Skip to content

David Wheeler Signs

123457»

Comments

• Not my [email protected] I never define nothing me. It is a measure that is used I believe. Would you not accept that if two people are working but still not able to pay for essentials that might constitute a measure of poverty?

• @Wendoverman said:
    Not my [email protected] I never define nothing me. It is a measure that is used I believe. Would you not accept that if two people are working but still not able to pay for essentials that might constitute a measure of poverty?

It's possible that the definition of "essentials" might be debatable.

• Love the post, @micra. Politics is a bit like watching a Punch and Judy show, then suddenly realizing the crowd around you is deeply invested and divided as to whether Punch or Judy is going to be the one to change the world...

• Thanks @Shev. I was simply trying to come to terms with what seemed to me an extraordinarily high (scary indeed) number of people living in poverty. @HCblue is a respected member of the teaching profession and, to be honest, I was taken aback by his one word comment on a post I’d struggled to put together with only a superficial grasp of Social Metrics (or whatever “science” it is that attempts to define and put a number on the proportion of the population who are “living in poverty “.). I shall stick to football and related issues in future.

• Please forgive me, @micra. My reply to your earlier, eminently reasonable, post was not by any measure a serious one, instead being a parody "black and white" response of the sort you properly deprecated. I hoped the abruptness and ridiculous and unfounded extremity of the sentiment expressed would highlight its insincerity, being intending merely to mock the polarised form of what passes for discourse in the less temperate, more partisan areas of the interweb but clearly failed to do so. I am extremely sorry not to have exercised better judgement in the circumstances. Levity is clearly best attempted by the sober.

• I’m sometimes over sensitive @HCblue. I honestly thought you saw me as some right wing pontificating oik (which I very definitely am not) but I did wonder also, given the time of day (well, night) if a beer or two might have “influenced” your comment! It seemed so out of character.

• I agree with@micra. Politics is the root of all evil. All evil i tells ye

• @Wendoverman said:
    Not my [email protected] I never define nothing me. It is a measure that is used I believe. Would you not accept that if two people are working but still not able to pay for essentials that might constitute a measure of poverty?

Does it even need the two people working part?
    Surely someone who can't pay for essentials is in poverty regardless of work?

• I suppose it serves to underline what is seen (justifiably) as an outrageous state of affairs. It’s just the suggested scale of it that I sought to question.

Enough, I’ve got immersed in a political issue more than I intended (or have ever done before). I blame David Wheeler !

• @HCblue said:

@Wendoverman said:

It's possible that the definition of "essentials" might be debatable.

I assume the people doing the government sponsored report would not have counted fags beer crisps crack cocaine and Gregg pasties as essentials @hcblue though I'm sure if they could have pointed at those and blamed the great unwashed for their own problems they would have!!I