Skip to content

McCarthy on the move?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Fred usurped by Smyth @Wendoverman ?
    I’m not sure what “usurped” means but they are two diametrically opposite players, physically, style of play and role.
    I agree with @fame_46 (albeit with reservations if he really has been paid a quarter of a million per annum to be virtually unplayable in training but not good enough to play in matches).

He looks to me like a potential successor to Bayo although his close control still needs to improve and his lay-off skills from more central more crowded situations are untested. But the total transformation of his physique since he was with us (as a 17 year old?) is amazing. Would love to see him back here for a third time.

• 450k, think that needs to be doubled at the very least..

• @micra though not like for like I was working on the theory that as an exciting attacking player Smyth might make up for not getting Fred...(possibly usurping Fred in Gareth's plans if you will) but if we get both I am well happy, I will be sad to see Macca go though, but I can see @fame_46 's reasoning.

• That Twitter handle sure looks legit. ?

• @drcongo said:
    That Twitter handle sure looks legit. ?

Probably a load of old shi5

• Assuming Barnsley have a significant sell on clause (that surely was our big bargaining chip in getting him in with the lack of hard cash), then it would make sense for us to try to put together some sort of swap deal with Fred, unless Barnsley can somehow take 50% of Fred!

Plucking round numbers of £1,000,000 for Jason, £500k for Fred and Barnsley sell on of 50% out of thin air, taking Fred and 500k rather than cash effectively gives £250k extra money for another player compared to selling for cash.

• @marlowbistro is your most reliable twitter source

• @username, as well as ludicrously dream world figures, that's borderline fraud.

450k for McCarthy would be an incredible sum.

He's a league 1 right back!

• @Username 1 million for Jason McCarthy? Wasn't that written on a the side of a bus once?

• @Malone said:
    @username, as well as ludicrously dream world figures, that's borderline fraud.

Luton sold James Justin their full back for £10m last month. On that basis, £450k would seem reasonable.

• @Malone said:

Maybe I’m guilty of repeating a scurrilous rumour but didn’t we cheat Basingstoke out of some of the Torres sell on by parcelling up the Martin & Torres transfer deal to make it seem like most of the payment* was for Russell?

*Which seems reasonable in retrospect but less so at the time.

• That was just bistro banter

• I said I was plucking round numbers out of thin air , was just trying to demonstrate the point about trading rather than selling. I've given up trying to value players now, but with their respective contract situations, I'd think McCarthy would be worth more than Fred.

And it's not fraud at all, it's happened before and it'll happen again.

• Nah never happened @Chris (ssshhh you idiot)

• edited July 2019

@mooneyman said:

@Malone said:

Luton sold James Justin their full back for £10m last month. On that basis, £450k would seem reasonable.

Let's hope a colossal fee does come, but I dare say totally different circumstances. Much more noticeable in a table topping team I dare say. Younger etc.

Stable club on the up, rather than well known to be penniless lot.

Similar a few years ago. Exeter sold some forward for a million or so didn't they? I forget who our equivalent player was who went for buttons.

• edited July 2019

Posh spent ~350k on Frankie Kent, a defender from C*l u in league 2. A mill might be high, but we really should be aiming in that ball park.

Am I right in thinking Mccarthy was POTY for Walsall in league 1 pre Barnsley as well? If so, then his playing record is pretty superb apart from one season he wasn't picked.

• @Username said:
    I said I was plucking round numbers out of thin air , was just trying to demonstrate the point about trading rather than selling. I've given up trying to value players now, but with their respective contract situations, I'd think McCarthy would be worth more than Fred.

And it's not fraud at all, it's happened before and it'll happen again.

It's happened before is a fairly crappy defence, trying it on is probably the default. Whether it's challengeable legally or via the wonderours football governing bodies is debatable.

• edited July 2019

Assuming we can trust the 450k offer figure (which is a big assumption) - they aren't going to go in with their BAFO first off, are they...? Bit more dancing round the handbags yet, methinks. We are in a good position because of the length of his contract, and his obvious quality. We say no, they come back with bigger bucks, we say ta v much. Or they say no way Jose and look elsewhere, and we keep a decent player, who's far from unhappy being at the club anyway.

• I think you’ll find the way it normally goes is: buying club makes derisory opening offer, Wycombe accept it.

• That’s why they’re always undisclosed.

• @drcongo said:
    I think you’ll find the way it normally goes is: buying club makes derisory opening offer, Wycombe accept it.

Hopefully we have professional negotiators now so will not get ripped off as we have in the recent past.

• Just came on the friendly, which suggests he’s not about to move to Millwall.

• @drcongo that's the way it used to go...

• And promptly misses a penalty

• And missed a pen.

• That could be why they gave him the pen , and one of the reasons he might not take the next one.

• Fred and Smyth alongside Bayo would be lovely.