Skip to content

Ringing The Blues

Comments

• Another superb piece of broadcasting Phil. This podcast has become an integral part of supporting the Blues and you host it brilliantly. Wonderful to hear ‘Ted’ Rogers, a great guy and great excellent player.
    PS Was that Sido in the background on the Southend commentary? Hilarious!

• I heard he was terrific value.

• Another great episode, Ted was everything you wanted, paid for his own fare to try out, and had a good career with the blues. His wife played for Denham ladies and played for the indies team a couple of times, in the season or 2 when i played. On a side note, how bad was Adams treatment of the team then. I know he fell out with Currie, Senda and Johnson.

• Brilliant again Phil. Thank you.

• Ted was a real gent at WWFC and he's still the same, such a nice guy & good to hear he is still promoting the club in Canada.

• Top stuff Phil.

Should have got someone to do a Southend accent for the opposition view though.

• Fantastic interview with Ted. Great to hear him reliving one of the lesser remembered highlights of the great cup run, his goal at Grimsby. I always seem to remember that goal more clearly than our other two that night - probably because it was at our end, and sealed the tie.

• @glasshalffull said:
    PS Was that Sido in the background on the Southend commentary? Hilarious!

It certainly was. His voice got higher the nearer the ball went to Southend's goal.

• Thanks everyone for the kind words and glad that so many of you are enjoying these. Early warning, I'm off on holiday on the 4th Sept so there will be a brief hiatus whilst I get some sleep somewhere hot (hopefully)

Looking at getting a few fans on the pod around mid Sept to discuss the state of the squad and form etc. The idea will be to have a fan from each side of the ground. I'm sorted for a fan from the terrace so I'm after a Frank Adams regular and somebody from the main stand.

Most likely to be recorded on a Thursday evening. I have access to the studio in Dunstable but I understand that is a pain in the arse to get to but I could rush to a round of drinks in the Spoons next door! Failing that, I can try and find a solution in High Wycombe...

Apply within. Will look to do this kind of format every couple of months

Cheers all,
    Phil

• Please don't go on holiday Phil, we'll miss your coverage!

No, seriously you deserve a nice warm break. The podcast, radio commentary, and general coverage you provide are a massive contributor to the feel good factor right now.

• The interviews this week were excellent. Top work again.

• Very interesting podcast Phil although I did prefer your earlier editions as they included more Wycombe content.
    Not a criticism, just a personal observation.
    Here’s another: what is it with Wimbledon fans? Describing us as thugs, cheats, divers etc and GA as an odious manager is so over the top. This from a club who once gloried in their reputation for physicality and intimidation makes their criticism even more hypocritical.

• Thanks Phil. particularly valuable for those of is living a long way away.

One small request though (which obviously you are totally free to ignore).

"Spoons" should surely be a big no. 1) far better on principle always surely to put your money into the pocket of a small businessman running his local pub against the odds trying to feed his family rather than a very large PLC 2) putting a single penny into the pocket of the truly odious largest shareholder of that particular business should be resisted at all costs.

• Great listen, thanks. Bulgaria was a genius choice.

• @glasshalffull More Wycombe content lined up after I return from holiday (a holiday I clearly need as I tweeted above that we drew 1-1!) Hopefully we never get to experience setting up a phoenix club ourselves, but I fear that a few clubs may end up this way if nothing changes.

Agree on the Wimbledon fans. I always thought that we might have more of an affinity with the other fan owned clubs, but they tend to dislike us as much as the others. Normally the hatred stems from WW getting results, but Wimbledon can't complain about that.

@DevC I'm working on a High Wycombe location to record at, which also offers a much wider (and closer) range of pubs.

• If anyone is about in (south) London later, I'm planning on going to Dulwich Hamlet v Maidstone United.

Matt McClure up top for Maidstone who are coached by Hakan Hayrettin

• I'd have been well up for that if I hadn't been working for 14 hours straight after no sleep.

• When the Couhigs set up the Wycombe hall of fame Paul Dennis should be one of the first inductees

• That's worth a thread of its own...

• Great to see my original home town club getting off to a winning start, even if it is over 65 years since I was a regular fan. Two ex Wycombe players (at least, I’ve not checked the squad).

• Whoops! Will de Havilland now at Dover.

• My goodness we missed you on commentary yesterday Phil.

You’re not allowed to have time out during the season from now on! ;)

• We really did. The number of times the “stand-ins” attributed players to the wrong club (eg Allsop to Lincoln) was remarkable.
    And my favourite moment was when one of them said “Lu....Lincoln are....”.

• Terrific as always and improved the Monday morning commute no end.