Skip to content

David Wheeler Signs

Comments

• What evidence do you adduce @bookertease to your comment that people are less outraged by the treatment of disabled people by the government and “the system” than they are by people making making jokes about them? Seems a slightly odd juxtaposition and a very difficult comparison to make.

• Is there any humour foul enough that someone on here won't justify or claim people "don't get?"

• The evidence is that in the 5th (or 6th) largest economy we, as a society, seem to tolerate something that our government has imposed that I find reprehensible and grossly offensive and truly deserving of our outrage. Instead we are encouraged (through a lot of the media) to be shocked and outraged at the lack of taste and decency of one person (in this case Frankie Boyle).

I accept it isn’t the greatest argument but I don’t think it’s that unreasonable to draw a comparison as I have a feeling that part of the purpose of that type of humour is to draw attention to the hypocrisy (not the best word) of the offended. The Farage being offended when he had expressed similar sentiments is probably a better example.

• By the way, from memory I do seem to remember that the Harvey Price ‘joke’ did go beyond the bounds of taste and decency and that Frankie Boyle paid the price in being released by the BBC for a good while.

With a comedian who is pushing at the boundaries of acceptability to provoke a response and initiate change (which I believe good comedy can do - see Monty Python for example) there is a risk of that happening, but one misstep should not cloud the wider picture.

• To be honest, I struggled to get my head round the question of what outrages people more and I gave up reading newspapers a few years ago so my sense of the relative levels of outrage is based on very little evidence or even hearsay. As someone who has family members highly dependent on the NHS and also certain benefits I am only too aware of the shortcomings and frustrations that can occur. They are far from outraged by the likes of Frankie Boyle.

• Austerity is of course far worse than Frankie Boyle.

• Never get tired of Frankie's joke where if you give enough shovels to the Scots, they can dig a hole deeper enough and personally hand over Thatcher to Satan.
    And any sane person would concede that Margaret Thatcher was far worse than Frankie Boyle.

• Frankie Boyle can be hilarious and his political columns are good, but he's no Jerry Sadowitz.

• Jerry refers to Boyle as his own second rate tribute act

• Well hasn't this post descended into a load of old bollocks.....

• Steady, Frankie. Children present.

• Latest report says 14.5 million people are living in poverty in this country most of them working. A lot were added on the watch of local christian brexiteer IDS but I believe his wife inherited millions so...you know...swings and roundabouts.

• I hear he is outraged by frankie boyle.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I hear he is outraged by frankie boyle.

Deeply offended.

• Espacially jokes about disabled people who already have to face being passed fit for work by unqualified assessors a week before they die having had their benefits cut. Boyle should be ashamed.

• I'm delighted Fred has returned and like the look of lots of these new players but for me, Wheeler is the one I think we'll look back at as the key signing of the summer (cue season-long injury in his first game for us...)

• Saw jerry sadowitz at college back in the day, very funny but immediately banned by the SU for breaching all the rules around sexism, racism and homophobia....on the other hand it was a really funny night...

I say again, search Jimmy Carr most offensive joke ever for a great explanation of how and why jokes are offensive and yet funny and at the same time telling a really funny and on first hearing a really offensive joke....or is it...? You decide.

Great news on the rebellion tent though...beard lice on standby.

• In one of the articles David Wheeler gives a good explanation of why we pay taxes - Jimmy Carr might learn something.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Latest report says 14.5 million people are living in poverty in this country most of them working. A lot were added on the watch of local christian brexiteer IDS but I believe his wife inherited millions so...you know...swings and roundabouts.

Outrageous.

• Has anyone ever defined “living in poverty “?

• @micra said:
    Has anyone ever defined “living in poverty “?

Two people in work and still not earning enough to pay for essentials and all bills is the measure I'm led to.believe. There's a lot of it about...some of it around Lancashire football clubs apparently!

• Greater Manchester football clubs, to be pedantic.

• Not sure who led you @Wendoverman but that is such an all-embracing yet generalised definition that, short of looking in detail into millions of people’s lifestyles, incomes and outgoings and being able to assess whether they could spend more efficiently and/or sensibly, the astonishing figure of 14.5 million (almost a quarter of the population) looks grossly exaggerated. The element of subjective judgment is (inevitably) substantial.

None of that in any way undermines the argument that there are far too many people who, through no fault of their own (eg profligate spending, excessive self-indulgence, wastefulness), struggle to make ends meet and the blame for that may indeed rest with government, central and local. I am apolitical (or at least like to think I am) and I do get impatient with one or two on here who are immutably (and in some cases very unpleasantly) black and white in their political stances.

• @micra said:
    Not sure who led you @Wendoverman but that is such an all-embracing yet generalised definition that, short of looking in detail into millions of people’s lifestyles, incomes and outgoings and being able to assess whether they could spend more efficiently and/or sensibly, the astonishing figure of 14.5 million (almost a quarter of the population) looks grossly exaggerated. The element of subjective judgment is (inevitably) substantial.

None of that in any way undermines the argument that there are far too many people who, through no fault of their own (eg profligate spending, excessive self-indulgence, wastefulness), struggle to make ends meet and the blame for that may indeed rest with government, central and local. I am apolitical (or at least like to think I am) and I do get impatient with one or two on here who are immutably (and in some cases very unpleasantly) black and white in their political stances.

Nazi.

• Nasty.

• One of those. I always get them confused.