    There are countless other examples of clubs that climbed the ladder from the lowest levels...Wycombe have played league games against Burnley, Southampton, Bournemouth, Brighton, Norwich and Watford, all of them now members of the PL.
    Anything is possible if you have ambition.

Sounds a bit 'If you build it they will come'

Liverpool's average attendances were all over 30,000 in their Division 2 days with hardly any below 20,000 crowds.

Also it's very interesting to take a snapshot in time and say who we've played now on the millionaires league. We've also played teams like Yeovil who recently had time in the Championship but are now out the league.

This shows the dilemma we have. New owners can work or might not. Blind faith and Field of Dreams comments switch people of from debate as much as the argument that all owners will be bad.

All I know is we're going to have to decide on very imperfect information and making stuff up doesn't help

• I wouldn't want to reach the Premier League with its stale, corporate football and robots refereeing the games. I can't think of anything worse than where the Premier League is so obviously heading.

• Imperfect information @Right_in_the_Middle ? Maybe I’m naive (I know damn well I can be) but the presentation we’re expecting to have in the next month or so is described as a presentation to all Trust members of the overall shape and details of the agreement.

• I have to say I think it unlikely that crowds will increase to anywhere near 8000-9000.

I have to say I think it fairly likely the Coehig's will sell up again say in five years time.

I don't see the coehig's proposal as offering guaranteed financial security for the next twenty years.

I do see the coehig's proposal as offering financial security for the next couple of years and potential financial security beyond that time either under their ownership or others.

I don't see how commitments already made (wages, HMRC, utilities, coach company for away travel) could possibly be met for this season if the Coehig bid was rejected.

I don't see how even back in July, the club could realistically have expected to remain in Lg1 given resources available to it without the coehig investment.

If the club had fallen into Lg2 with reduced TV, premier and gate income, I don't see how the club could realistically have expected to remain in Lg2 for more than a season or two.

Same then goes for the National League.

I would have seen a real risk that it was impossible to cut costs as fast as revenues were falling and that the club would have failed.

So for me, even if a time machine was invented and we went back to July (before current commitments made) the choice was between guaranteed short term financial stability and possible long term stability from the Coehig bid OR highly likely meltdown without it.

Without a credible alternative plan, I don't really see how you can reject the one plan we have (but then I didn't vote for brexit)

Of course as I am sure others will point out, I don't have a vote or get to games

• Presumably this is copied and pasted from the Luby/Collis thread?

• @eric_plant said:

Richie mentioned Yeovil getting 9,000 in the Championship.

Now much as I like to upset richie and decry his numbers and knowledge...I have to agree that if we were in the championship we would get a rise in attendance just by reason of the size of the clubs and their relative fame that we would be playing. Whether or not it would mean 9000 gates every home game I cannot be sure, but I think it would improve and we would make some money from visiting bigger clubs Forest, Birmingham, etc etc wouldn't we?

• I am sure we would in the (unlikely surely) event we made the championship, @Wendoverman , but in order to vaguely compete, costs would have to increase hugely also.

• Who are these mysterious Coehigs? Even my phone knows better and had to be overruled.

• Exactly that Wendoverman. I guess this whole debate is about one’s personal philosophy. As my nom de plume suggests, whilst being mindful of the risks I like to look for the positives in any scenario. Others-and that is their prerogative-prefer to concentrate on the negatives.
    Anyway, I have work to do for a game I’m covering tomorrow (not for Sky) so signing off for now.

• Coehig or Couhig?

Less we say about the E/U debate the better.

• Why mention it then?

• @Cyclops said:
    Why mention it then?

Twas a joke based on spelling confusion around the E and the U in the name of our new benefactors amonst posters rather than an attempt to derail the thread in a topical news manner @Cyclops

• Eau, I see, thank you @Wendoverman . The "joke" passed me by. I never been known for my sense of humour.

• Well I never @Cyclops !

• I think it is probably worth mentioning that EVERYTHING that is wrong with this country (whatever that is now), can be relatively easily directly linked to Rupert Murdoch’s megalomania (if it takes you more than 3 steps you aren’t really trying).

• @glasshalffull said:
    LX1, Owners who spent more money than they had resulted in Bury being liquidated, not Rupert Murdoch and certainly not me. 91 other clubs have managed to survive in the PL era and as an aside, attendances in the FL have grown year on year since the PL was formed and are currently at a 60 year high.
    That’s a fact, not an arrogant opinion.

Isn't it a "fact" that we are also spending more than we have Mr Parry?

• Call me old-fashioned (please don’t bother) but isn’t it Gasroom form and common courtesy (or perhaps not so common) to refer to other posters by their username @mooneyman ?