Skip to content

AFC Norbiton and other various chants yesterday

124»

Comments

• edited September 2019

Indeed @bookertease, there's a fair bit of disagreement in this thread but all (with the possible exception of me ;)) expressed with intelligence and a position of looking to understand the opposite view.

I'm unsure about bannings for minor breaches, but would fully be in favour of a regular column in the programme from David Wheeler that might go some way to educating them. I would even start buying a programme if that happened.

• I must confess that I'd never heard of 8chan or 4chan until reading about it on this thread.

It's an interesting discussion this though, and I suspect that those I am in most agreement with on it are in or around the same age as me.

And I am forced to remember, somewhat uncomfortably, that in my younger days I participated in chants that today make me ashamed. Is this because society in general has changed, or is it because I've grown up? Probably a bit of both (or at least I hope so). But it's worth remembering before we pile in to condemn the "youth of today"

• @Chris said:

@WanderingDays said:

@Chris said:
    Terrible and inapt analogies are one thing, but is there any need for dated regionalism like people from Liverpool are car thieves?

You've really jumped to a false conclusion there. My Dad is a born-and-bred Scouser and I regularly visit the city to see family. You regularly get kids asking to "mind your car". Its not a stereotype or insult about car theft at all. Just an illustration of a point the original poster was trying to make.

I live less than twenty miles from Liverpool, I travel there a lot (in the last two weeks I’ve been there for both work and for leisure.) I’ve never had anyone ask to mind my car, and the implication of that statement is pretty clear to me.

My brother in law lives in Warrington and is a season ticket holder at Everton. He pays every game he attends, it's just easier he says. So, maybe it is regionalised within Liverpool? I have only been to Liverpool once & parked in a shopping centre car park. Match days I understand are a different animal.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@Chris said:

@WanderingDays said:

@Chris said:
    Terrible and inapt analogies are one thing, but is there any need for dated regionalism like people from Liverpool are car thieves?

You've really jumped to a false conclusion there. My Dad is a born-and-bred Scouser and I regularly visit the city to see family. You regularly get kids asking to "mind your car". Its not a stereotype or insult about car theft at all. Just an illustration of a point the original poster was trying to make.

I live less than twenty miles from Liverpool, I travel there a lot (in the last two weeks I’ve been there for both work and for leisure.) I’ve never had anyone ask to mind my car, and the implication of that statement is pretty clear to me.

My brother in law lives in Warrington and is a season ticket holder at Everton. He pays every game he attends, it's just easier he says. So, maybe it is regionalised within Liverpool? I have only been to Liverpool once & parked in a shopping centre car park. Match days I understand are a different animal.

Yeah, admittedly lots of the times it has happened have been when parking in the streets before Everton matches. But I've experienced it a number of times in different contexts e.g. parking outside pubs or other venues where a lot of people may be expected to congregate.

Its almost certainly less likely to happen in the city centre!