Skip to content

David Wheeler Signs

Comments

• @crabbie said:
    less of a lefty more of a Liberal reformer in the Lloyd George mould, luckily he has a better left foot

Yes, his support for electoral reform, high tax and spend, and welcoming immigration marks him out as an old-school social democrat - the sort of SDPer who voted enthusiastically for Nick Clegg in 2010, felt betrayed by the coalition in 2015 and switched to Ed Miliband, cautiously welcomed Corbyn but now feels nothing but disappointment, came back to the Lib Dems this year because of their position on Brexit and will now become a vocal cheerleader for Jo Swinson going forward. Maybe Tom Watson could win him back to Labour should he ever usurp Corbyn - but that's pretty unlikely, all things considered.

• Hilary (stop.laughing at the back!) Benn could revive labour in my opinion. Jezza for all his years of activism completely fails to land blows that Dennis Skinner could throw in the dark when at the dispatch box despite facing two of the worst prime ministers in our history. And he supports arsenal.

• What a load of political rubbish. Stick to football.

• Is that addressed to @Wendoverman or Jeremy @Blue_since_1990?

• edited July 2019

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    What a load of political rubbish. Stick to football.

Hear Hear. That Lloyd George was always complaining to the ref and used to go to ground far too easily as I recall

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    What a load of political rubbish. Stick to football.

Ditto

• edited July 2019

@bookertease said:
    Is that addressed to @Wendoverman or Jeremy @Blue_since_1990?

that @crabbie started it! Or was it @James ?

• David Wheeler would disapprove of your close-mindedness, @HolmerBlue and @Blue_since_1990 - he's sadly had to deal with that attitude in the dressing-rooms of previous clubs and hopes, I'm sure, the people of High Wycombe are a more enlightened bunch.

• Expects even @aloysius.

• As long as he doesn’t keep passing the ball to Jacob Gardiner-Smith especially when he’s on the bench.

• Kick-off was delayed until the players completed their complex debate on the merits of proportional representation and comedic talents of Ricky gervais.

• Yeah keep your political gub out of footy eh lads?
    Save it for 11pm in your local pub.

• No wonder the country is in such a state with people who think politics has nothing to do with football.

• @drcongo said:
    No wonder the country is in such a state with people who think politics has nothing to do with football.

people who declare 'politics has no place in football' are usually the first to lambast Fifa for not allowing England to have the poppy on their shirt though.

• @drcongo said:
    No wonder the country is in such a state with people who think politics has nothing to do with football.

POTD

• I’m reminded of that wonderful Monty Python sketch about a football match between Greek and German philosophers.
    NB For younger posters, Monty Python was a comedy group that got laughs without swearing or mocking handicapped children.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I’m reminded of that wonderful Monty Python sketch about a football match between Greek and German philosophers.
    NB For younger posters, Monty Python was a comedy group that got laughs without swearing or mocking handicapped children.

I may be giving away my vintage here but I think you'll find the reason most young people at the time liked the Pythons is that as well as the absurdity they did swear albeit sparingly, have rude animations and talked a lot about sex of all sorts. It was on after 9pm you know! Admittedly I do not recall the mocking of the handicapped. I'll give you one that @glasshalffull (And as we have seen elsewhere @Its_Cold_Up_North found mention of the Minehead by-election sketch beyond the pale.)

• NB For @glasshalffull There are, however, those who think that Monty Python's Gumby characters are mocking people who experience learning difficulties.

• I guess, as mentioned on another thread, that it’s a generational thing and comedy is in the eye of the beholder.

• @Uncle_T said:
    NB For @glasshalffull There are, however, those who think that Monty Python's Gumby characters are mocking people who experience learning difficulties.

Oh dear. I admit I never made that connection. Never go back. It's a minefield.

Fawlty had someone pretending to be Spanish, a colonel with some sort of mental illness and a domineering wife. Stick with Terry and June...except for any of the episodes with the visiting Japanese delegation of course...aaaargh!

• @glasshalffull said:
    I’m reminded of that wonderful Monty Python sketch about a football match between Greek and German philosophers.

Here's a video of Malcom Muggeridge basically implying Monty Python are responsible for the breakdown of modern society.

Are you sure you've not just become the 21st century equivalent, now you're old and grumpy?

• A “miserable little film” and a “a squalid number” apparently.

• edited July 2019

How anyone intelligent can watch The Life of Brian and not 'get it' is beyond me. This was like an upper class Jeremy Vine with people getting unnecessarily irate for no good reason.

• Happy to be old and grumpy than cool and trendy if that means finding ‘jokes’ about handicapped children and people with Downs Syndrome deeply offensive.

• Never let it be said you would miss a chance to be offended, @glasshalffull.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Happy to be old and grumpy than cool and trendy if that means finding ‘jokes’ about handicapped children and people with Downs Syndrome deeply offensive.

Call me what you like but I've never been able to listen to The Beatles since John Lennon claimed they were slightly taller than Christ.

• I thought they/he said "bigger than Jesus"?

• @HCblue said:
    Never let it be said you would miss a chance to be offended, @glasshalffull.

Just as well I don’t get offended by cheap jibes.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Happy to be old and grumpy than cool and trendy if that means finding ‘jokes’ about handicapped children and people with Downs Syndrome deeply offensive.

I do agree with you about Frankie Boyle - he crosses the line into offensiveness when 'punching down' for me and I'm not a fan.

However, to extrapolate his example across all of contemporary comedy would be the same as dismissing all 'old' comedy because some of them were racist.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    I thought they/he said "bigger than Jesus"?

Actually he said they were 'more popular than Jesus' @ValleyWanderer but I took that and made a little joke. A poor one I grant you. Tough crowd.