Skip to content

McCarthy on the move?

124»

Comments

• I watched the Sunderland Netflix documentary over the weekend (I'd highly recommend it btw if you haven't seen it yet)

A cautionary tale of what happens when an owner (for whatever reasons) stops funding a football club's operations, Good while it lasts, up shit creek when it's over

• @Shev It was v Scunny (after we were 2-0 down in 7 mins). The chasing down, forcing the mistake, controlling the bouncing ball and slotting it coolly past the keeper. Pure class from CMS, so much to do to create a goal from that position.

Donny was the Paris and Thommo show :-)

Oh for some similar games this coming season...!

• @LeedsBlue said:
    @Shev It was v Scunny (after we were 2-0 down in 7 mins). The chasing down, forcing the mistake, controlling the bouncing ball and slotting it coolly past the keeper. Pure class from CMS, so much to do to create a goal from that positiion

>
    My favourite goal of the season and I think more starts or earlier sub appearances for cms than the usual 80th minute and we might have seen more

• @eric_plant said:
    I find it amazing that fans are writing off a player as good as CMS. He's genuinely one of the best players we've ever had

The same people seem to have decided that Alex Samuel is as good as he ever will be. He showed great promise last season and I'm sure with a full pre-season under his belt he'll be even better this season

Well said @eric_plant but only in the sense of “one of the best players career-wise that we’ve ever had” as could be said about, for example, “Butch” Wilkins and Neil Lennon. Of course we all remember that solo goal he scored against Scunthorpe, not least because it was his last goal for us - more than nine months ago.

But I totally agree with you about young Alex Samuel’s potential.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    As mentioned by @mooneyman the wages will prove difficult, unless Couhig is bankrolling seriously. Hopefully a big chunk of money for McCarthy can cover the outlay of 4/5k a week.

Are you seriously suggesting we would/could whop out 4-5k a week to a player?!

• @Malone said:

@prufrock_91 said:
    As mentioned by @mooneyman the wages will prove difficult, unless Couhig is bankrolling seriously. Hopefully a big chunk of money for McCarthy can cover the outlay of 4/5k a week.

Are you seriously suggesting we would/could whop out 4-5k a week to a player?!

He's not Ronaldo, its been hinted at that £1k is about as high as we tend to go, can't see that Fred would necessarily even come in as top earner let alone us start slapping fortunes about, so far we've signed kids, on loan or from not being in contact, even if the new lot wanted to chuck money about we would need to remember its only borrowed from them at least for the next few months.

• @Malone Pretty sure he's on at least that for Millwall. So if he does come to us it's either a) we've managed to get the cash to meet that b) he has drastically lowered his expectations or c) Millwall are footing some of the wage bill just to get him out of The Den.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    @Shev It was v Scunny (after we were 2-0 down in 7 mins). The chasing down, forcing the mistake, controlling the bouncing ball and slotting it coolly past the keeper. Pure class from CMS, so much to do to create a goal from that position.

Donny was the Paris and Thommo show :-)

Oh for some similar games this coming season...!

Wow! I can't believe I got those mixed up. Thanks for the reminder @LeedsBlue.

• Can't get much more of a certainty that he's off then that!

• @Malone said:
    Can't get much more of a certainty that he's off then that!

I've heard Gareth is leaving for QPR...done deal and I don't speculate

• @Wendoverman said:

@Malone said:
    Can't get much more of a certainty that he's off then that!

I've heard Gareth is leaving for QPR...done deal and I don't speculate

People get a bit salty when we mention Marlowchair and that particular quote, so best move on sharpish.

• @eric_plant said:
    I watched the Sunderland Netflix documentary over the weekend (I'd highly recommend it btw if you haven't seen it yet)

A cautionary tale of what happens when an owner (for whatever reasons) stops funding a football club's operations, Good while it lasts, up shit creek when it's over

True, but what do you do when you’re up shit creek to begin with?

• it's a good point, and sums up why the decision is such a difficult one for many legacy members

• Well McCarthy is obviously gone as he’s not in the team photo.....

• Pity they weren’t able to sneak Fred in!